Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

berk high flow cat bunged up again!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default berk high flow cat bunged up again!!

hey guys, so i run a set of metallic berk high flows on my car combined with nismo cat back and my vortech setup..but anyway i put them on went and got tuned at aam a while ago drove for about 3k miles and the first set failed and the catalyst inside pass. side collapsed and driver side was starting to break apart, they were replaced by berk with no problem, i installed the 2nd set and now today driving to work did the same thing after about 2k miles on them..pass. side cat failed and i just cant beleive it, car gets real quiet and down on power..my car is not misfiring ever never has, it is not running lean i see highest of 11.8 on the transition into boost and low 10's around redline on my wideband and was dyno tuned so there is no problem with my car..

anyway after the venting. i am having my money refunded for the cats and going with the test pipes but since the driver side is ok and i hate rasp what do u guys think of leaving the driver side high flow and running the berk test pipe on the pass. side, as far as i know they flow about the same if not the same and the high flow is just more to pass emissions and avoid rasp..and ill have a spare for driver side if it happens again.. i figure it should cut down on a little rasp and i dont have to pull the driver side it will save me some headache time....only looking for answers that make sense please, not opinions, i dont see a problem with it..thanks guys lemme know what u think
Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. would be a good case for now having to retune the car- they may flow close to the same, but they are not the same
2. removing the cats is really not a big deal in the first place, so certainly easy enough to do the job correctly
3. you risk having the same thing happening to the other side anyway - again, just do the job completely.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
1. would be a good case for now having to retune the car- they may flow close to the same, but they are not the same
2. removing the cats is really not a big deal in the first place, so certainly easy enough to do the job correctly
3. you risk having the same thing happening to the other side anyway - again, just do the job completely.

i know what ur saying, but really truly i hate rasp and thought maybe i could cut it down a little and avoid my problem here
i was told by JT that if i changed to test pipes before when this happened that it prolly wouldnt be worth it to get retuned because he said there wouldnt be any real difference if any.. i really just dont see why its happening i mean i thought these were supposed to withstand F.I. z's ..
as far as the risk of it happening again i figure i would just keep the spare test pipe and if it happens it happens and ill worry about it then, idk thanks for your input i appreciate it..
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 PM
tylerxfire

i have to talk with berk monday and see what they say..i mean they must flow test both of them and can tell me exactly what i would need to know, i am basically just venting since i was tearing them off laying of the garage floor at 11:30 at night on a friday pissed off that it happened again
Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 PM
tylerxfire

yes removing is not that big of a deal but installing isnt much fun especially for me that doesnt have the correct tools and using a crappy jack and laying on the floor...ahhhh what a lift would be like and all the correct tools shame on me.. im using like 3 different bars to put on my ratchet for leverage a 16" wrench and a deep 14 socket
Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
mthreat

I had the same thing and I'm not even turbo - https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...f-use-n-a.html

I switched to kinetix resonated test pipes and my fear of rasp wasn't realized -- they sound as good as, or better than the HFCs.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
tylerxfire

well i am def. getting the test pipes they are already ordered and shipping out, its just a matter of if i really needed to switch out the other high flow cat or not, one will say yes and one will say no so i really need to hear it from berk who tests them i guess.. i didnt know how different they will flow from each other...but with the test pipes in i will most likely go with motordyne xyz y pipe with resonator to cut down on any rasp that might occur..these test pipes are non-resonated unlike the kinetix...
i would have went somewhere else but they refunded me my money for the high flows and gave me a deal on the test pipes and saved me a hassle of shopping around i guess and downtime
Old 06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds familiar. Had a similar problem with Kinetix high-flow catalytic converter. Failed inside, and rattled like a SOB. Went to Helix SS Test Pipes.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:10 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

nvm, i suggested the xyz-pipe without reading your post. If you get them, lets hear how much it helps. GL.

Last edited by BakaN20; 06-20-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 AM
singh

get the berk test pipes and if the rasp is really bothering you get the MD xyz-pipe with resonator.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 AM
tylerxfire

well i am cancelling my order on monday for the test pipes and the refund...i said screw it and just hollowed them out, so now i have berk resonated test pipes basically..

about to go put them back on the car now. we shall see how this sounds
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
singh

lol good way to improvise

not really resonated though, resonators are glass packs