Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:17 PM
pulpz2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
Why worry? Because a tranny swap is 3500 bucks plus labor! Even if there is a slight chance it could come back, I dont want to have to pay 5000 something bucks, unless its to drop in a turbo. Whether or not my third transmission pans out well, I plan on selling at 60k miles.

Hopefully the Supra will be out by then...
There is a slight chance in any car. Besides, the cost associated with selling one car and buying another is about the cost of a tranny swap. But, to each their own. And if you get the Supra, remember, we've been friends for a long time.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:47 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
A trans out of a wrecked Z probably costs under 1000....and a trans swap on a RWD car can be done in your garage with jackstands and simple hand tools in a couple hours.

If the trans fails AFTER 60K total miles on it then I would link that to wear or abuse...not a faulty transmission.
Why is that? Seems to me these trannys are more than capable of failing at any mileage...

and of course the tires...

I do like the car a lot... its just tough having to drive around a dang Kia Sedona while my car is in the shop!

And IMO the transmission should last 100,000 miles on dang near any car.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Why is that? Seems to me these trannys are more than capable of failing at any mileage...
You should edit that to say that ANY transmission is capable of failing at ANY mileage. Many different makes and models of vehicles have transmission issues regularly, just be glad ours has only minor synchro issues, not full out failure issues (gears shearing, etc.)

I do like the car a lot... its just tough having to drive around a dang Kia Sedona while my car is in the shop!
Welcome to owning a car. Do you think there are car models out there that NEVER have to go to the shop for anything? Every car model from every manufacturer has issues. It's just part of having a machine that has thousands of different parts that are all supposed to work in harmony. I'm just glad that the Z's problems are small compared to models from some other manufacturer's (Toyota Truck suspension collapsing, Ford engine fires, BMW unfixable electrical issues, etc.)

While my Z was in the shop for about a month of the first year I owned it...it has been rock solid ever since..and hasn't even seen a dealer mechanic since about 15K miles.

And IMO the transmission should last 100,000 miles on dang near any car.
"Should" is the key word. Do they?? Hell no.

Cars "should" last forever. They "should" fly. They "should" get 100mpg.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 AM
tacomaboy

You should edit that to say that ANY transmission is capable of failing at ANY mileage. Many different makes and models of vehicles have transmission issues regularly, just be glad ours has only minor synchro issues, not full out failure issues (gears shearing, etc.)
I should edit it to say the Z 6M is the ONLY transmission that seems to regularly fail withing 7500 miles on a completely unacceptable number of vehicles.

Welcome to owning a car. Do you think there are car models out there that NEVER have to go to the shop for anything? Every car model from every manufacturer has issues. It's just part of having a machine that has thousands of different parts that are all supposed to work in harmony. I'm just glad that the Z's problems are small compared to models from some other manufacturer's (Toyota Truck suspension collapsing, Ford engine fires, BMW unfixable electrical issues, etc.)
Welcome? I been here for 10 years now. I have had 4 cars over those years, and my parents have had many more in that time. I have NEVER had a car in the shop this many times for problems THIS sever withting THIS many miles. Its absurd to think that having a THIRD transmission, tire feathering, seat shifting, axle clicking, and all the other problems I have had on this car is even remotly acceptable, even on a sports car.

While my Z was in the shop for about a month of the first year I owned it...it has been rock solid ever since..and hasn't even seen a dealer mechanic since about 15K miles.

"Should" is the key word. Do they?? Hell no.

Cars "should" last forever. They "should" fly. They "should" get 100mpg.
And SHOULD implies that one can reasonably expect a transmission to last that long.

I cannot believe that you will suck up to Nissan so badly that you will argue ot me that I should ACCEPT and be HAPPY with this crap qualtiy!

15,500 miles!!! I spent 30,000 dollars on this car!! And It has been in the shop 5 times now. And it will still have problems after THIS visit!

Why should I expect that the new transmission will work THIS time, when they havent gotten it right with the first change? And when others have gone through 4 transmissions?

Why should people accept that tires may last 9k miles, just because its a sports car?

I mean, Even M3s dont have these problems. The S2000 is amazingly solid and just as fast as the Z... Even GMs corvette isnt as plagued (percentage wise) by the tire and transmission problems.

So, please spare us who have to deal with this over and over. I am not stupid, I know exactly what I should expect out of my car, and a new transmission avery 7500 miles is NOT what I should expect.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:41 AM
tacomaboy

Wow, you set me off I guess...

guys, please stop trying to taunt me and imply that its my fault or that its acceptable.

