Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 08:12 PM
happypants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have recommendations for a camcorder mount to fix a camcorder in a car? I want to record how the Z acts both from inside the car and from someone riding alongside the Z.

I'm sure this will help in illustrating the problem and possibly give Nissan the kick in the *** it needs to do something about this.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:42 AM
offlogic

Default Conversation with Tein R&D

The more I investigate possible fixes for what I call Z "choppy ride" characteristics, the more I am convinced that there is no one cure-all fix. To begin with, depending on who you speak to, semantics and definition of terms seem to confuse the issue. In talking to a Tein representative the other day and then to an R&D staff member, we couldn't seem to settle on exactly which one of their packages would "cure" my problem. A package now in development for the Z called the "Comfort" solution was recommended by the first rep I spoke with. Then I spoke with an actual R&D person and after asking me to define my problem said that the currently available Tein "Flex" package sounded like it would correct my ride problem and that the "Comfort" solution would produce a "harsh" ride quality which I interpreted to mean loud road feed-back. Regardless the "Comfort" package will not be available for a while. In an earlier post one member describes his Nismo fix and then ends the message to suggest that people who object to the choppy ride probably will not find the Nismo package a satisfactory solution. I guess there is nothing like being able to test drive all of the fixes to determine which one does the trick. So far it seems that you pays your money and takes your choice. Anybody have any surefire suggestions?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:53 AM
offlogic

Default Nismo versus Tein versus ?

There is a posting earlier from an owner who did the Nismo fix and while he seems pleased with it suggests at the end that he did not think that people displeased with the choppy ride are going to find the Nismo the answer to their problem. This is disappointing information.
I spoke to a Tein rep and an R&D engineer the other day. One suggests the Tein Flex system as the answer and another suggests, the still in the works Tein "Comfort" solution. The R&D gent says the "Comfort" solution will still have a "harsh" ride, which I interpret to mean loud road feedback. He is suggesting the Flex system to solve some of my concerns. What is funny (or not) about this is that they own a Z and I guess use it for R&D. Even they don't really seem to have a real definition for what most of the thread members call "choppy ride". The iffiness of all of these expensive solutions is frustrating. If members are going to go the Nismo route, I for one am willing to wait and get a group feedback before putting up anymore bucks. Same goes for Tein.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:41 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Alright, I'm glad I found this post. I didn't think it was normal and I was going to bring it to my tech but I'm sure he would have just said it's normal. I'm certainly calling Nissan to report this.

I'm just glad that this car is just AWESOME even though it seem to have many problems, because I would probably be getting rid of it.

Last edited by BlueDragonZ; 06-16-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:49 PM
RPT

Default To everyone

I started this post and read all your reactions. I have send Offlogic the European Q&A document, concerning changes on the Z for the EU market.

The (official) car dealers in the Netherlands ar (mostly) very straight, because of the very high price of Houses, Cars and other luxury goods in the Netherlands and because of the fact the our law don't permit "no cure no pay lawyers" 70% of the "working" class people have a legal assistance insurance. If an Manufacturer or an Importer can't or will deliver what they promise we persue them. That's bad publicity. Our consumer laws ar very strict, mostly in favor of the consumers.

The contact i have with this Nissan sales manager is different then expected between a seller and a buyer, underneath again the official (technical) changes of the EU Z, every ,.!? is equal at the Q&A list.

The opinion of this sales manager "it's BULL"as if Nissan completely changes the NEW Z because of our HIGH SPEED DRIVING CONDITIONS, his opinion is the same as mine, the changes ar the result(s) of the complaints from American, Japanese Z owners and there own test results after almos one year. When they modify a car for the EU they changes the complete car not only the suspension.

Don't read the lines but interpreted them, read that between ---" and "--- and try to understand what they actual mean with this.

- Technical/dynamic improvements : !!!!!!"Aerodynamics improved (undertray + spoiler + front lip) for high speed stability, cooling improved (rear differential with fins air duct + larger radiator), suspension re-tuned in order to fulfill European high speed driving conditions"!!!!!!, Improved NVH for high speed driving (C pillar + wheel arch), harsher acceleration response to improve G-feeling at full throttle in 5th and 6th speed (Motorway 120-200km/H acceleration feeling), force applied on front wipers has been increased

You Z owners ar complaining individual and not as a GROUP.

