Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
tmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miraclekidjr
Got it back and nothing seems to be wrong. Exhaust note is cleaner for some reason though
Did they remember to do step #1 and #35
Old 03-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Fear Night

It also worries me that such a complicated job is required for a recall. I have a feeling they will do a rushed, half *** job because of this.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
MinersZ

Originally Posted by Fear Night
It also worries me that such a complicated job is required for a recall. I have a feeling they will do a rushed, half *** job because of this.
Where did you take it? I got my car back from Crown Nissan yesterday.I took it in for the transmission and clutch to be replaced.They took it upon themselves to fix this filler hose.Everything seems to be O.K..I dropped it off Wednesday at about 3PM.They were done with it 24 hours later.They even gave me a loaner.(not without me showing my ***)
Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Fear Night

Originally Posted by MinersZ
Where did you take it? I got my car back from Crown Nissan yesterday.I took it in for the transmission and clutch to be replaced.They took it upon themselves to fix this filler hose.Everything seems to be O.K..I dropped it off Wednesday at about 3PM.They were done with it 24 hours later.They even gave me a loaner.(not without me showing my ***)
Crown Nissan in Hoover. I haven't had any problems with them in the past and it's good to know yours is ok.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 PM
gixracer

Originally Posted by Miraclekidjr
Got it back and nothing seems to be wrong. Exhaust note is cleaner for some reason though
i would have to agree with that also
i thought i heard more noise in the back. i had been driving in the rain when i picked mine up ans it seemed very loud with the wheel well area spray
as far as the alignment it tracked straight. i will be having it aligned next week after i put tmy tein springs and hotchkis sways in. if the rear is out of wack i will find out
yes steps #1 and #35 were done
Old 03-11-2006, 08:17 AM
XtaZee

Originally Posted by gixracer
i would have to agree with that also
i thought i heard more noise in the back. i had been driving in the rain when i picked mine up ans it seemed very loud with the wheel well area spray
as far as the alignment it tracked straight. i will be having it aligned next week after i put tmy tein springs and hotchkis sways in. if the rear is out of wack i will find out
yes steps #1 and #35 were done
With the tire feathering issues this car has, I would leary to have them drop the suspension from the vehicle without an alignment being done afterwards. A couple mm off from spec could make a drastic difference when it come to tire feathering.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Fear Night

Just got mine back this morning. Nothing wrong so far
Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Road Warrior

i heard this tsb is supposed to give 5 hp to the rear wheels...if they put them back on right
Old 03-12-2006, 11:18 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i heard this tsb is supposed to give 5 hp to the rear wheels...if they put them back on right
Old 03-13-2006, 04:39 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
for anybody who didn't know/was interested, there have been *0* reported incidents and this is only based off of *1* computer simulation.

it's pretty stupid, imho, to have an incompetent dealer basically tear apart 1/4 of your car to fix something that may, or may not, be a problem 20yrs from now, given the amount and type of work needed to be done
Talked to my dealer Saturday and despite no one bringing in their car complaining about smelling fuel, ALL cars had hoses cracked to some degree. I would not take the chance...

It is a safety issue. The material the hose is made of is deficient.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:59 AM
nicolaycastro

I was also wondering, this small cracks could reduce gas mileage, or even pressure and as some one was joking, it could probably reduce power somewhat.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
for anybody who didn't know/was interested, there have been *0* reported incidents and this is only based off of *1* computer simulation.

it's pretty stupid, imho, to have an incompetent dealer basically tear apart 1/4 of your car to fix something that may, or may not, be a problem 20yrs from now, given the amount and type of work needed to be done
while i agree with you about the inconvenience, i have to give nissan a little credit here if what you say is true. i mean, to catch this before there IS an incident is very smart on nissan's behalf. just 1 incident could bring nissan down just when they have virtually become an automotive industry leader.

i will probably get mine done, but i am going to wait a while till they have experience doing the work. there really is no way to avoid it, its unfortunate but none the less prudent by nissan for taking everyone's safety into consideration.

i don't like even thinking about what could happen....this would be a terrible way to go if you caught fire.

for those who are having this done thanks for the feedback....keep it coming
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Tortuga

I had the recall service done this morning. Took about 3 hours, I was having some other stuff looked at as well (squeeky clutch pedal and broken power seat switch). Only thing I thought weird is that I took it in with 1/2 a tank of gas. Service tech never mentioned that I had too much fuel in tank. I still have about 1/2 tank after service. I didn't realize this till I got home though. I have the service slip/receipt and it says fuel filler service recall performed.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
gixracer

Thumbs down

ok everyone thrives on others wrong doings or some thing going wrong - well at least that is what the news casts seem to be lately.

