Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Gone in 60 sec...

Old 02-17-2003, 02:29 PM
LeMansZCa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gone in 60 sec...

Just saw a special on Discovery channel, where they filmed and timed a guy, picked a 911, thru the door key hole, picked the ignition and drove off.... all in 60sec... using two picks...

i did notice one of the pick was a simple 90 degree bend to hold it open while the other pick did all the work...

they can't do THAT to our Z's... right? they might be able to get in... but picking the ignition should disable the starter...?!?!

it was fun to watch the Targa... Gone in 60 sec...
Old 02-17-2003, 03:22 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

The 90 degree piece you are talking about is what you tension the lock with. The other "pick" is used to throw the tumblers. Put the bent piece in, hold a little bit of tension on the lock, then get the tumblers.

I used to be able to do basic locks, but I'm way out of practice.

Probably actually easier on most cars to go through with a rod between the door and the window. I used to unlock cars for a dealership when I was in high school, and had a pretty good kit with lots of different rods and a book with diagrams of where to go on different model cars to throw the lock. Wasn't that hard once you get the hang of it. Note that "slim jim" types of tools are crap for most cars.

Tips were great, btw Gratitude is high when you are mad at yourself for locking your keys up.

As for driving off on our cars, the ignition has an electronic disabling system that works with a chip embedded in the key. That should keep some away from starting the car. Pros though will get your car if they want it bad enough.

EDIT: GG spelling and grammer

Last edited by MannishBoy; 02-17-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:40 PM
LeMansZCa

yup, amazing what two lil picks can do...not even scratch up the locks...!

I've also experienced locking my keys in and watch the tow guy open the book, found my car, mark the spot on the door... Vooala! door opens!!

this can still be done to the z.... i guess....??? Yeah, i undeerstand if someone wanted "your" car... it's gone...
Old 02-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pros will not be able to start our Z either. With the advent of electronic keys and alarms that disable the starter, the days of hot wiring a car are OVER. Pros must now TOW your car away if they want it (or car jack it).

Last edited by Intrepid; 02-17-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:03 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pros wouldnt hot wire your car anyway. they could get it started, but theyd need some advanced notice. if it can be created it can be destroyed. nothing is foolproof. but one thing I can say for sure, you cant walk a professional car theif up to a Z, hand him 2 picks and say take the car in less than an hour. he could not do that. but a few days of planning and research and I bet he could do it.

with that said, pros dont want a 350Z. no market for parts, and a pro would never sell a full car, atleast not in this country. and its difficult to get it out of the country. its much easier and lucritive to steal older cars, that are easily broken into and stolen, and also have a strong market for parts since they are beginning to break down more often. not to mention I personally think the owner of a 1992 corrola wouldnt want their car back as badly as a 350Z. which will factor into how much you hassle the cops, and how hard they look.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:11 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

They only built 3000 of my Syclone, and my first one got stolen with only 1800 miles on it and a good kill switch.

Don't say never. You'll jinx yourself

As to our cars are unstealable without a tow truck...yeah, right

GMs had similar setups for years, and while it is hard to get around, I don't think it is impossible.

If this is possible for a temporary solution, don't you think somebody can permanently do it? Sure they can.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:29 AM
alphared

Originally posted by MannishBoy
They only built 3000 of my Syclone, and my first one got stolen with only 1800 miles on it and a good kill switch.

Don't say never. You'll jinx yourself

As to our cars are unstealable without a tow truck...yeah, right

GMs had similar setups for years, and while it is hard to get around, I don't think it is impossible.

If this is possible for a temporary solution, don't you think somebody can permanently do it? Sure they can.
GM's version used resistors in the keys. So the car will not start if the key's resistor isn't correct. So all ppl had to do was carry bunch of resistors and jam it into the starter to find the right one to start the car.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Intrepid

The Z has a chip in the key similar to the Easy Pass Toll System. It is read directly by the ECU in the Z. It is nearly impossible to start our Z without the key. A Pro would know this and would tow the car away before wasting time trying to get it started. And you're right, CURRENTLY there is no market for parts. But that WILL change eventually.

Regarding this bypass kit for aftermarket alarms (http://www.bypasskit.com/pkn.asp?cid=14) - this requires the key to be scanned first. Something a thief would not be able to do without your key. And if he had your key, he wouldn't nee the bypass...