EXAMPLE: in 2001 45 owners of DEAWOO ......., a cheap car, had the same complaints on there cars, individual complaining was no success, as a group of 45 they complained on TV and announced that if Deawoo this time "again" reject the complaints of the complainants they WILL persue DEAWOO as a GROUP, with help of a consumer organisation all problems were solved within three months. What is Deawoo comparing to Nissan and Renault.

GOOD LUCK AND COMPLAIN AS A GROUP
Old 06-16-2003, 05:46 PM
EDIEZZ

Default Ride Problems

I really wonder if the 17" wheels are different.

I have 18" wheels on a Touring model and the ride is stiff but no worse than I expected.
I have driven mountain roads and freeways-Have 4000 miles and don't feel there is any problem.

This is my 3rd Z (240 & 280).

Has anyone driven other sports cars with similar or better handling characteristics (vettes, porches, italian$$$$ cars) and feel the 350 Z has any worse of a ride????
Old 06-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Ride Problems

Originally posted by EDIEZZ
I really wonder if the 17" wheels are different.

I have 18" wheels on a Touring model and the ride is stiff but no worse than I expected.
I have driven mountain roads and freeways-Have 4000 miles and don't feel there is any problem.

This is my 3rd Z (240 & 280).

Has anyone driven other sports cars with similar or better handling characteristics (vettes, porches, italian$$$$ cars) and feel the 350 Z has any worse of a ride????
I have a Tourng w/5AT and 17" tires. Along with the oe tires, it is the worst over the road ride I have ever experienced. The 18s seem to have fared better. At 1600 miles I got rid of the OE tires, found the tires were beginning to feather and had a 4 wheel alignment so I have no feathering now at all. Dumb luck. My 1965 TR4 with lever shocks on the rear rode better. my 91 MR2T rode like a limo by comparaison and my 240Z with KYB shocks rode better and they were very stiff, its not the stffness, its a mismatch of shock and spring, IMO. I have a better ride than before, 75% of the bounce is gone, but I will buy better shocks when they are available.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:49 AM
anxious

This isn’t anything new, but I thought I would add my comments for anybody keeping score on this issue…

I've had my Touring w/ 18" wheels for almost 1 month now. Overall, I love the car, but the ride has been far worse than anticipated. It's stiff, but bearable (almost acceptable) on surface streets and highways that are paved with asphalt, but can be absolutely awful on concrete freeways. I expect and can take the harshness and some jarring, but the bounce on the freeways is ridiculous. I sometimes feel like I’m in a Civic with a couple of coils hacked off the springs!

My only comparisons for the ride are a couple of RX-7's, Miatas, a 3000GT, an M3, and my old Celica, all of which I have experienced in both stock and modified form. None of them made me feel as beaten up and tired after an hour on the freeway as this car, even though all of the modified versions had stiff suspension setups.

I would be willing to accept the bounce trade-off if I felt it handled better than those other, albeit modified, cars. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s the case. I must admit that it does handle better than all of those other cars, except for the M3, in stock form.

If I have to pay another $1,500 to $2,000 to upgrade the suspension so that it still handles well without beating my up, then I will. It just doesn’t seem like I should need to do that for a $35k car that’s less than a month old that isn’t going to be entered into any races.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:50 AM
anxious

Default Ride Problems

This isn’t anything new, but I thought I would add my comments for anybody keeping score on this issue…

I've had my Touring w/ 18" wheels for almost 1 month now. Overall, I love the car, but the ride has been far worse than anticipated. It's stiff, but bearable (almost acceptable) on surface streets and highways that are paved with asphalt, but can be absolutely awful on concrete freeways. I expect and can take the harshness and some jarring, but the bounce on the freeways is ridiculous. I sometimes feel like I’m in a Civic with a couple of coils hacked off the springs!

My only comparisons for the ride are a couple of RX-7's, Miatas, a 3000GT, an M3, and my old Celica, all of which I have experienced in both stock and modified form. None of them made me feel as beaten up and tired after an hour on the freeway as this car, even though all of the modified versions had stiff suspension setups.

