Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ringing sound around 4k

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 08:35 AM
mdelia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ringing sound around 4k

Hey all,

When accelerating, I hear a ringing sound coming from the engine bay when i get near 4k (from about 3750rpm through 4250rpm). The sounds is much like two glasses vibrating together rather then a buzzing vibration sound. I noticed it the second day I had the car, and after about a week of driving around it hasn't gotten any worse from what I can tell however I wanted to check in here to see if that is a normal engine sound that others hear.

Unfortunately I haven't found any threads via search that described what I'm hearing so I apologize if this is a common thing.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:36 PM
350z03

Default Re: Ringing sound around 4k

Originally posted by mdelia
Hey all,

When accelerating, I hear a ringing sound coming from the engine bay when i get near 4k (from about 3750rpm through 4250rpm). The sounds is much like two glasses vibrating together rather then a buzzing vibration sound. I noticed it the second day I had the car, and after about a week of driving around it hasn't gotten any worse from what I can tell however I wanted to check in here to see if that is a normal engine sound that others hear.

Unfortunately I haven't found any threads via search that described what I'm hearing so I apologize if this is a common thing.
Check the three guages in the center console. Put your finger on it when you hear it again.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:09 PM
s9am_me

r u sure its coming from the engine bay? it might be really coming from the dash. but yeah.. i don't hear what your describing. or maybe its your keys banging next to each other at 4k rpms
Old 07-01-2003, 09:46 PM
mdelia

Took a ride today with a friend in the car to see if he could pin down where the noise was coming from. Its definately outside of the cockpit of the car as it was barely audiable when the windows are up.

I told him to listen for the sound of two wine glasses vibrating together and he heard it right away. We also noticed that it only seem to happen when the car was accelerating quickly, rather then easily.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:35 AM
jesseenglish

It's your throttle body. Everyone's got it, most don't notice it though. Usually it's described as a high pitched squeal. It happens at certain rpm under certain conditions.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:30 AM
mdelia

Ah, thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll run into another Z owner here in town soon so I can compare the sounds.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:55 PM
StandAloneZ

I think I have the same sound coming out of my Z. Im not sure what it is...when i shift into the next gear the sound goes away until i push hard again. I hope its nothing bad because i really dont wanna take my car to Nissan. It doesnt matter how hard i push, the sounds comes at a certain amount of rpms and then the engine and exhaust drowns it out.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by StandAloneZ
I think I have the same sound coming out of my Z. Im not sure what it is...when i shift into the next gear the sound goes away until i push hard again. I hope its nothing bad because i really dont wanna take my car to Nissan. It doesnt matter how hard i push, the sounds comes at a certain amount of rpms and then the engine and exhaust drowns it out.
I have it too, it doesn't seem to cause any problems, there aren't any power losses or any thing going wrong, its seems to be crossing a threshold over 4000rpm and it disappears quickly. I'm not worried about it.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:12 AM
jesseenglish

It's totally normal guys. It's actually a suction sound that you're hearing which is made when the Throttle body opens and sucks air through from your intake pipes.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:52 AM
StandAloneZ

Hey thanx guys for the quick responses. I feel better now knowing that it's nothing harmful to the Z.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:56 PM
joeddmd

Default Ring under the car?

Hey, I'v got a ring sound comeing from my car too. It sounds more like a clatter. I get it on acceleration mostly. Doesn't have to be hard or at any paticular rpm. Just bliping the throttle can cause it. Sounds like a loose bolt. When it clanks, it is sometimes followed by two or three subsequent clanks. Sounds like two small metal objects hitting. I have a stillen cat back and I was thinking it might be that but it's got lots of clearance all around. Any word on the underbody diffusers comeing loose, I have drug the bottom once or twice I'd swear it's comeing from under the car on the right side though? My sound is like ya'lls though, it comes just during acceleration, after a shift?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by StandAloneZ
Hey thanx guys for the quick responses. I feel better now knowing that it's nothing harmful to the Z.
I just got back from an errand and the ring happens for me when I'm crossing 4000rpm. I've always heard it, but I wouldn't notice any more unless I was concentrating on it then, which I was. Just one of the sounds the car makes, no biggie.