Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission making noise in low gear.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM
jdallatezza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission making noise in low gear.

I have a 2007 basic 350z with standard transmission (my first standard) - got it in June earlier this year. I've been having a noise problem for the past few months, and I've asked around and even took it to the dealer a few times for a listen and professional opinion. Of course, the guy tells me he hears nothing, like I would expect of any dealer mechanic...

And of the three external opinions I've asked for (all with reliable transmission experience), 1 told me it might not be normal, and the other 2 have thrown it to the excuse of the amount of torque in the lower gears (1st, 2nd)....

That sounds outrageous to me, so I've come here for a collective opinion, hopefully someone here can help me pinpoint the problem (either I'm paranoid, or my tranny's going downhill).

When I start the car, everythings fine, but when I'm accelerating, I hear a something that I can only describe as a sound with 20% grind and 80% whine.
It gets louder and louder as the rpm's increase, but pretty much disappears after I shift into 3rd.

The main confusion and stress I'm having with this is knowing whether or not a standard transmission should make any noise AT ALL as opposed to an automatic, or that the noise is in fact inherent to the 350z.

That's being hopeful though. I seriously think my car is messing up and slowly getting worse, and no one around can help me without throwing a bill in my face worth 3 months of paychecks.

I'd love to hear some enlightenment from people that know what they're doing.

Last edited by jdallatezza; 11-09-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Al_s14

I wish i could tell you but without hearing it nobody can tell you, sad but true. Keep in mind that z transmissions are just noisy period. If what you are hearing is not normal chances are it will get worse and you have plenty of time to get it replaced before warranty expires.

also what is "reliable transmission experience"? and if you have a brand new car how is anybody throwing bills in your face?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:46 AM
jdallatezza

It was a graduation gift, and I took the responsibility of taking care of the car (more than worth it).

As for the whole 'reliable transmission experience' thing, I was referring to the fact that these three guys "brother, uncle, father" have all had their fare share of standard transmission faults, doing well to fix them. I guess I can put in for a CD at the bank to make sure I can afford the highly possible wallet-shredding bill for taking a look at my transmission by eye.

(18 years old, $10/hour)

Just for anyone wanting to take at a bite at my situation later on.....don't give me this b/s rap about "don't buy it if you can't pay for it".

I've heard it many times before, and I've come to this forum for help, not financial advice.

But yeah Al, I'll go ahead and take it back to the dealer and discuss it with the mechanic a little more...it's not exactly getting worse though.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Al_s14

i just didn't understand how they were throwing bills at you while car is still under warranty and was mainly saying that if you have time before warranty expires just let it be for now. give it some time to see if it gets worse
Old 11-11-2007, 04:32 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Z has a very loud tranny. In first and second it can sound like a radio controlled car.

It's normal.

The clutch is also very noisy. You'll hear it whirl, clank, and chatter.

Last edited by cheshirecat79; 11-12-2007 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:39 AM
jdallatezza

Originally Posted by Al_s14
i just didn't understand how they were throwing bills at you while car is still under warranty and was mainly saying that if you have time before warranty expires just let it be for now. give it some time to see if it gets worse

Yeah it's all good, thanks for the advice. I pretty much figured out what it was last night, while I was parked. When I put the clutch in, the sound disappears, but when I take it out, the noise comes back - I can feel it grind through the clutch...gah.

I'm gonna go back to the dealer, I'm sure they'll be more willing to figure it out if I give them this specific problem rather than saying "IT MAKES NOISE! HELP!" lol.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to take it to the dealer, test drive another Z while you're there and see if it does the same thing.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:44 PM
OliverH22

I think I found the answer for my thread...

See my vids.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/314513-clutch-tranny-noises-2007-350z-enthusiast-w-vids.html