Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 PM
03performz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow..you guys seemed to have gotten pretty heated over this topic. Relax man we're all Z bros. here.
My decision on this topic was tough. I do all of my maintenance and wrenching myself...since I bought my first car..but I read the recall instructions and they seemed like a LOT of B.S. for a couple of hoses. You have to drop the whole subframe..what a pain in the a**. I figured that its Nissan's F'up so I'm going to make them fix it. I am worried that one of their idiots is going to leave bolts loose or something, so I'm going to go over the car as thoroughly as possible when I pick it up, and just hope that someone else can do their job as well as I do mine. Peace.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:39 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by Nano
this is just as overblown as the car catching fire. lol
hardly. I watched the service mechanics at my stealership toss a wrench....mechanic missed the wrench and is smashed right into a customer's car.

The two looked at it like then then one of them said '**** it, if he notices we'll just say it came in that way'.

Stealerships for teh loose.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:11 AM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
hardly. I watched the service mechanics at my stealership toss a wrench....mechanic missed the wrench and is smashed right into a customer's car.

The two looked at it like then then one of them said '**** it, if he notices we'll just say it came in that way'.

Stealerships for teh loose.
Reminds me of a incident on a mustang board a few years back . Chick took her stang cobra into the dealership shop and the techs decided to do some joy riding. Turns out one of them bragged about it on another board with enough info to get him nailed.

For incompetence and lousy service, my nissan service dept has actually beat the mediocre at best service i got thorugh the local pontiac dealership when i drove a 95 firebird.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 AM
ANXIOUZ

I'm going to hold off on this for a while. When the dealer can't confirm that my rear hatch won't open...on 4 different occasions...I'm not so sure of their honesty. I had to do the 4-penny trick route....maybe there's a similar method for this cracked tubing thing?

I'm really worried about them ripping the back half of my car off and causing issues with my exhaust or something else when they try to put it all back together. If my exhaust started rattling I know they wouldn't fix it for free even though they caused it.

On a side note: Do all effected owners receive a notice in the mail? I haven't gotten one yet....just a coupon for having my oil changed at the dealer.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Road Warrior

i have had dealerships say that they have replace parts which they really did not replace so that they can make more money on warranty work.

your really taking your chances anytime you have someone else working on your car....especially know what i mean if you do your own work and you are meticulous
Old 03-23-2006, 09:08 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by DAYTONA-ZED
Reminds me of a incident on a mustang board a few years back . Chick took her stang cobra into the dealership shop and the techs decided to do some joy riding. Turns out one of them bragged about it on another board with enough info to get him nailed.

For incompetence and lousy service, my nissan service dept has actually beat the mediocre at best service i got thorugh the local pontiac dealership when i drove a 95 firebird.
yep, i remember that incident (used to have a mustang). I like how the guy was stupid enough to post the plate for the car he ragged on, haha ^_^
Old 03-23-2006, 09:52 AM
marhot

Originally Posted by maximXL
I'm going to hold off on this for a while.

I'm really worried about them ripping the back half of my car off and causing issues with my exhaust or something else when they try to put it all back together. If my exhaust started rattling I know they wouldn't fix it for free even though they caused it.
Ditto. This is a major job, there is no way I'd allow my dealership to remove the entire rear suspension and exhaust system.

There is no way it will be reinstalled to as tight is it was from the factory.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Called up the local dealership, Sterlin Mcall Nissan of Houston. Spoke to the service manager Randy. Questioned him about the hose recall and TSB's for the gas refuel door latch, rear axle ticking, and the hatch back not opening on the 1st try. He gave me some mumbo jumbo, "this is the first time I've ever heard about what your talking about. He looked up my VIN and told me that only the fuel hose had a recall. Then is proceeds to tell me that my car is out of warranty, so any problems I have other than the fuel hose will not be warrantied. I told him that the TSB's were a known problem with 2003 models and it was all over the internet. He tells me, "Well we're Nissan and I haven't heard of any of those TSB's."
His tone changed when I told him I was a member a very big on-line 350z community that shares information about shotty dealerships. He then started acting gracious and offer his assistance if I had any problems. I never took the vehicle in to have the axle ticking fixed, so that's my bad. I'd be inclined to replace it myself, but don't want to pay for the part. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with it.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:13 PM
03performz

Originally Posted by marhot
Ditto. This is a major job, there is no way I'd allow my dealership to remove the entire rear suspension and exhaust system.

