Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

SES + P2135 + Limp Mode = Electrical Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SES + P2135 + Limp Mode = Electrical Problem??

hey guys, i have been dealing with this problem for awhile and i'm trying to fix it so hopefully someone can shed some light on the questions that i have....

my car will randomly go into limp mode (SES+VDC+SLIP) and cut my ability to rev the engine almost completely... when this happens, i have to turn the car off and the VDC+SLIP lights will go away... the SES light will stay on... I never get all 3 lights at start up, just while driving...

I had the code pulled and it was P2135 TPS Malfunction... replaced the throttle body, cleared SES, relearned and it still does it... i was about to replace the accelerator assembly but today i noticed something...

It was hot as ***** today and i was driving to a meeting (about 20 miles) and got hit with limp mode 3 different times, all requiring a restart (it never comes out of limp mode until restarted)... when i left the meeting, it was cloudy, so i decided to roll the windows down... on the return trip i did not go into limp mode at all... what was different??

on the way there, i was using a/c and on the way back, i was not... also, when i stopped at a store on the way back, i had to turn the car off, was in the store for 5 mins and when i came out the door handle shocked me slightly when i touched it (not the first time the door handle shocked me)...

does this sound like a possible culprit or just a chance coincidence??
possibly a bad grounding point???
a/c .... ???
where are the grounding points on a 2004 350Z??

any input would be greatly appreciated before i buy anymore parts that i don't need... next time the limp mode kicks on and if the a/c is on, i am gonna turn the a/c off before turning the car off to see if the car comes out of limp mode... in the past, i was to occupied with getting safely to the shoulder...

update: so i put the right tires on the car and that didnt fix the problem so today i took the car to Turbo-Toys in tampa... the owner hooked up the consult II and found error code U1000 popping up in a couple of the ecu directories so he cleared them all and then pulled the TB harness, stretched/bent the connectors and added some dielectric grease...

on the ride to tampa from orlando, the car went into limp mode about 6 times... i got so sick of it that i went ahead and just stayed in limp mode and "limped" the majority of the way there... on the way back the car went into limp mode NOT ONCE!!!! so hopefully that was the problem and my Z will drive like she has always wanted to....

my advice for anyone throwing a P2135... before going to the dealer, pull the code for free at autozone... before buying a new throttle body, like the dealer insisted, pull the harness and check the connection... possibly add some dielectric grease on the connectors...

Last edited by dragonfire6; 05-20-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: update...
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I would do is verify the engine is getting the proper current. Check the output of both your battery and your alternator.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What size tires are you running?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
What size tires are you running?
This is probably it. Good call.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
dragonfire6

Default ...

would the tire size cause the car to throw a p2135?? the SES light stays on and that is the code it throws
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
dragonfire6

Default ...

took her out for another 60 miles tonight without the a/c on and she ran perfect... i really feel like the problem has to do with the electrical system or a/c...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
dragonfire6

Default ...

so... she went into limp mode while driving with the a/c off... there goes that theory

i am currently running: F: 225/35/19
R: 245/40/19

i know these sizes **** the Z off, so i'm putting 225/40's on the front... 95% of the time limp mode initiates from me going over a rough patch of road...

could this be a sign that i have a bad/bad connection for a wheel speed sensor or some other sensor?

would the tire sizes cause the engine to throw a P2135 code or should it just light up the VDC & Slip???
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old *** thread but ill bump it.. i went into limp mode and had this code the other day. i cleared it and got it out of limp mode and its been fine for 60 miles now without issue. At this point im kinda waiting for it to happen again but it hasnt yet. Did your issue ever come back?