Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 04:41 AM
jeffa55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Has anyone else developed an oil leak?? I searched the forum and found an old thread about an oil leak coming from the driver side valve cover, but was wondering if anyone else had this problem or any leakage after their first oil change?

I did my first change (myself) last weekend and noticed a 'slight' amount of oilly stuff on the rear of the belly pan (on the drivers side). To this point, there had been no oil dripping under the car (it has only leaked enough to stain the pan). However, after changing my oil and driving the car there were now 2 small drips on my garage floor (and another about to drip).

For people who have had the leak - is this where you noticed it?? (the rear driverside pan location?)

For people who changed the oil for the first time - did you have any dripping from oil that may have run across the engine when removing the filter?? I am wondering if this is all it is and not really a leak - only time will tell.

Thanks all!
Old 04-14-2003, 06:12 AM
stx

I noticed the oil on the pan first and on the air compressor. Then I looked at the steering pinion and it too had oil. The tag on the driver side valve cover had oil on it also. Hope that helps you.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:17 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

When I did my first oil change I also noticed a small amount of oil in the belly pan (rear driver side). Had the dealer check it out and they found a leak in the cam(valve) cover seal. When they went to replace the seal they also found a leak on the other side as well....same seal.

Get it looked at right away. Sounds like yours is getting worse.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 AM
jeffa55

Well, I didn't rush into the dealer yet and my car has sat for 2 days.. I drove it yesterday morning (only for about 8 miles though) and parked it back in my garage. It does not have a drip yet. I am basically going to wait and see if the drip comes back. I can feel oil on some parts just behind the pan, but I cannot tell if it was some spilt oil (from my change - although I was VERY carefull) or is actually a leak. I assume that the drip will come back if it is a leak!

BTW - Here is a question... for anyone who changes their own oil, do you know if when you remove the filter does oil run down anything and possibly across the bottom of the engine?? I know on some other cars I have had, oil would fall on some components and puddle there, or even run along components to other places.. .the car would always drip for a day or two and then stop... I am wondering if that might be what is happening here... it just seems odd that the 'leak' occurred right after my change. After reading the oil leak posts a while ago, I have been checking things out and found nothing.. until a couple of days after my change...
Old 04-16-2003, 07:28 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

If done properly the oil from the filter should not run down the side of the engine to the pan. If any does it should be cleaned up prior to installing the new filter. You should always clean up the surrounding area before considering the job complete.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:52 AM
jelledge

Default Oil Leak

Yup, a lot of the Z's have this valve cover leak on the driver's side. The easy way to see it is by looking at the bottom of the AC compressor. If you see oil there then you have the leak. Mine was so bad that oil was leaking on the front and back of the engine. The dealer tried to tell me it was from spilling oil during an oil change -- not. I made them put it on the lift and showed them the oil on the back of the engine. Needless to say they were humbled.

They had to replace a set of three gaskets. I guess removing the valve cover is quite the job (must remove upper intake manifold).

Also, as far as oil changes.....no oil will not run all over the place if you do it right.

Still waiting to see if the new gaskets have fixed the oil leak.

Ja
Old 04-16-2003, 10:51 AM
jeffa55

Jeff,

You mentioned that a lot of the Z's have this problem... do you know if there is a TSB coming out for it? Do you think that you might be able to ask your dealer more specifics about what the gasket set was? I would love to have this in my hands when I go in to see my dealer...

I am also wondering why the gaskets are going bad and why they think new ones won't go bad...
Old 04-16-2003, 11:05 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by jeffa55
Jeff,

You mentioned that a lot of the Z's have this problem... do you know if there is a TSB coming out for it? Do you think that you might be able to ask your dealer more specifics about what the gasket set was? I would love to have this in my hands when I go in to see my dealer...

I am also wondering why the gaskets are going bad and why they think new ones won't go bad...
There's no TSB yet or know of one coming. I don't think the gaskets are bad it's just the way they were installed... not positioned correctly. The first time the dealer attempted to fix mine they screwed up and pinched the new one. Had to redo the whole thing.

Gaskets: cam covers, plenum, throttle body and 1-2 others. I'd have to look at the service report again.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:37 PM
Clyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement gasket

I've had my gasket replaced about 3 wks ago but sill have the same type of leak as described here. I have notified the dealer but have not taken it back to be fixed. There is no leak visible on the garage floor just a small drop on the undercarrage. I was wondering if maybe oil maybe coming out of the dip stick. When I check my oil there is oil all up and down the stick.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:55 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the dipstick is fully inserted. Because the oil goes all the way up to the rubber. The design of the dipstick is weird. Maybe this could be the solution.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:34 AM
jeffa55

Well, the car has not dripped again (seems odd) and I climbed under and removed the belly pan to have a look-see. In the rear of the pan there was oil residue and on the back bolt of the AC compressor there was a oil drip (about to drip). I wiped it all down and made sure the dipstick was securely in place. I will now drive the car a couple of times and then go have another look. If there is a leak it looks like I will be going in to the dealer.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:35 PM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

Just took my car in for its six month maintenance and was told that I have a small leak in the "left" valve cover. Not sure if that's driver's side or not.

I hadn't heard of this problem before, but it looks like I'm not the only one. A little disappointing that there would be a problem already (I'm at just over 7,000 miles now), but I guess it's not a huge deal. Service manager said they would order the part and get it fixed as soon as possible, but that it would probably take all day to do.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:32 AM
HDK

yes I experienced leaking/burning oil as well!! This happened after only 12 hours of ownership!! I first noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the car (burning oil) then when I looked underneath, the car was leaking oil. The dealer is looking at it now....

BRAND NEW car........