Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Damn Fuel Pump! Intermittent problem starting car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry, the fuel pump actually turns on for one second with the turn of the key into the on position, then it turns on as soon as you start or try to start it.

my car is having these similar problems, it wont start at all right now, i have replaced the whole fuel system along with the fuses and relays....

didnt solve it, it is definitely a problem a sensor telling it to start. possible one of the speed sensors or the CPS.....
Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

welp just an update to this old *** issue that nissan has been unable to figure out since it started. The good news is that I finally got the car to have a problem at the dealership so they can diagnose it. They are wanting to replace my BCM or (body control module). If that doesn't fix it, they said the next logical part would be the ECM (electronic control module). The BCM is around $500 p&l, and the ECM is $800 p&l. I kinda hate being the guinnea pig for this issue.

I've got my fingers crossed hoping this $500 dollar fix is going to resolve my intermittent starting issue once and for all as it's been going on for a damn near year now and it makes the car seem like a POS. I'll update the thread after the modification has been done and I've had a couple weeks to field test the "fix".

I've basically been dropping my car off at the dealership all day for the past 3 days and luckily it finally did it. Previously I dropped the car off at the dealership about once a month to no avail.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Juztin

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
sorry, the fuel pump actually turns on for one second with the turn of the key into the on position, then it turns on as soon as you start or try to start it.
Exactly, you can hear the fuel pump prime up if you know what to listen for. When this problem would happen I would distinctly notice that my FP was not priming up and I would try and start it and it would just crank all day. Once I'd take the keys out of the ignition and put back in and turn them to the "ON" position till I heard the fuel pump prime up, it would then fire right up like it did on day 1 when i first bought it (less than a second of cranking to start).

After I did the nismo cams, the car would sometimes give me a hard time warm starting, but it would definately start. It would just putter, when I have my starting issue, it doesn't even FIRE at all. NO SPARK. It just turns over endlessly. That's also when I dont hear the FP prime up. When I do hear the FP prime up it's fine, and fires right up.

But Nissan has suspected it something else as they are seeing some codes that are more geared towards the car recognizing the key in the ignition/anti theft module stuff. They've already replaced some kind of attenna module (unrelated to the actual antenna on the back of the car) and that didn't resolve the issue. So they said the next step is the BCM, then ECM. I hope it's stop at the BCM as I already wasted $400 on the antenna module to not have the issue fixed.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:57 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like mine with cams on starting after the engine is heat soaked. I would describe it as a "lazy" start.

I kinda like it. :P reminds me of old muscle cars, especially when it lopes hard.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Juztin

Originally Posted by VandyZ
sounds like mine with cams on starting after the engine is heat soaked. I would describe it as a "lazy" start.

I kinda like it. :P reminds me of old muscle cars, especially when it lopes hard.
LOL, i can relate. I've suprised a couple of bikers before trying to start the car and it loped hard. They asked me if I had a v8 with a high lift cam under the hood

EDIT: So far the car starts - but I'm going to hold my breath until I either pass out or the car still has the starting problem. Hopefully I pass out and the car doesn't have starting issues again.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Juztin

just another update: as of up to today the car has not exhibited any starting issues, i'll update in another month or 2
Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Juztin

long term upate - car is starting fine. This is my last update for this issue unless it ever plagues me again but looks like the last part they replaced did the trick. Good riddance
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Juztin

update 3 years later, after replacing the bcm the car was good and never once acted up, the bcm was the fix in my case. good riddance indeed haha thread bump due to recent pms about the issue
Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take the fuel pump power lines and run them to your radio. That way, it doesnt fire up with ignition but whenever your headunit has power, so does the fuel pump.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 AM
nachospizza

HI there I am having the same cranking problem like yours with your Z so do you still have this problem now after replacing the BCM I mean as of today do you still ownd the Z? Should I buy a new fuel pump or just buy a new BCM? Let me know thanks.

Originally Posted by Juztin
update 3 years later, after replacing the bcm the car was good and never once acted up, the bcm was the fix in my case. good riddance indeed haha thread bump due to recent pms about the issue
Old 01-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Hayden Bean

Originally Posted by nachospizza
HI there I am having the same cranking problem like yours with your Z so do you still have this problem now after replacing the BCM I mean as of today do you still ownd the Z? Should I buy a new fuel pump or just buy a new BCM? Let me know thanks.

I’m having this same problem. Fuel pump won’t prime car won’t crank. Take key out and re try and it works. Did the BCM fix it for you?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:56 PM
dj_saki

Default Is the BCM the fix?

Originally Posted by Hayden Bean
I’m having this same problem. Fuel pump won’t prime car won’t crank. Take key out and re try and it works. Did the BCM fix it for you?
I've been having this problem for several years on my '05. It comes and it goes. No one was able to fix it. Cam sensors and battery were replaced. The fact that it's intermittent, has made it impossible for anyone to confirm fixes.

Did the BCM work for you?
Old 03-28-2021, 10:21 AM
Larry Wightman

Originally Posted by dj_saki
I've been having this problem for several years on my '05. It comes and it goes. No one was able to fix it. Cam sensors and battery were replaced. The fact that it's intermittent, has made it impossible for anyone to confirm fixes.

Did the BCM work for you?
yes