Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
gotmeaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my Z :( - video

so first let me start off by giving my car's info:

2004 350z
automatic tran
70,xxx miles
oil changed recently using conventional (switching to synthetic soon)
half a tank of gas at time of problem
full bolt ons - no tune.
(intake, plenum spacer, headers, test pipes, true dual exhaust)

recently got a ses and got 3 codes.
p1283 - A/F SENSOR 1 (B2)
p1273 - A/F SENSOR 1 (B1) Lean shift
p0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

So i was driving, everything was fine.. until i started to hear some weird "winding" noise when taking a turn.. idk how to describe it.. sounded like a supercharger, not really but something was definitely out of wack. so i got home, popped the hood while i left the car running and i could hear the noise even louder.. except now it was all the time, and not during a turn. so i was just standing there observing the noise and my car just turns off. i go to try to recrank it and it studders for a second then finally, barely starts and is shaking and sounds like ****. it sounded like a cammed 69 camaro (if you can catch my visualization, lol..), anyways a couple seconds after it finally started, it dies again. and wouldnt start. so because its freezing outside.. 28 degrees. we just put it in neutral and moved it to the side of the driveway until tomorrow.

what in the hell is wrong? ive never had a problem with this car, its been amazing until now. please any input is so greatly appreciated. i just want a smooth, fine running car. We replaced all the spark plugs and the problem still occurs. could it be the coil packs, or even worse, the timing chain? this is what it does now when I try to start it... WTF??

Lol sorry for th shitty quality and ignore my girl saying "stop" at the end haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jNtstceizY

Last edited by gotmeaZ; 11-21-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 PM
ambushphoto

When you changed the plugs what colour were they?
It's tough to hear exactly what is going on because of the quality of video, speakers on my computer etc. but it actually sounds like it's starved for fuel.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 PM
gotmeaZ

Originally Posted by ambushphoto
When you changed the plugs what colour were they?
It's tough to hear exactly what is going on because of the quality of video, speakers on my computer etc. but it actually sounds like it's starved for fuel.
They were white on one end and then looked really really brownish on the "screw" side. They looked awful. And no it had plenty of full.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM
ambushphoto

I don't mean it sounds like you're out of gas, I meant it sounds like the engine isn't getting fuel. But if your plugs are fouled it can be caused by all kinds of things. If they are a dark brown or black it can be caused by many things such as the engine running rich, oil from something like the piston rings being fried or yes your timing not being correct. You may want to take this one in to a mechanic for a compression test and check on your timing.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
gotmeaZ

I don't mean it sounds like you're out of gas, I meant it sounds like the engine isn't getting fuel. But if your plugs are fouled it can be caused by all kinds of things. If they are a dark brown or black it can be caused by many things such as the engine running rich, oil from something like the piston rings being fried or yes your timing not being correct. You may want to take this one in to a mechanic for a compression test and check on your timing.
Well running rich is out of the equation because I have no tune on full bolt ons.
But I'm gonna take it in tomorrow to have it looked at. I hope nothing too serious is wrong... I just wanna know what's causing that noise after I try to crank the car.

Yesterday I took out all 6 coil packs and looked at them and didn't see any sign of blistering, etc.

Last edited by gotmeaZ; 11-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
ambushphoto

Well you have test pipes so it's possible your o2 sensors are fouled which on most cars would make the ECU run lean and rich on different cycles because it doesn't know how to adjust the amount of fuel based on what the sensors are not reporting. I'm not 100% on what happens on a Z but some cars will even default to a fairly rich setting to protect the engine from detonation from running too lean when the o2 sensors are not functioning properly. Someone could jump in here for how the 350z ECU handles that situation. And if your car was tuned hopefully it wouldn't be running rich. That would be an awful tune.

Your misfire code on the 6th cylinder is most concerning. Misfires can have many causes, such as no fuel and compression issues.

A loss of compression in one cylinder would show symptoms similar to what you have described in the minutes leading up to your car dying and not being able to start again. What confuses me is why the noise started happening while you were turning. That is odd.

Check to make sure you have enough oil real quick too.

Last edited by ambushphoto; 11-21-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM
gotmeaZ

Well you have test pipes so it's possible your o2 sensors are fouled which on most cars would make the ECU run lean and rich on different cycles because it doesn't know how to adjust the amount of fuel based on what the sensors are not reporting. I'm not 100% on what happens on a Z but some cars will even default to a fairly rich setting to protect the engine from detonation from running too lean when the o2 sensors are not functioning properly. Someone could jump in here for how the 350z ECU handles that situation. And if your car was tuned hopefully it wouldn't be running rich. That would be an awful tune.

Your misfire code on the 6th cylinder is most concerning. Misfires can have many causes, such as no fuel and compression issues.

