Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

High idle, wont stall, revs by itself, HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 PM
RID3R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle, wont stall, revs by itself, HELP!!!!

I dont use forums so sorry if im posting incorrectly but i need help. I have searched for weeks already, dead serious, even asked known mechanics, cant figure out what the heck is wrong with my car. My car idles at 1400-1600 fully warmed up and wont go lower, i cant seam to stall the car, put it in gear and it starts driving as if its an auto. some times it will rev up by its self and drop back down other times it starts picking up revs and wont drop, if i step on the clutch the revs go up by about 100 or so then down when i let the clutch go.

What i have done: I have tried all the resets and relearns nothings working. There is NO CHECK ENGINE light. I have checked for vacuum leaks cant seam to find anything. Tried spraying engine starting fluid also and nothing. Im guessing the throttle body is out of whack. I did clean it and move the butterfly valve so maybe its from that but not sure again.

I have installed a plenum spacer and headers with hfc's and full exhuast and cold air intake. The car was doing this before the mods and still is after. Want to see why its doing that before i get a tune.

If anyone has had this and fixed it please let me know. and please no internet warriors
Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 PM
3oh5z

wow, talk about a terrible shituation dude. sorry to hear about ur troubles. SOMEONE HELP THIS GUY!!! lol
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Humble_Z

You said you cleaned the TB right?...so there is your problem, your TB is probably bad, you dont supposed to touch the butterfly, try disconnecting the battery overnight, GL
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RID3R
I dont use forums so sorry if im posting incorrectly but i need help. I have searched for weeks already, dead serious, even asked known mechanics, cant figure out what the heck is wrong with my car. My car idles at 1400-1600 fully warmed up and wont go lower, i cant seam to stall the car, put it in gear and it starts driving as if its an auto. some times it will rev up by its self and drop back down other times it starts picking up revs and wont drop, if i step on the clutch the revs go up by about 100 or so then down when i let the clutch go.

What i have done: I have tried all the resets and relearns nothings working. There is NO CHECK ENGINE light. I have checked for vacuum leaks cant seam to find anything. Tried spraying engine starting fluid also and nothing. Im guessing the throttle body is out of whack. I did clean it and move the butterfly valve so maybe its from that but not sure again.

I have installed a plenum spacer and headers with hfc's and full exhuast and cold air intake. The car was doing this before the mods and still is after. Want to see why its doing that before i get a tune.

If anyone has had this and fixed it please let me know. and please no internet warriors
^^^ Never touch it. Especially if you still had the battery connected.

If this https://my350z.com/forum/6008226-post2.html doesn't fix the problem, then you've likely screwed up the actuator and need to replace the throttle body.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

I dont get how the TB is so sensitive. All it is is a motor and potentiometer. I took mine completely apart, powdercoated it and reinstalled it. Started up, no problems.

I have had the ignition on and moved the TB to see the voltage output of the pot in my haltech dash. Cranked right up.

The only thing I can think of is if the butterfly valve was out of position when the ECU was awoken to start the car and it captured the Low input for closed TB when the TB was open. But the spring return on the butterfly is stout.

How did you clean it?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
RID3R

Thanks guys im guessing i messed it up to. Didnt know the first time i took it apart. Oh and i did disconnect the battery and left it for 3 weeks yes 3 while it was pouring rain here. I talked to 2 mechanics and they said the throttle body is out of whack. Gonna try to do ever reset again hope it works.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:10 PM
350XTCz

Probably your throttle body, but did you try cleaning your maf? My car idled a ton smoother after cleaning it with some maf cleaner. When you cleaned your throttle body, did you clean the hose connected to the back? I took mine off and ran some cleaner stuff through it when I did mine. Are all of your hoses connected to the throttle body? Maybe you left the one underneath off?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 PM
RID3R

Ya i cleaned the maf and mines an 06 so i only have the one plug going to it, no hoses in the back. I connected everything and double checked find nothing unconnected.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
RID3R

So i changed the throttle body and did the reset and nothing. I still got the same problem. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 AM
Stolly08

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever figure out the issue?