Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattling Sound when you turn off ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 PM
HDPDZO6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the same noise I'm thinking of, just about every MT I've ever driven (even the big rigs) makes that noise when the engine is shut off without the clutch pedal pushed down.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 AM
PM-Performance

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Yeap, clutch out in neutral and turn off the engine and it sounds like a bunch of rocks rolling around under the car. It's "normal", even brand new Zs on the lot do it.

Yep, mine did it from day one. i can hear it when I pull into the garage.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 AM
rhythmnsmoke

Originally Posted by bleufiend
No roast, your understanding of how the transmission works and how everything connects to conduct the powerflow is correct. However the throwout bearing develops wear, both on the input shaft to the transmission and to pressure plate which it controls.

End of discussion, the noise that you are hearing from your car when the clutch pedal is not depressed is primarily the throwout bearing. Why do you think when you depress the clutch the noise silences?

If you still dont believe me and have about 30minutes of time to spare, find a lift, put your car up in the air and drop your transmission and have a look.

Is there a fix for this. As I noticed this noise is amplified when you are running with a lightweight flywheel/aftermarket clutch setup.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by cruZin163
Does anybody else noticed a Rattling Sound when you turn off ignition... The dealer said that is normal... Anybody have a second opinion?
Mine use to do that until I replace the tranny fluid with Redline. It shuts down smooth now...
Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
retiredtk

output shaft.... normal noise, corvette's have it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 AM
71chevelleSS

It amazes me at the level of incompetence people have. Roast if your transmissions gear lash is that far off I dont want to know what you do to your car. Yes the gears do spin down and will equal out for some noise but not the rattling rocks noise we all know.

However EVERYONE is half right on this EXCEPT for Roast.

The dual mass flywheel wont make the sound on its own it heavy and weighted down. Wonder how that makes a rocky sound with the mass it has hmmmm. Well as we all know pretty much every throwout bearing known to man for these cars are literaly POS's. It is most definately in 95% of cases the throw out bearing in combination with the dual mass flywheel bopping it around at ignition cut off from the back compression of the engine. The play between the throwout bearing race and input shaft bearing is not perfect either which makes room for the rattle noise from the engine vibrations during shutoff.

The other 5% of cases are input shaft bearing on transmission gone bad depending on how severe the noise is.

Trust someone who knows. Ive personally rebuilt 17 of these transmissions mainly the 03 and 04 years to fix there shitty synchros and weld the 3rd main gear as it is 2 pieces vs 1 piece in the later years. Ive actually solved my transmissions throwout bearing issue once and for all.

I went to a internal slave cylinder design which fits the shaft snug and actually enhances the clutch feel by being a bigger bore in the slave. No noise for me and a clutch pedal that even with a stage 2 clutch feels oem.

Anyone want to know my setup pm. Cost were quite low. Under 150.00 for the stainless line and slave cylinder.

By the way I am master certfied under Porsche, VW, Audi, Bmw, Toyota, Nissan as well as Gm.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda2Nismo

First post on a 5 year old thread?

::sigh::
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
71chevelleSS

Yes. Noobs find these post and go replace the wrong parts in false hope it will fix there issue and it doesnt. I feel bad for them. Not alot of people have alot of cash. So maybe you could respect that.