NOTE: The bypass kit states "This revolutionary new type of bypass kit DOES NOT REQUIRE A KEY in the installation kit." All this means if that your spare key does not have to be buried in your car along with the alarm.

Last edited by Intrepid; 02-18-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:40 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stealing a protected car.

To clear some misonceptions up.

The GM system (passkey) was a calibrated resistor, but you could not just "try a bunch". The computer would go in to a wait cycle (like 15 minutes or more) each time you tried a bad value. So, unless you got lucky on the first try or two, it would really slow you down. Trying resistor values is NOT how they stole these cars (unless they had access to your key, then they could just measure it and come prepaired).

As for the Z, I am sure a pro could steal it by disabling the starter kill. Since the imobilizer is in exactly the same place on every Z they would know where it was and how to bypass it. That may mean jumpering around a solenoid, or it could mean feeding a false signal to the ECU to simulate the presence of a valid key. The point is that they could easily come up with a system that worked on all Zs.

The good news is that most car thieves are losers looking for quick cash, not high end thiefs. I think the average "joy rider" or "needs money for crack" thieves would find the Z quite a challenge.

In the end all you can do is make it harder. How hard you need to make it depends a lot on how much risk is in your area. If I lived in NYC I would invest in an aftermarket alarm for sure. Since I live in the suburbs I probably won't bother. Besides, I got a clean shot at the car from my bedroom window so once the alarm goes off they better start running. Only the first shot is a deliberate miss.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Intrepid

Default Re: Stealing a protected car.

Originally posted by AndyB
That may mean jumpering around a solenoid, or it could mean feeding a false signal to the ECU to simulate the presence of a valid key. The point is that they could easily come up with a system that worked on all Zs.
I respectfully disagree. The Key communicates directly with the ECM. Without the ECM's permission, the Z can not start. I find it highly unlikely that this can be circumvented by any thief in the field.
Attached Thumbnails Gone in 60 sec...-key.jpg  

Last edited by Intrepid; 02-18-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:35 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

If you'll notice the link on my post, there is a diabler system that will allow for remote starting for a Nissan system that does not require an extra key to be included in the starter. I'm not sure that this is the same system the Z uses, but my point was that if it was similar, and this thing did its job, it would only be a matter of time before some similar strategy could be devised to get around our system for theft was well.

The page I linked only mentions vehicle circa 1999 and 2000, so Nissan may have changed its system. However, it does appear to be an RF ID key type system, which is what I understood we had.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and that is highly possible)
Old 02-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Intrepid

[i]Correct me if I'm wrong (and that is highly possible)[/B]
See my post above. This system still requires the key to be scanned.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:33 AM
jreiter

Default Re: Gone in 60 sec...

Originally posted by LeMansZCa
Just saw a special on Discovery channel, where they filmed and timed a guy, picked a 911, thru the door key hole, picked the ignition and drove off.... all in 60sec... using two picks...

I believe I saw the same show you did. It was about repo companies and how they get cars and trucks back. For what it's worth, that Porsche was an older 80's model without all the fancy disabling systems many cars use today. Picking those locks only involves a basic tumbler system: no laser-cut keys, etc. I'd bet money he couldn't be that quick on a current model Porsche.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:50 AM
Scratchy

at least one was solten and recovered...

http://www.boomerangtracking.com/en/...lash_5_1_e.pdf
Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Roberto Lo Papa

Default I can attest that they can’t Hotwire it.

Originally Posted by LeMansZCa

i did notice one of the pick was a simple 90 degree bend to hold it open while the other pick did all the work...

they can't do THAT to our Z's... right? they might be able to get in... but picking the ignition should disable the starter...?!?!

it was fun to watch the Targa... Gone in 60 sec...
Punks tried to Hotwire my 04 350z with 74k miles never accidented. Tore it all apart, driller through my door - all for nothing. And now all the parts they broke are discontinued. FFFF$&;(!!!!

Old 06-13-2019, 03:42 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Roberto Lo Papa
Punks tried to Hotwire my 04 350z with 74k miles never accidented. Tore it all apart, driller through my door - all for nothing. And now all the parts they broke are discontinued. FFFF$&;(!!!!

congrats on the 16 year dead thread bump
The following users liked this post:
813_350Z (06-16-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 AM
g356sp

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Finally a conclusion, Nic Cage cannot jack our cars.
813_350Z (06-16-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 05:38 AM
masterjr33

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

holy shiat.. first post is a 16 year old necro thread..
813_350Z (06-16-2019)