Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Any 08 Transmission Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
ferrarifreak93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slyde77
ok i have this prob also. I have a 08 touring with 500 miles on it and my boss has a 08 enthusiast 350 miles. I was starting to think i was hearing things but after reading this i went for a ride in my bosses 350z. His has no whine what so ever or any weird noises. Now in mine when i release the clutch i hear a bunch of noise and then its gone when i press it in. When i start to speed up in 1st and 2nd i hear a whine as if i had a supercharger lol. Its so loud that a can barely my exhaust lol. I only had this Z for 2 weeks i traded my 05 Z (which had no probs beside being a auto lol) in for this. I'm calling them first thing tomm.

Lance
Your boss's car is the perfect example. Not all Zs make this noise so why do so many say it's normal? Keep us updated on what they do.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
Stogge

^^^ +1
Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Stogge

For transmission we have 5yr/60k right?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Slyde77

Ok ill let you guys know what happens and what they say. They cant pull any fast stuff, because me and my boss got our Z's at the sametime from the same place (got good deals on them because of that). Im bringing it in on monday. Also yes the Drivetrain is 5yr 60,000 miles, Heres a link with all the info on the warranty.

http://www.newcar.com/15/01/2008/nis...nty/index.html

Lance
Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Slyde77

ok guys sry for the long long time to fill you in what happen with the dealer. At first they said to drive it for at least 5k miles. but i told them no and took it back to them. Turns out my tranny was bad and they had to replace it. this is what the service sheet says. Customer states noise in the transmission, input shaft bent causing bearings to fail replace transmission assy. So i get the car back and start it up and i hear a diff sound. now i think this is just fly wheel chatter because its much much lower and it doesnt get louder when i rev it. plus the tranny feels much better. now my boss has fly wheel chatter also like this so i think the prob was fixed.

Lance
Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 PM
ferrarifreak93

ok guys sry for the long long time to fill you in what happen with the dealer. At first they said to drive it for at least 5k miles. but i told them no and took it back to them. Turns out my tranny was bad and they had to replace it. this is what the service sheet says. Customer states noise in the transmission, input shaft bent causing bearings to fail replace transmission assy. So i get the car back and start it up and i hear a diff sound. now i think this is just fly wheel chatter because its much much lower and it doesnt get louder when i rev it. plus the tranny feels much better. now my boss has fly wheel chatter also like this so i think the prob was fixed.

Lance
Can you describe the sounds you hear now and when you hear them (clutch pressed in, released, when car is decelerating, etc)?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Slyde77

Well you hear it when the clutch is released but it does sound close to the sound before but its much much lower and its doesnt get louder when i rev the motor or get on it when im driving. before it sounded like i had a supercharger on my car lol and i couldnt hear my exhaust. now i did drive my bosses car like 3 days ago and i heard the same sound as i have now and i said you have it to now. but as i drove it it was a diff sound then mine. his i was able to hear the exhaust like mine now before i couldnt. Now does your car sound like it has a super charger on it ? or loud whining nosie? what is your car doing?

Lance
Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 PM
baspence

my 07 has 34k on it and doesn't make this sound at all.... I dunno man, sounds like my old gsr did after I ran it low in transmission fluid at over 150mph for a few minutes... I'd definately go to dealership on this and make them give me a new one!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Ghost_shift

Its normal. I have the same noise from my 08, and I had the same with my 04. Dont worry.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM
JK_HRZ

Hm. "Any 08 transmission issues" ohhhh yeahhhh.

Lol my slave cylinder has been replaced 3 times.

My car is actually at the dealer right now getting a brand new transmission because I couldn't get the car into 5th and 6th gear.

POS. FML.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
rps13drift

Hey Guys! I noticed the other day when I did a nice spirited sprint on the highway with my 08 that the clutch pedal got real soft and crappy feeling after a few hard bursts. I was able to shift in all the gears but the pedal just felt real sloppy. I know its probably the slave cylinder causing this problem like others have stated. I know from my long 240sx experiences with this problem that they made a stainless steel braided clutch line that bypassed a little box that makes the clutch pedal soft. I wonder if us z33 owners might be facing a similar situation.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well My trans is getting replaced again
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
ferrarifreak93

Originally Posted by Chi-TownWarrior
again? what was the problem this time? I will have mine looked at too once I find a dealer with a good rep in the san francisco or san jose area,
Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
BaoZer

I have the sound on my 08. It's a whine sound coming from first until i shift to second is when its gone.. It's pretty loud.. So today i went to dealership and so i get my new transmission coming in next week. I love warranty..
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 AM
GHOST1207

Now in mine when i release the clutch i hear a bunch of noise and then its gone when i press it in.
Same thing happens to me, but the opposite. When I press the clutch to take it out of gear/gear up while going up on an incline and going downhill, I hear a bunch of clunking sounds for half a second. I also have a whining noise coming from the transmission, while going 30mph and up, if i let off the gas, i can hear a low whine coming from the center console, but if i get on the gas again, it goes away. Really noticeable at 45-50mph in 5th gear. 2008 Touring with a little over 15k miles on her, bone stock. Been ignoring this since earlier this year, but after reading this thread, maybe it's time to take her in.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
GHOST1207

Couple more things I noticed today, when revving past 3k rpms, and while going uphill in 30mph in 2nd, I can hear the noise, but it's more prominent.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Blackzizzle

^^I have noticed the clunking sound you are referring to since the day I bought my '08 also, but always thought it was normal for our flywheel. Just passed 17k, and other than this noise mine sounds/operates flawlessly.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 PM
AZHR

any updates? also no problems with mine after i had my replaced...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
uglyduc

Thread back from the dead. Found this while looking up "transmission" "rattle"

After reading this thread, I'm thinking about taking my car in to have Nissan check it out. I've noticed my syncros in third are having a hard time matching up on both up and down shifts... very annoying going hot into a turn at the track...

Also when she's warm, the tranny likes to rattle like rocks stuck in a thick can. This part actually doesn't bother me and seems very normal coming from the Ducati dry clutch world.

Last edited by uglyduc; 03-17-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Kuhan

Anyone with an 08 6mt that is experiencing a whining noise coming from the trans? A few guys here on base have 08 6mts that don't whine. I searched and found nothing with the 08. I have 6100 miles and have been wondering about this, and now It's a concern because I can't seem to find anyone else with an 08 and the whining noise, nor any info on it.
Thanks for posting the video.

Now I know that my 08 has the exact same problem. I will bring the car to Glendale Nissan to get it checked out.

Quick Reply: Any 08 Transmission Issues?