I would be willing to accept the bounce trade-off if I felt it handled better than those other, albeit modified, cars. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s the case. I must admit that it does handle better than all of those other cars, except for the M3, in stock form.

If I have to pay another $1,500 to $2,000 to upgrade the suspension so that it still handles well without beating my up, then I will. It just doesn’t seem like I should need to do that for a $35k car that’s less than a month old that isn’t going to be entered into any races.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:37 AM
BlueDragonZ

Default Re: Ride Problems

Originally posted by EDIEZZ

Has anyone driven other sports cars with similar or better handling characteristics (vettes, porches, italian$$$$ cars) and feel the 350 Z has any worse of a ride???? [/B]
My roomate and I swap cars sometimes, she has a 2001 C5. The bounciness certainly isn't there. It's just a smooth ride even on some bumpy roads. You can feel that you just went over a bump but not where your head is hitting the roof. Now, before this she had a 1994 Probe that had the same problem when she replaced the struts. I thought this was a normal thing at first because of the experience that we had with her other car, I guess I was wrong.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Zenvy

I created a file (with VIN #4023) with NNA two days ago and expect to receive a call today or tomorrow. Tire feathering occurred ~ 3500 mi ->9500 completely unbearable. Wheel alignment done and tires swapped. Within 700 miles...tire feathering again on the inside treads. Noise is even worse (didn't think it could but it did).

The bounce completely sucks and is very apparent on concrete paved streets vs. asphalt. The bounce is causing the tire feathering IMO.

Anyway, I'm sure this has been addressed but has anyone who put aftermarket shocks and springs on their car ever experience the tire feathering or cupping phenomenon?
Old 07-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Gruppe-S.Com

Default ...

Too be honest, my personal opinion is that the ride of the 350z isn't that bad. Before I get blasted, let me say that I have not spent much seat time in a 350Z. I mostly drive around in a G35c (6spd) and a WRX.

I have however definately noticed the porpoising problems with the G35c, usually at 90-100mph on banking turns, especially under acceleration. As many people have already mentioned, I agree that the problem is due to the shocks. I don't think the dampening/rebound characteristics of the shock are matched very well with the characteristics of the car. (If you remove the shocks you will see that the shocks are quite thin, not represenative of even other OEM sports car suspension, much less that of sports shocks or coilovers with their increased piston diameters and larger shocks bodies).

That being said, I still feel that the ride in the 350Z is quite moderate for a sports car. Besides the porpoising issues, I think the car does a great job of softening up pot holes without sacrificing too much performance. This can be compared to, say a Skyline GT-R V-spec, where with the OEM suspension every bump or crevice in the road feels like the chassis is being hammered by a large rubber mallet.

So although swapping to the Nismo shocks will likely resolve the porposing issue (so I am told), this will most likely not increase ride quality at all. Nor will any aftermarket springs or coilovers that are on the market (even with super soft spring rates) as these coilovers are essentially geared towards handling/performance rather than ride comfort. My best recommendation (short of getting Nissan to develop new shocks) would be to wait until some of the more reputable shock manufacturers (KYB, Tokico, Bilstein, etc.) develop an aftermarket replacement (for OE shocks) and try that out. That would probably the most cost-effective solution...

Just my 2 cents...

Gary

Last edited by Gruppe-S.Com; 07-02-2003 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
offlogic

Default Pro Active Group Response?

I find it interesting that no one has responded to RPT's suggestion about a group action against Nissan to address the suspension/ride quality issue. I know many have submitted complaints to NNA (with subsequent case numbers in place), as I have, only to be re-buffed by the comment, that NNA has no official tech bulletins regarding suspension issues. I am sure many are getting the same response from their dealerships as I have, after taking my car there on three occasions only to be told that the car is "riding per design intent". Whatever they say it is not an acceptable response. To add insult to injury it does not seem clear to me that there is "any" fix at this time, including new springs, shocks, coilovers, NISMO etc. etc. So while Nissan continues to stonewall this issue, we can all go on and complain ad infinitum.
I am not a rabble rouser but will be happy to be part of any substantive rationale group response that will say to Nissan; admit there is a concern and show us how it can be fixed. Until then we can all sit around and complain until some enterprising company decides to run with it and come up with an answer. That could be a long way off!
Old 07-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Zenvy

Default Re: Pro Active Group Response?

