Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 AM
bret f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

My Z is an 04, and I've had it for about 6 months. When I first got the clutch was very strong and it took me a while to get used to. I now expect it to grab pretty hard at the engagement point but lately (past few weeks) I noticed it seemed weaker/smoother

So all of a sudden yesterday I got in it and it wasn't driving well at all. I was having trouble taking off, it didn't seem to grab at all, and my gas mileage plummeted to 18.2 mpg. The car seemed slow and shitty yesterday and it started to smell like ***, kind of liked burned e-brake when I got out. Now today it's 1000x worse and I literally could not move one foot out of the driveway.

So I'm pretty sure it's the clutch, but I haven't talked to a mechanic yet

So I have a few questions...
Do you think I was single-handedly responsible for burning up the clutch, considering it was fine six months ago, or is this just a culmination of continual wear?

I've been told that while I'm at it I should replace the clutch with an aftermarket one. Will a better aftermarket clutch last longer, or will its strength just make wear quicker?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 AM
hellsoldiers08

hmm you may wanna make sure when you push in the clutch pedal that it is disengaging the clutch all the way. 2nd. like they say you get what you pay for. So it has the stock clutch currently correct?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
bret f

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
hmm you may wanna make sure when you push in the clutch pedal that it is disengaging the clutch all the way. 2nd. like they say you get what you pay for. So it has the stock clutch currently correct?
I'm guessing it is stock as the car is not modded as far as I know... but I can't say for sure

I think for a while I was pushing the clutch in poorly and I thought the shifter was too rough until I finally realized I wasn't pushing the pedal in all the way. I started sitting closer, with the wheel tilted up

I guess I'll be paying for that
Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How many miles?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:34 PM
bret f

Originally Posted by davidv
How many miles?
about 59,000
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
mistanismo

60k and admittance of potential bad driving habits definitely possible time for a new clutch, by your diagnosis of symptoms I'd say the exact same thing.. slipping.

If you want a stiffer feel and better grab, shift from stock.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely sounds like the clutch is toast, Esp after you mentioned the horrid smell

If you would like to upgrade to a more performance style clutch shoot me a PM and I can help you choose the correct clutch to fit your needs and driving style!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When replacing the clutch, always a good opportunity to upgrade the flywheel as clutch line as well. Let us know if you have any questions.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:18 PM
nismo1234

Default clutch

you still dident answer his question. whitch one lasts longer the stock clutch or the performance clutch
Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
bret f

Yeah

I know you get what you pay for but I also know that performance and reliability can be a major trade-off

Of course it depends on how you drive but in you guys' exp., which has a longer life?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:39 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nismo1234
you still dident answer his question. whitch one lasts longer the stock clutch or the performance clutch
Totally depends on the clutch material, Clutch style IE Puck or Full face street.

Puck style kits will have a shorter life span in general, Much less material on these kits due to the puck design, Advantages are quick shifts due to the lighter disk and a more direct feel.

Full face kits "stock style" last longer than pucks because they have much more material on the disk.
Smooth takes offs, Easy to drive, more forgiving.

SBC has many different clutch materials to choose from to fit just about anyone's wants and needs.

Organic (stock material) all thou there are many grades of Organic material overall this is a long wearing material with smooth stock like performance. Better, higher end organic material will last longer and perform better. DXD kits use only the best organic clutch materials.

Kevlar
DXD "TZ" kit
Kevlar is a great material for street use. Last 2-3 times longer than Organic, Holds more TQ and is super easy on its mating surfaces (flywheel) making it one of the longest lasting material used for clutches. Ultra smooth also, No chatter.

Ceramic, This material is mainly used on Puck style kits, Very aggressive in nature, great for drag racing, abuser friendly. Longevity is not its strong point

Feramic (no not Ceramic)
This material is used in both the DXD street full face kits and in the puck style kits. OFE, FE street kits and DXD-F (6 puck)
A bit more aggressive than organic and kevlar,
Last much longer than Organic, Kevlar or Ceramic, Drives smoother, Holds tons of TQ.
The full face street version "FE" of this kit will last a VERY VERY long time.
I ran this kit for over 2 years, Many hard miles at over 400WHP, Many trips down the 1/4 (at least 20 runs on slicks, not recommended on street kits and it showed almost 0 wear when I pulled it out to "test" one of DXD's other kits, Yes I have tested them all.....
Here are some pics of it after A LOT of abuse.
I measured the disk before install at .308"
If you can see the reading on the mics, The lowest I could get anywhere was .306"

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 01-18-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
bret f

Ok, I'm seriously considering your
"South Bend DXD TZ Clutch Kit" w/ kevlar

that was extremely helpful info, pretty much covered every base I was wondering about

If the mechanic tells me I need a new flywheel though I think I'll get a JWT combo
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

[qoute] If the mechanic tells me I need a new flywheel though I think I'll get a JWT combo[/QUOTE]

Check out the DXD Billet steel flywheel also Much more durable than a Aluminum inserted flywheel.

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 01-23-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bret f
about 59,000
THen its time for a new clutch. Ask the shop to keep the old clutch to show you why it failed.