Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

0 oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If your blood pressure went to -0- when you sat still.....
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM
SeansZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to take my car to the dealer 3 times to get this fixed! They said the psi was fine twice until I finally put a mechanical guage on and waited for the oil to get hot enough to get down to about 3psi. There are some gaskets on the rear side of the front cover that blow out. It is a common problem for the VQ line. Dont expect to get a new motor cause they wont do it. Take it in to the dealer and make sure they let the car run for an hour and then check the psi.

Last edited by SeansZ; 06-01-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 AM
dirtbikr

Originally Posted by SeansZ
I had to take my car to the dealer 3 times to get this fixed! They said the psi was fine twice until I finally put a mechanical guage on and waited for the oil to get hot enough to get down to about 3psi. There are some gaskets on the rear side of the front cover that blow out. It is a common problem for the VQ line. Dont expect to get a new motor cause they wont do it. Take it in to the dealer and make sure they let the car run for an hour and then check the psi.
Good info here, but I don't think it's a "common problem" in my opinion. I've been through a lot of these threads and haven't seen this issue before
Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well my 08 HR with 20,000 miles just started doing this.

I must admit I was playing around a little bit and the engine got pretty hot. Pulled up to a red light and oil pressure gauge indicates close to 0, and engine oil light flickered once.

Recently I switched to Redline 5w30...and ever since then my pressure has been a bit lower than before and I guess it was because REdline viscosity is a bit lower...requiring less pressure to flow.

For those that had this issue before...what was your resolution?

thanks?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW: On my last OC, I switched from Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 to Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. I've noticed my oil pressure is a little higher at cruising speed and at idle, even though the ambient temp was lower when I was running the Platinum.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 PM
dbrown

i read somewhere that there is a special oil that you have to run in the HR engines to find out about that too before you take it in.....
Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 AM
2fasst

I figure I update this post with my resolution should someone else run into this.

I brought it into the dealership and they replaced the oil pressure sending unit. Keep in mind that the oil pressure sending unit does NOT send oil, just the signal to the oil gauge. So if it goes out, like mine did in a short 20K miles, your engine is fine. btw, they replaced mine under warranty and I had a free car rental for the day to go get my massage while they worked on my car. they didn't pay for the massage, however.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fasst
I figure I update this post with my resolution should someone else run into this.

I brought it into the dealership and they replaced the oil pressure sending unit. Keep in mind that the oil pressure sending unit does NOT send oil, just the signal to the oil gauge. So if it goes out, like mine did in a short 20K miles, your engine is fine. btw, they replaced mine under warranty and I had a free car rental for the day to go get my massage while they worked on my car. they didn't pay for the massage, however.
removing the oil sending unit is a delicate process...........

I say at your next chance, jack up the car and inspect their work.......or the next time you go for an oil change, ask to go in the pic and look with a flash light...

look for this signature crack:

That enbossment is located on the passenger side, just forward of the oil filter.

Repair for the most part means upper pan replacement

yes, i have seen dealership minimum wage techs fug this up!

-J
Attached Thumbnails 0 oil pressure at idle-cracked-sender-1280.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-25-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
2fasst

OUCH! thanks!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
uglyduc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
removing the oil sending unit is a delicate process...........

I say at your next chance, jack up the car and inspect their work.......or the next time you go for an oil change, ask to go in the pic and look with a flash light...

look for this signature crack:

That enbossment is located on the passenger side, just forward of the oil filter.

Repair for the most part means upper pan replacement

yes, i have seen dealership minimum wage techs fug this up!

-J
Nice info J... I was just under there installing a 1/8npt T fitting to add a temp sensor and I noticed how tight of a turn it was just getting the first couple threads to bite into the block. I can see now what could happen if say the T fitting expands faster than the block or vertical force is applied. Now im worried... ha.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 PM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by 08carbonslvr
the pressure drops to 0 for just a moment and it doesnt happen all the time. seems to do it more when ive been driving a while and its really hot outside. noticed it once also when i was stopped on a fairly steep incline. should i put my car back to stock before i take it in? i have high flow cats and exhaust.
If you have not done so already, start keeping a record of your oil levels. Could be the draeded oil consumption.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xzotklr
If you have not done so already, start keeping a record of your oil levels. Could be the draeded oil consumption.
HR's dont generally have oil consumption problems. But on any engine its possible I suppose. You should keep an eye on your oil level in any car you own.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by uglyduc
Nice info J... I was just under there installing a 1/8npt T fitting to add a temp sensor and I noticed how tight of a turn it was just getting the first couple threads to bite into the block. I can see now what could happen if say the T fitting expands faster than the block or vertical force is applied. Now im worried... ha.
tee fitting im guessing for oil turbo feed im sure?

its a fine place to use so long as you use the FSM rtv or whatever it calls out. NOT teflon....teflon is for home...

dont over tighten it, just put it in to where it stops and give a 1/8 of a turn and done.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH THIS 0 PRESSURE ISSUE:

rather than remove the oem sensor and risk this crack issue to eliminate if its the sensor or not you can:

leave the sensor there, disconnect it from the harness and buy a new sensor.

buy a sandwich adapter for the oil filter with the correct sized port.

thread in the new oem sensor into the sandwich adapter and plug in the harness into that one.

physically you will have two sending units on the car, but one just hanging around for the ride.

at that point you can see if that was the problem..........and with a sandwich adapter you can now do aftermarket gauges off of it. Oil Pressue, digital oil temp - with gauges with alarms/alerts, etc.

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-25-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM
uglyduc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tee fitting im guessing for oil turbo feed im sure?
It's for a Defi oil temp sensor

NOT teflon....teflon is for home...
Used industrial soft set teflon paste not the tape..

Posted a thread on this here https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/4983...sor-on-hr.html starting with the problem of running a sensor from that point.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Richf

removed

Last edited by Richf; 12-09-2013 at 08:09 AM.