Old 03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
FairladyZX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only applies to mostly 03'
Old 03-23-2006, 10:03 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
yep, i remember that incident (used to have a mustang). I like how the guy was stupid enough to post the plate for the car he ragged on, haha ^_^
Yes, couldn't remember what info he posted , but that was the exact incident.

My vin is not in the recall range so no notice. Hope no one out there makes the evening news with their Z going up in a ball of flame
Old 03-23-2006, 11:33 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gixracer
fuel to the fire

MY Z IS BACK IN THE DEALER AFTER THE RECALL WORK WAS DONE

i have a leak that is hiting my exhaust at the y joint to the single exit. i found it because my car was smelling in my garage and when i went to the dealership to get the trunk springs i saw a puff of smoke come out from under the car. no its not gas but it may be oil or trans fluid. i have a 6mt.
my guess is when they pulled the drive shaft out they killed some seal and it's leaking now. i have not had my oil changed and it never smelled or leaked before.

now i am pissed off
omfg that makes me scared....
Old 03-24-2006, 12:09 AM
onebadfyvo

Originally Posted by FairladyZX
only applies to mostly 03'
Got an '04 and they noyified me Tuesday. I'll be bringing it Friday morning. Could've brought it in sooner but they told me to bring it in with less than a 1/4 tank of gas. So....up and down the freeway at mach speed I went
Old 03-24-2006, 12:14 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by jinsei888
omfg that makes me scared....
be afraid, be very afraid of the stealership

fuel to the fire

i have a leak that is hiting my exhaust at the y joint to the single exit. i found it because my car was smelling in my garage and when i went to the dealership to get the trunk springs i saw a puff of smoke come out from under the car. no its not gas but it may be oil or trans fluid. i have a 6mt.
my guess is when they pulled the drive shaft out they killed some seal and it's leaking now. i have not had my oil changed and it never smelled or leaked before.

now i am pissed off

needless to say i had a small thing not put together correctly. check your car when you get it back. cause if your on this board to learn about your z you would want to get someone to recheck the dealers work- for your own saftey. yes i know its the dealers responsibility but a 2nd once over would be security

guess you didn't do a 2nd once over there ^_^
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 AM
gixracer

i did a once over but at that time there was no leak. i have only puyt on 150 miles since the recall was done. i did not think to check the trans drive shaft area , but i did go over the entire rear end. i still have not herd back for the dealer today.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:31 AM
SteveZ

Question BMW has their share too -

Originally Posted by tonystark
I am starting to wonder about the quality of nissan cars. I am sure that BMW owners don't have these problems.
Dream on - last gen M3's had oil consumption problems, core issues with the engine. Dealers tried to tell owners a quart per 500 miles was normal!

Electronics are horror show for recall, too. Build and fit have slipped - my bud's 4.6i X5 has poor trim fit, clear coat drip on the doors, this with a $75k rig. The high dollar BMW's are not immune, either. Only the base 3-series seems to have been pretty stable IMHO.

I had one recall in 12 years with my Nissan '94 Altima, for passenger side air bag issues.

I will admit that the crop of TSB's is a lot longer for the G and the Z, that's for sure. One reason is with so many cars on the same platform and VQ series engine, the recalls hit very V-6 model half the time when it's related to emissions or engine.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:10 AM
03performz

Well the dealership called, said my car was done..I'll be picking it up after work...I am going to inspect the S**T out of it 1st. I'll let you guys know how it went.

I dropped it off late Wed. and pickin' up today (Fri.)
Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Dream on - last gen M3's had oil consumption problems, core issues with the engine. Dealers tried to tell owners a quart per 500 miles was normal!

Electronics are horror show for recall, too. Build and fit have slipped - my bud's 4.6i X5 has poor trim fit, clear coat drip on the doors, this with a $75k rig. The high dollar BMW's are not immune, either. Only the base 3-series seems to have been pretty stable IMHO.

I had one recall in 12 years with my Nissan '94 Altima, for passenger side air bag issues.

I will admit that the crop of TSB's is a lot longer for the G and the Z, that's for sure. One reason is with so many cars on the same platform and VQ series engine, the recalls hit very V-6 model half the time when it's related to emissions or engine.
^^ the 01-03(?04?) SMG engines would constantly grenade, hehe, that was funny
Old 03-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 04350ZNismo
I recently had the recall work done at my local Nissan dealership. They were quick to get it in and I had it back by lunch. They said my hoses had minor cracks, but they weren't too bad. I only have 6,500 miles and it is garage kept. They told me they did one other 350Z already and it had some bad cracks in the hose. The recall is free. It is a safety issue. Don't do it and when your 350Z catches fire don't blame anyone but yourself.
its a deal if....you don't blame us when you find that something was f'd up on your z during the installation of the new hoses
Old 03-24-2006, 10:57 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by 03performz
Well the dealership called, said my car was done..I'll be picking it up after work...I am going to inspect the S**T out of it 1st. I'll let you guys know how it went.

I dropped it off late Wed. and pickin' up today (Fri.)
If it took them that long to perform the work I'd inspect every inch of it too. It should only take 3 to 4 hours max.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Todd-350Z

Originally Posted by boma
Good tip. I'm going to remember that line about being a member of my350z.com. I see service managers come and go so often. It's like they only remain in their position for 6 months and they're gone. Maybe that's why they don't know and they don't care.