Im driving a Kia right now. I am plenty pissed off as it is, I dont need anyone telling me that I should expect to be driving a kia and replacing the transmission constantly on a car I pay so much for.

If you disagree with me and think that the new transmissions are good, then fine... but there are plenty of people here who have had so many transmissions replaced that its a pretty fair argument to say that they are not fine.

Go look at the S2000 boards... you wont see these kinds of threads. Nissan really needs to deal with this.

Anyhow, I am going to sell it.. I just hope I dont take too much of a loss...
Old 07-12-2005, 11:47 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I cannot believe that you will suck up to Nissan so badly that you will argue ot me that I should ACCEPT and be HAPPY with this crap qualtiy!
Suck up to Nissan?? Where did I say you should "accept" and be "happy" with anything? Don't misquote me.

15,500 miles!!! I spent 30,000 dollars on this car!! And It has been in the shop 5 times now. And it will still have problems after THIS visit!
Then sell it.

Why should I expect that the new transmission will work THIS time, when they havent gotten it right with the first change? And when others have gone through 4 transmissions?
Mine works great...and so do plenty of other people's. You really need to sell this car.

Why should people accept that tires may last 9k miles, just because its a sports car?
I never said they should, but you still really need to sell your car.

I mean, Even M3s dont have these problems. The S2000 is amazingly solid and just as fast as the Z... Even GMs corvette isnt as plagued (percentage wise) by the tire and transmission problems.
M3s had engine failure issues in the early part of this gen and are plagued by numerous annoying electrical gremlins. S2000s have had transmission and differential FAILURE issues pretty regularly since they came out. Don't even get me started on the Corvette and all the issues that the early C5 had.

So, please spare us who have to deal with this over and over. I am not stupid, I know exactly what I should expect out of my car, and a new transmission avery 7500 miles is NOT what I should expect.

You obviously hate the car, so stop b!tching on an internet forum about it and doing something about it. SELL IT.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
tacomaboy

I love the car, I hate the quality. Show me the 100+ page thread on any forum that shows where S2000s have had a particular problem. Doesnt exist does it.

And I have always thought BMW to be unreliable, but at least if I had a BMW I would expect it to be in the shop a lot, and I would have a BMW loaner instead of a damned Kia Minivan.

And as far as me *****ing about the car on the forum, have you not READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD? How many other people have had multiple transmission replacements. Just because youre willing to let Nissan screw you doesnt mean I have to take it.

I WILL sell this car.. before word gets out how crappy they are built and resale value falls to junk.

Maybe I am the crazy one for being upset about all the tranny failures, but at least I am not the one denying its a serious problem AT THE END OF A 30 PAGE THREAD!

Last edited by tacomaboy; 07-12-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:29 PM
LiquidZee

Oh, I'm sitting on my 4th yes 4th transmission with the gears still grinding away it fifth gear. I'm also out of the 60kmile drive train warranty (66k miles).....

hehe sale of the Z sounds like a good idea. Are there any aftermarket syncro kits out there? I don't want to spend $2k on a 2003 model car to get the transmission fixed. its rediculous.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
tacomaboy

OMFG ^^^

No offense but I REALLLLY dont want to be you!!

This is my fear.. to be stuck in a grinding POS and of course no one will want to buy it right?

But.. hopefully this might help... your *transmission* itself should have its OWN warranty.. if your last one was done 90 days ago or something, it might still be covered.

Personally, I would seriously consider a small claims case against Nissan for a new tranny.

My wife keeps saying how this is the car I wanted so badly and how much I love it, but you know what, I love my wife more, but if she grinded on me the way my tranny does, I would dump her too!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:41 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I love the car, I hate the quality. Show me the 100+ page thread on any forum that shows where S2000s have had a particular problem. Doesnt exist does it.
This thread has 29 pages...not 100+, but that's not the point. I took a look over at s2ki.com and they don't STICKY threads like this like we do over here, plus they don't have a specific forum for repairing. I was able to find this thread.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=261434

I'm sure glad my Nissan dealer (and most other nissan dealers) don't try to void my warranty because of a few mods on the car. Plus notice how many people talk about the cr@ppy CV joints on the S2k and the trans replacements they have had.

And I have always thought BMW to be unreliable, but at least if I had a BMW I would expect it to be in the shop a lot, and I would have a BMW loaner instead of a damned Kia Minivan.
Then why did you use the M3 as an "example" of a reliable performance car????
And as far as me *****ing about the car on the forum, have you not READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD? How many other people have had multiple transmission replacements. Just because youre willing to let Nissan screw you doesnt mean I have to take it.
Yes...the title of the thread clearly states "Post here if you've had your TRANNY replaced". It does NOT state "Keep whining and b1tching about your car even after you've already posted about your transmission being replaced." How has nissan screwed me? I haven't paid ONE CENT in repairs to my 350Z in the 2.5 years that I've owned it...and it was in the shop for a total of a couple weeks the first year I owned it. Hasn't been since. Tell me again how Nissan is "screwing" me.