well i heard a NEW rattle last night on the way home

i had been under my car after the recall was finished and saw nothing obvious. well today was the day to put the tein springs and hotchkis sways in.
i think i found the rattle . when they put my right side plastic air piece on they completely forgot about tightening it. the left was just fine and snug. this is the plastic airflow tray in front of the rear suspension.

so what more do you think theforgot to tighten. i looked and shook most everything else but i dont want to take it to the dealer to say you f'ed up recheck everything because they will say you were just under there doing sways and springs.

needless to say i had a small thing not put together correctly. check your car when you get it back. cause if your on this board to learn about your z you would want to get someone to recheck the dealers work- for your own saftey. yes i know its the dealers responsibility but a 2nd once over would be security
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by Tortuga
I had the recall service done this morning. Took about 3 hours, I was having some other stuff looked at as well (squeeky clutch pedal and broken power seat switch). Only thing I thought weird is that I took it in with 1/2 a tank of gas. Service tech never mentioned that I had too much fuel in tank. I still have about 1/2 tank after service. I didn't realize this till I got home though. I have the service slip/receipt and it says fuel filler service recall performed.
I have about 5 fake work orders from my dealership.......they'd do the work, bill it to infiniti, write up the stuff, but when I have my friend look at the job, it was obvious nothing had been done......so don't trust it just because they give you a slip ^_^
Old 03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
red350zguy
Banned

I agreed with 99, I spoke to my dealership today the same service advisor I have been using for years, we now really good friends. I know he won't BS me and I trust him 110%. He told me they have only done 3 of the recalls (2 of them 2004's and one 2003) so far, and he told the hoses were not cracking, although on the 2003 it looked it was going to start cracking, you could see very thin lines on the hose. I was telling about the guys posting that said there dealership did the job in about 3 hours, he told me no way can it be done that fast, someone is bull****ting someone. To perform this correctly and to double check all your work takes 7 hours, that is from the time you drop off the car to the time it can be picked up. He said if a dealership is doing this in about 3 hours, then either one they really didn't do the work, like 99 said or two they are cutting corners somewere. He said either he would not trust them. I have my appointment for this Monday and I trust they will do this job correctly and my car will be fine. Just as a side note, he told me when they first found out about the recall the entire service dept had a meeting along with the dealerships general managers to decide on how to handle the recall, they assigned thier best master tech to do this recall. Also they did not want to attempt the first on a customer's car, so they pulled in a 2003 Z off thier lot that needed the recall as the first one, before doing the recall on a customer's car. Which personally I think was a very smart thing to do, that impressed me. I will post on the board Monday night and let everyone know how my car is.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Tortuga

7 hours!! The recall notice link on the 1st post of this thread says it is a 2.3 hours job (Dealership took about 3.5-4 hrs to complete). Which one is correct?? 2.3 or 7 hours...seems like a large discrepancy. I think the work was performed. Looking up under the rear I can see where hand marks were on the suspension and exhaust area. Looks typical to me.

I guess we'll see. If my car burns up I'll have to sue Nissan for the dealer fraud.

Last edited by Tortuga; 03-15-2006 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
red350zguy
Banned

I do not think the time they alot on recalls or TSBs is 100% accurate, the time suggested is in the perfect scenario, and were the tech has done it a bunch of times already. I don't see how this recall could be performed in that amount of time when the techs have not even done that many times and have to follow the directions and take thier time to do it right. Just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
red350zguy
Banned

Oh yeah and Tortuga, if you car burns up, think about it, you will have a really nice ride after the lawsuit is over
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red350zguy
I agreed with 99, I spoke to my dealership today the same service advisor I have been using for years, we now really good friends. I know he won't BS me and I trust him 110%. He told me they have only done 3 of the recalls (2 of them 2004's and one 2003) so far, and he told the hoses were not cracking, although on the 2003 it looked it was going to start cracking, you could see very thin lines on the hose. I was telling about the guys posting that said there dealership did the job in about 3 hours, he told me no way can it be done that fast, someone is bull****ting someone. To perform this correctly and to double check all your work takes 7 hours, that is from the time you drop off the car to the time it can be picked up. He said if a dealership is doing this in about 3 hours, then either one they really didn't do the work, like 99 said or two they are cutting corners somewere. He said either he would not trust them. I have my appointment for this Monday and I trust they will do this job correctly and my car will be fine. Just as a side note, he told me when they first found out about the recall the entire service dept had a meeting along with the dealerships general managers to decide on how to handle the recall, they assigned thier best master tech to do this recall. Also they did not want to attempt the first on a customer's car, so they pulled in a 2003 Z off thier lot that needed the recall as the first one, before doing the recall on a customer's car. Which personally I think was a very smart thing to do, that impressed me. I will post on the board Monday night and let everyone know how my car is.
i really wish we had a dealership that professional, efficient and responsible in my area of northern california...dangit...

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's