Count me in! How would one go about it? Let's start a thread and post our vin's and case numbers. Once we have a hundred or so listed, we can maybe do something about this annoying problem.

Originally posted by offlogic
I find it interesting that no one has responded to RPT's suggestion about a group action against Nissan to address the suspension/ride quality issue. I know many have submitted complaints to NNA (with subsequent case numbers in place), as I have, only to be re-buffed by the comment, that NNA has no official tech bulletins regarding suspension issues. I am sure many are getting the same response from their dealerships as I have, after taking my car there on three occasions only to be told that the car is "riding per design intent". Whatever they say it is not an acceptable response. To add insult to injury it does not seem clear to me that there is "any" fix at this time, including new springs, shocks, coilovers, NISMO etc. etc. So while Nissan continues to stonewall this issue, we can all go on and complain ad infinitum.
I am not a rabble rouser but will be happy to be part of any substantive rationale group response that will say to Nissan; admit there is a concern and show us how it can be fixed. Until then we can all sit around and complain until some enterprising company decides to run with it and come up with an answer. That could be a long way off!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:00 AM
phslug

I am also in the same situation as Zenvy. Serious feathering at 3500 miles. Dealer had no tire machine so sent my precious out to local Goodyear shop for alignment check and tire switching. Tire guy said he thought it was the tires. Too much individual tread block for the suspension setup. Leads to the heel/toe feathering. He recommended a few other brands (Goodyear among them) without the individual blocks (something to consider). My alignment was OK according to him. I have put 600 miles on since then, and the inside shoulders are already feathering on the tire switch.
Opened a file with NNA (Early VIN 1039) and got a call from Alana (sounded all of 18). She was vague about possible causes but said she had contacted my dealer and that any further problems would be handled by the dealer in direct contact with NNA tech center (whatever that means).
There is definitely a flaw somewhere in the front suspension that they are unwilling to fess up to. Keep letting then know how unhappy all of us with this problem are. Something may get resolved eventually. This is such an awesome car in every other way.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Pro Active Group Response?

Originally posted by offlogic
I have dealt with this issue for many months and Nissan has no response because they are using a new form of "ripple shocks" to improve the ride. They are saying this in their marketing of the Z. It is plain to me they have no intention of admitting they are a failure in the 2003 models. They may be modified in the 2004s, I think, but we will not be offerred a retro-fit of any kind, IMO. I had my turn at tilting at windmills, and it is abundantly clear Nissan doesn't care because Zs are still hot sellers. We owners of 2003s will be treated like pariahs, so I will turn to the aftermarket for relief, I believe I will get nothing from Nissan on this issue.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Pedal Pusher

Default Pro Active Group Response

Perhaps our attention should be directed towards the magazines. Examples being Road & Track, Car and Driver, etc. This might place preasure on NNA indirectly.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:17 PM
jmark

Read Droideka's review of the NISMO S-Tune Suspension kit. It has some answers in it. Just wish NNA would admit there is a problem. Probably go this route myself.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:40 PM
whosdady

Default Count me in

I would be happy to partisipate in a group compliant. I have already logged my problems in with NNA. My car is going into the dealer for the 6th time in 5 months. The car has 3400 miles on it now and I swear 400 of those miles are going back and forth from the dealership for repairs. I am bringing my car back for the 2nd time for the allignment/ loud braking/ feathering /the grease TSB and seat rattle and fraying seat. They have tried to fix most of these items 2-3 times already. I'm not happy!
Old 07-04-2003, 06:01 AM
offlogic

Originally posted by jmark
Read Droideka's review of the NISMO S-Tune Suspension kit. It has some answers in it. Just wish NNA would admit there is a problem. Probably go this route myself.
I could be off base here, but my impression of responses from people who have tried the S tune or the Tein Flex "fixes", indicate that owners who are complaining about choppy, bouncy ride characteristics will not be happy with these expensive systems. It seems as though all of these systems are designed for track and not as a cure for the everday street driver. The real answer still lies with Nissan.

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............