I WILL sell this car.. before word gets out how crappy they are built and resale value falls to junk.
That's funny...for 05, JD Power named the 350Z BEST IN CLASS (sports car) in initial quality. I don't see the resale value going down anytime soon due to some griding transmissions which MOST people have had rectified after 1 replacement.

Maybe I am the crazy one for being upset about all the tranny failures, but at least I am not the one denying its a serious problem AT THE END OF A 30 PAGE THREAD!
I never said you were crazy and I also didn't state that it was or wasn't a serious problem. The FACT is Nissan is willing to replace your "faulty" transmission without argument for the period of your factory warranty. So this isn't costing anyone but Nissan money YET. Weither this problem continues (which I don't see it doing since the 008 trans update which I and many others have had no problems with) will be determined with time. Until then you can't really call this a SERIOUS problem since it isn't costing consumers money and it does NOT affect the safety of the vehicle.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 07-12-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 PM
tacomaboy

Funny the 008 update hasnt helped me one bit.

Face it, the car is unreliable. Even for a sports car. Get defensive if you want but considering you said your car spent an entire month in the shop the first year you owned it, I would say you are a good example of how unreliable it is.

"That's funny...for 05, JD Power named the 350Z BEST IN CLASS (sports car) in initial quality. I don't see the resale value going down anytime soon due to some griding transmissions which MOST people have had rectified after 1 replacement."

Someone should tell JD Power about the slew of transmission replacements at 5k miles, and about the guy three posts above on his 4th tranny thats grinding again. What exactly do they look for in the JD Power initial quality test? Is this the one that always ranks Mustang and Neon the highest?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:07 PM
tacomaboy

These guys have posted they had their trannies replaced since 1/05. Thats only the ones who posted, and many of them had it multiple times. Hey fellas, would you consider the transmission reliable?

kk82nyc
donkeypuncher
LIDrew
NissanJunkie
nbdyfcnsqnc
mc350z
tgunn
ryanmac516
ssk0771 3
bio911
bugz
alpine
xephiron
jcroteau
raptorbh12
projectmrod
Z33ADDICT
tommym
ironviet
Huckingfellers
dainbramage91
Rog1206
phile
phreezee
redlinez
dainbramage91
Badmonkey_1
plastiketa
jerrera350
tonysZ
arizzee
methylal
jcn30127
CFZ
methylal
NissanJunkie again in a few months
little_rod
stopgo
daequitz
stopgo something like 100 trannys
raptorbh12 on his 4th
salc after 4th sued Nissan
drew76924 3
LiquidZee 4 and his 4th is grinding
rjenk
mwh350z

Last edited by tacomaboy; 07-12-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:58 PM
ssk0771

SSK0771 (me) had 3 trannies replaced and was on 4th , 3 clevis pin replace, 1 cluch pedal assembly replaced on his previous car (03' Chrome Silver Coupe) before Nissan bought it back.

&

I am on 2nd tranny on my Roadster. Its smoother than the first tranny but I still have 2nd gear grind here and there & 3 gear knoch. The thing that annoys me the most is the real loud rattle in my tranny for few second. When I say loud, I really mean loud. I know that Z tranny rattles when clutch is out but mine rattles really loud for few seconds and than it goes to normal rattle (The one that everyone is complaining about).

Also, ever since I got my 2nd tranny on my roadster, it seems like I am loosing pressure on my clutch. I better take it in before my warrenty expires.

I am really tired of *****ing & moaning about trannies anymore. If you go to tranny post from later part of 2003 on this tread, you will see me posting daily.

I did my share of *****ing & moaning. I am TIRED of IT.