There is no way it will be reinstalled to as tight is it was from the factory.
^^^WTF...all you have to do is be bright enough to read a torque wrench. It has nothing to do w/ being possible. It has everything to do with the quality of the mechanic (integrity) that is doing the job. It's ashame that not many people take pride in their work anymore..it seems as though many are just looking for the big payout.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Azn_Empurio

called a local dealership about the recall, guy said that theyre still in the process of getting parts? is this true or complete bs?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:25 PM
ericsartoris

Originally Posted by Nano
it appears INFINITI FX35/FX45 is affected by this hose issue too.

almost 200 000 vehicles...

http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...ase/index.html
Damn. Of course, I have BOTH cars. A 2004 350Z Roadster and a 2005 FX35.

Somanabeach.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsartoris
Damn. Of course, I have BOTH cars. A 2004 350Z Roadster and a 2005 FX35.

Somanabeach.
If some of them are on the beach, it's going to be hard to get them up on jacks to do this work.....
Old 03-23-2006, 12:58 PM
boma

Originally Posted by vo7848
Called up the local dealership, Sterlin Mcall Nissan of Houston. Spoke to the service manager Randy. Questioned him about the hose recall and TSB's for the gas refuel door latch, rear axle ticking, and the hatch back not opening on the 1st try. He gave me some mumbo jumbo, "this is the first time I've ever heard about what your talking about. He looked up my VIN and told me that only the fuel hose had a recall. Then is proceeds to tell me that my car is out of warranty, so any problems I have other than the fuel hose will not be warrantied. I told him that the TSB's were a known problem with 2003 models and it was all over the internet. He tells me, "Well we're Nissan and I haven't heard of any of those TSB's."
His tone changed when I told him I was a member a very big on-line 350z community that shares information about shotty dealerships. He then started acting gracious and offer his assistance if I had any problems. I never took the vehicle in to have the axle ticking fixed, so that's my bad. I'd be inclined to replace it myself, but don't want to pay for the part. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with it.

Good tip. I'm going to remember that line about being a member of my350z.com. I see service managers come and go so often. It's like they only remain in their position for 6 months and they're gone. Maybe that's why they don't know and they don't care.

I just complained about tom peacock nissan through NNA and a service guy from Tom Peacock called. He said I can go in tomorrow for the fuel hose fix and they have the parts. Wow magic. The manager that turned me away on Monday said to call back in two weeks for parts.

If any nissan dealer treats you bad, you should complain to NNA right away. If that doesn't work try the BBB.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:09 PM
04350ZNismo

Talking Fuel Hose Recall

I recently had the recall work done at my local Nissan dealership. They were quick to get it in and I had it back by lunch. They said my hoses had minor cracks, but they weren't too bad. I only have 6,500 miles and it is garage kept. They told me they did one other 350Z already and it had some bad cracks in the hose. The recall is free. It is a safety issue. Don't do it and when your 350Z catches fire don't blame anyone but yourself.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by boma
Good tip. I'm going to remember that line about being a member of my350z.com. I see service managers come and go so often. It's like they only remain in their position for 6 months and they're gone. Maybe that's why they don't know and they don't care.

I just complained about tom peacock nissan through NNA and a service guy from Tom Peacock called. He said I can go in tomorrow for the fuel hose fix and they have the parts. Wow magic. The manager that turned me away on Monday said to call back in two weeks for parts.

If any nissan dealer treats you bad, you should complain to NNA right away. If that doesn't work try the BBB.
I read your thread in the Regional section. Good deal. Keep the pressure on em'.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM
gixracer

fuel to the fire

MY Z IS BACK IN THE DEALER AFTER THE RECALL WORK WAS DONE

i have a leak that is hiting my exhaust at the y joint to the single exit. i found it because my car was smelling in my garage and when i went to the dealership to get the trunk springs i saw a puff of smoke come out from under the car. no its not gas but it may be oil or trans fluid. i have a 6mt.
my guess is when they pulled the drive shaft out they killed some seal and it's leaking now. i have not had my oil changed and it never smelled or leaked before.

now i am pissed off
Old 03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
gixracer

for another unrelated, but nissan recall-. they have to take out the entire rear suspension on all the maximas and altimas to replace the aluminum crosmember that its corroding due to water sitting on it. 2002-2006 model years
Old 03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ please tell me you're joking???
Old 03-23-2006, 05:03 PM
240Zplus110

Unless your dealer has got real news, this is actually a "fuel tank filler tube" recall... not fuel tank and not fuel lines. It is made out of plastic and some have cracked... mainly due to stresses associated temperature extremes. Most problems were found in North Eastern climates but Nissan is playing it safe and recalling all -- since some eastern cars find their way out west.

Also affected are G35's and FX35/45's.

It involves dropping the whole rear suspension and lowering the fuel tank to access the filler tube connection on the tank. They say it is a 3-4 hour job but most people have been without their car for a full day.

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 03-23-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:16 PM
ecstaz

Totally joking

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's