Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VDC OFF/SLIP lights constantly on

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cpatel529
Well I got my VDC OFF and SLIP lights to turn off. Got a ODCII computer hooked up to my car at my mechanic and we read that the steering angle sensor was reading way off! It was reading -417 deg when center and straight.. haha.

We readjusted the wheels to straight and spun the steering sensor until it was at 0. Put the steering back wheel back on, turned the car on and the lights were off my entire drive home.

Now I just need to get used to the SLIP effect when it turns on.

Chi
^^ So… Any idea/theory/guess why things went bad to begin with.

I understand your fix (I think ), but wondering if you have a sense of what initially caused the problem.

--Spike
Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
cpatel529

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ So… Any idea/theory/guess why things went bad to begin with.

I understand your fix (I think ), but wondering if you have a sense of what initially caused the problem.

--Spike
I bought the car with an aftermarket steering wheel. When it was originally installed, the wheels were left straight but the steering spring mechanism was spun. When the steering wheel hub was installed and the steering wheel was hooked up to it, the steering angle sensor was at a value other than 0.0 deg. Since the steering angle sensor position was not reset, it causes the ABS/VDC system to think that their is a large difference between to the wheel position (which is straight) and the sensor position (i.e. when the wheels are straight, you should be at approx 0 deg angle). This delta would cause the VDC OFF and SLIP lights to always stay on (assuming that everything else is ok).

When we re-positioned everything back to 0.0 deg and wheels straight and put back on the steering wheel, everything was back to what the computer expected.

Chirag
Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
BTehrani93

wow thanks alot guys i just experienced this problem with the lights staying on so i was hoping i had brake fluid, i find a little can of the stuff with about and ounce of fluid left so i dumped the rest in there and prayed, it worked!! the lights have never came back on.
thanks again guys
Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 AM
fuzzs

I got the VDC off and slip on light after a wheel alignment. The problem was corrected by doing a calibration of the steering angle sensor. I plugged in a code scanner in the OBD port and used it to do a calibration of the steering angle sensor.

That solved my problem