Last edited by ssk0771; 07-12-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:00 PM
tacomaboy

I am tired of *****ing about it too... I need to find some time and go talk to the GM at my dealership... unfortunatly now none of my options are great.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:25 PM
ssk0771

These guys have posted they had their trannies replaced since 1/05. Thats only the ones who posted, and many of them had it multiple times. Hey fellas, would you consider the transmission reliable?

kk82nyc
donkeypuncher
LIDrew
NissanJunkie
nbdyfcnsqnc
mc350z
tgunn
ryanmac516
ssk0771 3
bio911
bugz
alpine
xephiron
jcroteau
raptorbh12
projectmrod
Z33ADDICT
tommym
ironviet
Huckingfellers
dainbramage91
Rog1206
phile
phreezee
redlinez
dainbramage91
Badmonkey_1
plastiketa
jerrera350
tonysZ
arizzee
methylal
jcn30127
CFZ
methylal
NissanJunkie again in a few months
little_rod
stopgo
daequitz
stopgo something like 100 trannys
raptorbh12 on his 4th
salc after 4th sued Nissan
drew76924 3
LiquidZee 4 and his 4th is grinding
rjenk
mwh350z
If you start from begining of the tread, you will have many many more.

I personlly know 3 other people that had 3 or more tranny replace so they sued Nissan and won.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:30 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by ssk0771
If you start from begining of the tread, you will have many many more.

I personlly know 3 other people that had 3 or more tranny replace so they sued Nissan and won.
I was going to, but it would take too long!

But could you pretty please give me some contact info for your friends? I dont want to sue Nissan, but I do want them to buy my car back, and if I had their info, it would help me greatly. Please PM me... I will also PM you as well.

thanks!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Funny the 008 update hasnt helped me one bit.
You must have missed the part where I said MOST people..not all have had success with the 008 update.

Face it, the car is unreliable. Even for a sports car. Get defensive if you want but considering you said your car spent an entire month in the shop the first year you owned it, I would say you are a good example of how unreliable it is.
I bought the car (an early 03 model) KNOWING FULL WELL that it would have first model year issues. All of my issues were solved in the first year I owned it and it's been absolutely faboulous ever since. So no...I won't face anything. My Z has never stranded me anywhere, or overheated, or refused to start. So I don't consider my car to be unreliable at all.

Someone should tell JD Power about the slew of transmission replacements at 5k miles, and about the guy three posts above on his 4th tranny thats grinding again. What exactly do they look for in the JD Power initial quality test? Is this the one that always ranks Mustang and Neon the highest?
Show me the list of 05 cars that have had multiple trans replacements, or any for that matter...because JD power's rating was on the 05 Z.

The fact is this has become an ISOLATED continuing problem on a small amount of 03-04 350Zs (less 04s than 03s which should also tell you something). The number of new people in this thread who have trans problems is getting smaller and smaller every month. I'm happy with my trans as are a MAJORITY of 350Z owners.

So go ahead and have Nissan buy back your car...you deserve it for all the aggrevation they've obviously caused you. More power to you.

And congratulations, you COMPLETELY missed my point throughout this small argument. I wasn't saying that you should just take it...and I wasn't defending Nissan. All I was saying is that you have to expect a first or even second model year car to have issues. It takes ANY car company at least a year to work out the bugs in their new models. I'm just glad it wasn't a more serious problem such as engine failure or some other failure that would leave me stranded on the side of the road as some other cars have in the past.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 AM
tacomaboy

And congratulations, you COMPLETELY missed my point throughout this small argument. I wasn't saying that you should just take it...and I wasn't defending Nissan. All I was saying is that you have to expect a first or even second model year car to have issues. It takes ANY car company at least a year to work out the bugs in their new models. I'm just glad it wasn't a more serious problem such as engine failure or some other failure that would leave me stranded on the side of the road as some other cars have in the past.

Well man, you come of sounding completly like a Nissan apologist, and its infuriating to someone who is going through what I am right now.

Mine is not a first year car, its pracitcally a 3rd year model.

And as far as the 05s, you havent seen multiple tranny swaps yet because they haventyet hit 10k miles, but as sure as drivers seats shifts, you will.

I am not trying to imply your car sucks. The Z IS an awesome car, but in my book the build quality is poor.

so.. that is all...
Old 07-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Pit Bull

Just trying to use logic, I can see someone getting a bad transmission but the odds of getting that transmission replaced with another bad transmission has to be really high and then for it to happen for a third time is lottery winning odds territory. How are you guys shifting these cars? Anyone using the clutch when your shifting at the drag strip
Old 07-13-2005, 06:14 PM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by Pit Bull
Just trying to use logic, I can see someone getting a bad transmission but the odds of getting that transmission replaced with another bad transmission has to be really high and then for it to happen for a third time is lottery winning odds territory. How are you guys shifting these cars? Anyone using the clutch when your shifting at the drag strip
Yes, I do a 6000 RPM clutch drop IN 5TH GEAR?!

my 5th and 6th gears are the ones that have gone out BOTH times. No WAY can it be my fault... specially if Nissan replaces it without batting an eylash. Nissan KNOWS the tranny is prone to grinidng.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.