A loss of compression in one cylinder would show symptoms similar to what you have described in the minutes leading up to your car dying and not being able to start again. What confuses me is why the noise started happening while you were turning. That is odd.

Check to make sure you have enough oil real quick too.
Checked oil and I'd guess I have another 1000 miles. It just got changed not even a month and a half ago.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 AM
gotmeaZ

Bump can some others please chime in
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 AM
lowandsteezy

Fuel pump? I know it wouldnt make a noise like you explain, but it dien then trying to start it back up and it barely starts sounds like a bad fuel pump. I would check and see if you here it come on.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 AM
gotmeaZ

Originally Posted by lowandsteezy
Fuel pump? I know it wouldnt make a noise like you explain, but it dien then trying to start it back up and it barely starts sounds like a bad fuel pump. I would check and see if you here it come on.
Wgat kind of noise should I be listening for?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A coil pack could be bad even if it looks fine, but one dead cylinder will not cause all those problems. As per your thread in the other forum, I still think you have a vacuum leak - either on the plenum, which would cause a whistling sound when running, or maybe one of the larger hoses running to the intake tube or something. Or, the MAF connector or the MAF sensor itself.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 AM
gotmeaZ

Originally Posted by PerfZ
A coil pack could be bad even if it looks fine, but one dead cylinder will not cause all those problems. As per your thread in the other forum, I still think you have a vacuum leak - either on the plenum, which would cause a whistling sound when running, or maybe one of the larger hoses running to the intake tube or something. Or, the MAF connector or the MAF sensor itself.
Even if a coil pack were out, even 2 or 3... Would it really cause the car to not start? And I can't tell you how many times I've checked for leaks, and found none.
Any possibility that failing cam position sensors, crank shaft sensors, o2 sensors.. could cause this?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM
iJacob

Originally Posted by gotmeaZ
Even if a coil pack were out, even 2 or 3... Would it really cause the car to not start? And I can't tell you how many times I've checked for leaks, and found none.
Any possibility that failing cam position sensors, crank shaft sensors, o2 sensors.. could cause this?
Imo file pump or coil. Is what it sounds like.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
iJacob

Originally Posted by iJacob
Fuel*
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Trigo_

could be injectors , plugs , coils , did you replace the spark plugs yourself? if so did you torque them to spec
Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 PM
gotmeaZ

Originally Posted by iJacob
What would cause the fuel pump to fail?

Originally Posted by Trigo_
could be injectors , plugs , coils , did you replace the spark plugs yourself? if so did you torque them to spec
Yes spark plugs are fine. What would cause injectors to fail?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Trigo_

I was saying injectors because my old 03 G35 had a similar problem and we replaced the injectors , and crank position sensor bank 1 and 2 which solved the problem for me

best of luck with your repairs
Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM
espadinha4

where did u get ur ses done like what kind of places would do them besides the nissan "stealership"

Originally Posted by gotmeaZ
so first let me start off by giving my car's info:

2004 350z
automatic tran
70,xxx miles
oil changed recently using conventional (switching to synthetic soon)
half a tank of gas at time of problem
full bolt ons - no tune.
(intake, plenum spacer, headers, test pipes, true dual exhaust)

recently got a ses and got 3 codes.
p1283 - A/F SENSOR 1 (B2)
p1273 - A/F SENSOR 1 (B1) Lean shift
p0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

So i was driving, everything was fine.. until i started to hear some weird "winding" noise when taking a turn.. idk how to describe it.. sounded like a supercharger, not really but something was definitely out of wack. so i got home, popped the hood while i left the car running and i could hear the noise even louder.. except now it was all the time, and not during a turn. so i was just standing there observing the noise and my car just turns off. i go to try to recrank it and it studders for a second then finally, barely starts and is shaking and sounds like ****. it sounded like a cammed 69 camaro (if you can catch my visualization, lol..), anyways a couple seconds after it finally started, it dies again. and wouldnt start. so because its freezing outside.. 28 degrees. we just put it in neutral and moved it to the side of the driveway until tomorrow.

what in the hell is wrong? ive never had a problem with this car, its been amazing until now. please any input is so greatly appreciated. i just want a smooth, fine running car. We replaced all the spark plugs and the problem still occurs. could it be the coil packs, or even worse, the timing chain? this is what it does now when I try to start it... WTF??

Lol sorry for th shitty quality and ignore my girl saying "stop" at the end haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jNtstceizY
Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
gotmeaZ

Originally Posted by espadinha4
where did u get ur ses done like what kind of places would do them besides the nissan "stealership"
Autozone, advanced auto, o reilleys, just about any mechanic and yes the stealership.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 AM
espadinha4

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.