Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch & Flywheel issue? Revs drop and revs slow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 PM
michaelsevilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch & Flywheel issue? Revs drop and revs slow?

Omfg, I really hate posting new threads and try to avoid it at all costs because GOOGLE was invented. But this is it, I can't take it anymore and I'm about to stab a kitten with a knife.

Here's the issue.

I drive a 2006 MT 350z. About 52000 on the odometer the clutch needed changing. Before than the car ran like a champ after the change is where my problems began.

I purchased a z1 clutch and flywheel combo. this one-
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2405

Well you figure, "awesome! I'm about to feel a difference, got a new flywheel bro... hell yeah!! about to start tearing **** up." And than start getting that tingly fast and the fictionous feeling inside. Right? WRONG. It might of been the shitty shop I took it to. Apparently, I had to 3 way z1 motorsports because they were curious about how the flywheel went because of "teeth" or someshit. Long story short they installed the clutch and flywheel and I drove it for about thousand miles gracefully to break it in. Well afterwards I had a few 350z buddys jump in my car and drive it. Apparently it felt "sluggish" Like the Rpms would hesitate to get up when you rev the car in neutral. No not a vacuume leak. When we would shift up the rpms would bog down, almost go to low in the power band to where it would need to "go up" in the rpm to reach power again. Like it takes a second to grab? My friend has the same z with a Spec stage 1 clutch in it and an ebay flywheel and his **** hauls *** on low-mid range compared to mine. It's truly hard to explain it, but I will take a vid of it tomorrow as me and him will bleed the clutch line tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem. It's almost like the clutch is slipping. HE thinks my clutch is slipping, I personally think thats impossible considering that I bought my **** new from z1. Than again, at times ebay is better than z1. So-

My question is this-

Could the issue of the clutch AND flywheel not "properly" installed cause my rpms to have a hard time reving? It's not THAT sluggish to where I'm like "OMFG MY CAR SUCKS" but it's definately noticeable because after a clutch and flywheel setup my car didn't seem to get faster at all, it feels more sluggish and the rpm tact spudders when shifting.

My vid tomorrow should help but I'm so annoyed I may try it in a few just to get as much light on this situation to you guys as possible. I apologize if a lot of the stuff doesn't make sence, it's truly something you guys would have to drive/see to understand it completely if you don't already have an idea of what is going on.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 AM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

This issue is from installer error. You need to go back and have them install the flywheel in the correct position due to timing being off.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 AM
michaelsevilla

But if the timing was off, wouldn't the car not go at all?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, if timing is off, the car will still go, but will go like crap, like you're noticing. Def sounds like a bad install.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 AM
La_Fiebre

Take it back to the shop!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 AM
drivessidewayz

There are two options for how the teeth are lined up on the flywheel. There is a guiding peg somewhere on the crank (I think; can't quite remember exactly) and while one of the options is for rear(z) another is for front (altima).
Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John@z1
This issue is from installer error. You need to go back and have them install the flywheel in the correct position due to timing being off.
Name:  flywheel01252012.jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  104.2 KB
That would be my first guess. Your mechanic should know about aligning the dowel pin and dowel pin hole. Maybe he did maybe he didn't.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
michaelsevilla

Ok so let's say it IS the flywheel installation. Ok cool completely and totally possible. If these jackasses would need to reinstall it, would they need to resurface it?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
drivessidewayz

^^ Shouldn't need to given they didn't screw anything else up.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Assuming that the clutch hasn't been slipping the whole time, and you haven't been "riding" the clutch, you'll be ok without resurfacing it.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM
agunter33

in the picture above i see the rear main seal. should i swap that as well if im doing a clutch and flywheel job?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by agunter33
in the picture above i see the rear main seal. should i swap that as well if im doing a clutch and flywheel job?
Do NOT replace the rear main seal. You need to have the motor out to properly insert that seal in a 350Z. At least this is what I have read here.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:54 PM
agunter33

ok cool, i figured if it was easy id just do it then, but nevermind.