Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:32 PM
MyLilBlkG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by MyLilBlkG; 10-19-2005 at 12:34 PM. Reason: wrong user
Old 10-19-2005, 12:37 PM
ricepeck

hey everyone...i just had my tranny replaced on 10/14/05 along with a clutch i suppose...(disc assy-clutc as stated on invoice...anyone wanna elaborate for me?) at 17000 miles. My car had a loud noise coming from the engine area when clutch out and also i had a squeaky noise coming from the clutch pedal whenever i depressed on the clutch. Nissan told me that the problem was internal and that they had to replace the tranny.

As TXSTYLE stated, yeah...huge difference...a lot smoother shifting whenever releasing the clutch on a shift...the car almost never jerks, and my clutch pedal seems a lot easier to press compared to the old stiff clutch. I was really disappointed in my car previously because of the various problems but now i love my car again,....but i dont know for how long because i fear that these problems will come back,(my tire feathering for example...second alignment and tires already and warranty is about to expire)...i hope not cuz im in no mood to buy another ride.

Also i noticed that its kinda harder to shift from gear to gear now...upshift is hard and downshift is harder...is there a break-in period for the new tranny? thx in advance for all your replies.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
tripmachine

New tranny in my '03 touring with 24k miles.... getting it done TODAY while i'm here at work. plus new fly wheel.... clutch is remaining the same. being done at Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa, CA
Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Yes. There is definitely a 'break-in' period for the new tranny. I believe my tech said a few hundred miles or so. I just can't believe they can't seem to get this right...?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Risk

Originally Posted by Miko
Never knew that really; always thought that Nissan built the trans. I have heard that Nissan does make one of the best engines (v6) though.
About the trans, do you think that this was a quality trans or not? I also wonder if it changes from year to year?
The 6mt that Nissan puts in 350zs is NOT a quality tranny. The motor is great, but after I had replaced my tranny twice in my Z, I decided enough is enough and sold it to get my current FX35. Same motor, but with a 5at and it is a great, problem free car.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 AM
payyourtoll

wow, this is a horrible problem on the z, eh?

I am looking to get into a z, sexy as hell, bulletproof motor, but the tranny thing has me doubting my decision. eek
Old 10-24-2005, 09:41 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Risk
The 6mt that Nissan puts in 350zs is NOT a quality tranny. The motor is great, but after I had replaced my tranny twice in my Z, I decided enough is enough and sold it to get my current FX35. Same motor, but with a 5at and it is a great, problem free car.

Tell that to the thousands of Z owners (including me) that have ZERO transmissions issues.

The only problem with some 350Z transmissions is defective synchros. A few defective synchros does not equal a bad quality transmission. The majority of owners who have had their tranmissions replaced just once have yet to have the problem resurface. There are a small number of people who have had very bad luck...but although they speak loudly they don't speak for the majority. People love to complain.

I personally have 43k miles and nearly 500 crank hp. I beat the living cr@p out of my Z on a regular basis and the drivetrain has held up better than any other car that I've owned and modified.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:05 AM
radioflyer350

1st tranny replaced 08/05 @ 5200 miles Key Nissan (Harddeville Sc) dealer was great. Tranny has been fine since.

Radio Flyer
Old 10-26-2005, 02:03 PM
JERZ33

Production Date: 08/04
VIN: (M)650189
Milage: 1,782

Should I be worried? I tried to sift through all 33 pages, but my ADD is kicking in pretty hard...
Old 10-26-2005, 03:33 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by JERZ33
Production Date: 08/04
VIN: (M)650189
Milage: 1,782

Should I be worried? I tried to sift through all 33 pages, but my ADD is kicking in pretty hard...
I wouldn't be worried...I've heard of very few (if any) 05s having issues.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:48 PM
MSOsr

My 2003 VIN: 4271
Mileage: 33,000
Status: Being replaced as we speak, with a Nismo flywheel added.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
JERZ33

kinda hoping it takes a dump to I can get this flywheel and clutch installed...

(jp)
Old 10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
wow, this is a horrible problem on the z, eh?

I am looking to get into a z, sexy as hell, bulletproof motor, but the tranny thing has me doubting my decision. eek
Dont do it! Seriously.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by 350ztoronto
im having alot of problems going into 2nd and once in a while my 3rd grinds but i have an 05 roadster i thought they fixed this problem in the 05 models anyone else with an 05 experiencing these probs?

2004 Z. Clunky , notchy shift almost always from 1st to 2nd . improves a little as it warms up ,but with cooler weather here its gonna be an increasing problem. i find myself reving the engine with what seems to be higher rpms than required , or really granny shift i.e. taking it out of gear before shifting into 2nd in order to get a smooth transition shift. Dont know if this means bad syncros.

My dealer service dept sucks as they blew me off when i first brought up the issue. Said it was shifting normal. I have not even tried to bring it up with them again. Debating on whether to dump the car next year or try to get some of the issues resolved.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Actually...I know exactly what you're talking about. Go drive your car until it's fully warmed up and then let it idle..and go behind your car and put your ear by one of your exhaust tips. I guarantee you'll hear that "clunk" through your exhaust tips. It's something about the way that our car idles and the motor makes a clunk or "popping" sound through the exhaust every once in a while at idle. It might be timing or fuel related...but either way it's completely normal. I've heard multiple Z's make that noise.

At first I thought it was coming from my trans too...until I was on the dyno one day and noticed that the clunk correlated with the sound from the exhaust.

It's definitely not a transmission issue.
I was "told" by my on the ball service dept that the thump and the rough idle with the AC off was due to a lean idle condition and was normal. It goes away when the RPMs rise as soon as the AC is turned on. This in itself would seem to indicate that the engine is programed with the idle too low.Why did nissan design an engine with a too low idle???? Who knows.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by DAYTONA-ZED
I was "told" by my on the ball service dept that the thump and the rough idle with the AC off was due to a lean idle condition and was normal. It goes away when the RPMs rise as soon as the AC is turned on. This in itself would seem to indicate that the engine is programed with the idle too low.Why did nissan design an engine with a too low idle???? Who knows.
Why does it indicate that the engine is programmed to idle too low?? It idles around 650rpm just like many many other vehicles out there.

It's not a lean condition...I have a wideband A/F guage and if it was a lean condition then it would show up on the guage shortly after a "thump".
Old 10-26-2005, 09:34 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by DAYTONA-ZED
2004 Z. Clunky , notchy shift almost always from 1st to 2nd . improves a little as it warms up ,but with cooler weather here its gonna be an increasing problem. i find myself reving the engine with what seems to be higher rpms than required , or really granny shift i.e. taking it out of gear before shifting into 2nd in order to get a smooth transition shift. Dont know if this means bad syncros.

My dealer service dept sucks as they blew me off when i first brought up the issue. Said it was shifting normal. I have not even tried to bring it up with them again. Debating on whether to dump the car next year or try to get some of the issues resolved.

Sell it and buy a corolla...It'll shift smooth for ya.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:35 AM
TX-Ruben

2003 w/28k Miles, Its being replaced as I type this.

Started grinding 3rd when cold about 2 months ago, and got worse, just decided to take it in...
Old 10-27-2005, 11:43 AM
jkaale

2003, Had Tranny Replaced At 12,000 Miles.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Sell it and buy a corolla...It'll shift smooth for ya.

Nah. 2005 GTO . Looks like a rental car, but goes like hell.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.