Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 PM
bamyi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHhhhhhh crap! My driver motor went out on me again and my passenger won't stay up. It automaticly rolls down a few inches. This all happened in the hail strom yesterday.

With all the time spent cleaning the motor, I wonder if I should just by the 2007 motors from Nissan. Does anyone know if there are less problems between the 2003 and 2007 motors?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by bamyi
With all the time spent cleaning the motor, I wonder if I should just by the 2007 motors from Nissan. Does anyone know if there are less problems between the 2003 and 2007 motors?
That's a really good question. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the info cause I'd really like to know myself.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Road Warrior

autozone ($150) is probably cheaper than the dealer...and a lifetime warranty.

if you are going to replace the motor this seems the best option imo
Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM
iNi_REALiZED

This thread ftw! Thanks to everyone that contributed! Worked perfect. My window hasn't been working properly in a !
Old 05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Azn_Empurio

god the window motor i bought from performance nissan is faulty, ROFL
i shoulda just bought one from autozone, what a waste of money
Old 05-13-2007, 05:54 PM
zxpwr

Thanks Everyone! You just saved me over $400!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I decided to tackle my window motor today.

Symptoms:

So the project took me 2 hours (only because I screwed up). When I cracked open the window motor, there were clunks of black carbon. I used about 20 q-tips and some throttle body cleaner.

NOTE:

Here's where I screwed up the first time. If you look down from the top of the door near the tweeter, there's a track for the glass to sandwich in between. It's 2 metal rods going down covered in rubber. When I took took off the metal panel exposing the window motor, the glass had dropped down and moved outside the track. So when I put everything back together, the window would move up, but rub against the door panel and stop half way. I had to take it all apart again and slide it in between the track.

So anyways, the window has been working at 100% so far. The first thing I noticed is it moved more freely and with less resistance. Hopefully I wont need to take it apart again anytime soon.

Also, I was at Nissan the other week for something unrelated. They noticed my window wasn't working and said it would cost me $60 for them to just look at it. It's kind of bull**** considering we all know what's wrong with these things. I could only imagine how much they'd charge after replacing the thing.
      Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM
      DRIFTU

ok, so my passenger side window was doing the same thing as everyone elses here until it stopped going up and down. After the dealer said i was 1 month out of warranty and would not assit but give me a retarded repair estimate, i ordered a used window motor from a junk yard (I should have check the forums before doing so but...). Anyway, i took apart the whole door panel thing and replaced the motor. It was working great but then when it goes all the way down, it doesnt want to come back up. The "Wack" technique works and that brings it up. I cleaned it out and reset it, but again, if it goes all the way down, it will not go back up unless i wack it.

I took the junk yard motor out and i cleaned out my original one, tons of crap in there, i installed it and reset it and it went down and went up no problem, but when going up, there would be a lot of resistance, like it just iddnt have any power left in it and it eventually just died.

I called autozone, $145 + $40 core charge, lifetime warranty, will be here in 3 days.

Ill keep you guys posted how it works out. This better be the damn last time, screw Nissan and their ****ty *** warranty! can i get a +100!!!
      Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM
      marco_mendoza

+100
      Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
      Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I cleaned mine as well and it seems to be working ok. However it is doing the roll all the way up and then come half was down thing, is there a particular reason why its doing this now?
      Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 AM
      marco_mendoza

cuz it's broken. face it guys, you only extended it's life span a couple more times. Time to buy a new one from Autozone, lifetime warranty, and replace it.
      Old 06-11-2007, 07:29 AM
      tmounk

Another victim of the window problem. Mine has been not been able to come up after it has been down all the way. I tried wacking it and slapping it but no outcome. After some time, it would magically work again. Where on the panel do you guys smack to make it come up again?
      Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 AM
      marco_mendoza

Ha ha, right above the window control console. Above the armrest.
      Old 06-11-2007, 11:06 AM
      tmounk

I keep on smacking, but it doesn't want to *** up......
      Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
      marco_mendoza

Your only choice now is to replace it.
      Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 AM
      Jcolman

Originally Posted by DRIFTU
      I called autozone, $145 + $40 core charge, lifetime warranty, will be here in 3 days.

Ill keep you guys posted how it works out. This better be the damn last time, screw Nissan and their ****ty *** warranty! can i get a +100!!!
      Don't count on replacing your motor and never having to worry about it again. I did the Autozone replacement and nine months later the motor died. Fortunatly Autozone lives up to their "lifetime warranty" and replaced the motor for free.

The upside is that I'm getting pretty good at replacing the motor.
      Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
      350fly

cant believe it!!!!.. i fixed my window motor by taking it off from the regulator... i open it...and close it.... and it works man!!!! ****in crap these motors!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
      3hree5ive0ero
      Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, it seems like I did everything that was written in the how-to.

After I put all the bolts back on, I tried the window switch. My window (which was rolled down all the way before starting) did not come up. I took off the bolts again and saw that I can hear clicks everytime I push down or up on the driver's window switch and the motor gets warm. However, the window does not move at all. What could be the cause of this?

Don't tell me to reset, since in order to reset, the window needs to be functioning. I already cleaned it, so cleaning won't help, neither.

Edit -
      I found the solution. You cannot screw in the coil/magnet piece (the one you need to clean) all the way. If you do that, then the motor will not function. You need to just make sure it's in place (in the hole just enough) so the gold cover can be screwed on.

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 06-12-2007 at 03:58 PM.
      Old 06-12-2007, 05:14 PM
      redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cleaned mine out and it worked good but after a week it started to malfunction again. I figured it would happen but I was hoping it would last a little longer. Oh, well to autozone I go.
      Old 06-13-2007, 04:15 PM
      DRIFTU

UPDATE!

My autozone window motor came in and i installed it in 5 minutes thanks to all the experience i have had!

Anyway, the new motor is working great, manually goes up and down. I messed up on initially resetting it, i held the reset button and put the window up, and then i shut the door and held the reset button and put the window back down. Then i help the reset button again and put the window up, then when i opened the door, the window wouldnt go down the 1/2 inch or so... I should have had the guide with me but i was lazy.

So anyway, i got the guide and i did it the right way, with the door open, i put the window up, then i shut the door. Then i held the reset button and opened the window. Then i let the reset button go and i closed the window. I opened the door and the window works fine, it comes down the 1/2 inch when i open the door, however, when i shut the door, it goes up the 1/2 inch, and then automatically goes back down!!!

Also, the automatic opening does not work properly. When i push all the way down, it will not automatically go down. When i push all the way up, instead of going automatically up, it goes automatically down. WTF is wrong with this thing!! The worste thing is that when i close the door with the window being up, it will just go down by itself!

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)