I just complained about tom peacock nissan through NNA and a service guy from Tom Peacock called. He said I can go in tomorrow for the fuel hose fix and they have the parts. Wow magic. The manager that turned me away on Monday said to call back in two weeks for parts.

If any nissan dealer treats you bad, you should complain to NNA right away. If that doesn't work try the BBB.
This is comforting as they are the closest Nissan dealer to me.

Yet another reason I won't be getting this done unless or until there is a problem. Even then, I would trust myself far more than Peacock.

I would also not want to be handing over the keys if they knew I was the one who referred them to the NNA.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM
marhot

Originally Posted by 03performz
^^^WTF...all you have to do is be bright enough to read a torque wrench. It has nothing to do w/ being possible. It has everything to do with the quality of the mechanic (integrity) that is doing the job. It's ashame that not many people take pride in their work anymore..it seems as though many are just looking for the big payout.
Exactly. See gixracer's post:

That is what I am afraid of.

The operative words in your post is bright enough . That is why I have the work on any of my cars done by a private mechanic. He is the owner / operator of his own garage.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
03performz

Originally Posted by marhot
Exactly. See gixracer's post:

That is what I am afraid of.

The operative words in your post is bright enough . That is why I have the work on any of my cars done by a private mechanic. He is the owner / operator of his own garage.
Good call...a mechanic like that is hard to come by..that's why I am the only one to work on any of my cars.

It's just that w/ this recall, it seems like such a p.i.t.a and Nissan should own up to it. I also had a TSB issue with the shutter valve that was taken care of at the same time..= no $$$ out of my pocket since Nissan is doing the work.

Also, if you think about it a mechanic at a dealership has all of the tools and information specifically for these vehicles literally at his fingertips. If you work on the same vehicles constantly you have a better understanding of the issues/probs. associate w/ each vehicle. Where as, your private mechanic may only work on one Z...yours. So every time he does something on it, it is "new" to him and would possibly take longer and lead to more mistakes.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Ichigo

I just had the gas filler hose replacement work performed on my Z by Fred Beans Nissan of Limerick PA on Rte 422. I could'nt be happier with the service I received. The service area there is spotless. The friendly people in the service department are in my opinion, top notch. They also addressed several Technical Service Bulletins I had printed out and left on the front seat when I dropped off my car. I do believe they even washed my car for me to pick it up. If you are in Pennsylvania and you are concerned about having this work performed by a dealer, dont hesitate to travel to Fred Beans Nissan of Limerick. (I thought I would have to travel miles to find a worthy dealer with a good service department). I am really impressed with all of the people I have dealt with at Fred Beans. I am hoping their sales department is on par with Parts and Service, if so I might have myself a new Frontier sometime in the near future.

Last edited by Ichigo; 03-24-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:18 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scuba_steve
I just had the gas filler hose replacement work performed on my Z by Fred Beans Nissan of Limerick PA on Rte 422. I could'nt be happier with the service I received. The service area there is spotless. The friendly people in the service department are in my opinion, top notch. They also addressed several Technical Service Bulletins I had printed out and left on the front seat when I dropped off my car. I do believe they even washed my car for me to pick it up. If you are in Pennsylvania and you are concerned about having this work performed by a dealer, dont hesitate to travel to Fred Beans Nissan of Limerick. (I thought I would have to travel miles to find a worthy dealer with a good service department). I am really impressed with all of the people I have dealt with at Fred Beans. I am hoping their sales department is on par with Parts and Service, if so I might have myself a new Frontier sometime in the near future.
sounds like a good place, however I wouldn't ever let a dealer wash my car (via an automated car wash or by hand).
Old 03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
red350zguy
Banned

Holy Sh*t, I can not believe you guys are making such a big deal of this, it's just a f*cking car and this is a safety issue. Even if the dealership screws it up totally, then tell them they just bought your car for what you paid, and you will take that nice 2006 over there, if they do what they are supposed to do and do it right, then you have no worries. But if you don't do it and the car does catch on fire, you are putting your life and possibly other's life's at risk. You can replace the f*cking car, but you can't replace a person's life. Get over it already, it's just a car.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:14 PM
gixracer

Thumbs down

well ----- i don't get my car back till wednesday next week. i was told that the seal in the back of my trans was where the leak was coming from
this is direct result of improper repair and a lack of experience repairing drivelines.

i wonder if they are going to be replacing my tranny for me without telling me?
seems like a long time to get a seal installed
i will be doing a drop in inspection each day. if i find it up n the hoist without a tranny i will be conversing with a lawyer reguarding replacement vehicle.
i am sick of this ****

i will side on the fact that this tsb needs to be done and we should not have to worry about getting our cars back in one correct piece. its not worth letting your car burn down. it just sucks that incompetance is overflowing with their mechanics.

at the dealership that i am at the mechanics do not have specialties- my tech was working on a tundra the otherday and was completely stressed out.
i tried to talk to him about the idea of the seal and he said "i caint talk to you about your car right now. i am too busy and dont want to screw sombody elses car up" those were his exact words.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Todd-350Z

Quiet a few of the so called dealership "mechanics" are just dumb kids who couldn't cut it in school, had bad grades and settled for a trade.

I've discovered the same type in the parts department where I literally have to look up a part for them because they are unable to use the parts look up program or microfiche display even when I have the part number and description in hand.

Yeah - I want these guys tearing the rear end completely out of my flawless 12K mile 350Z and then attempting to reassembling the countless bolts and pieces they removed, spec the shaft and other components according to the markings they were supposed to record beforehand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's