Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Raiders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

I just purchased my first Z back in June 2912. It is a 2008 Grand Touring now with about 38k miles. I just went to get the oil changed today, and was told by the Nissan dealer that my front pads needed replacing. Was also told that I could not just put pads on. They told me that every time the pads wore down that the rotors had to be replaced as well..$1700! That does not sound right to me. Any thoughts? If I can just put pads on, any recommendations or special procedures to ensure they wear correctly. I am not a gear head, and don't have the tools, experience, space to DIY right now. I am a little scared of messing something up, so I will probably have to take to someone.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Raiders
I just purchased my first Z back in June 2912. It is a 2008 Grand Touring now with about 38k miles. I just went to get the oil changed today, and was told by the Nissan dealer that my front pads needed replacing. Was also told that I could not just put pads on. They told me that every time the pads wore down that the rotors had to be replaced as well..$1700! That does not sound right to me. Any thoughts?
Welcome and congratulations. Let us know what it's like in the future.

On a more serious note. It really depends on the driver, but you don't always need to change the rotors each time you change pads. Just depends when the last pads and rotors when on (also the pad/rotor combination). Being a new owner, you probably have no way of knowing that. Really comes down to how much meat is left on the rotors. If the rotors are scored, you can have them skimmed if sufficient meat on them.

Also if you're not sure with doing the mechanical side of things, either get a friend who is, or take it to a professional. Brakes aren't something you want not to work.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Anytime someone brings a car to the dealer they have sucker on there forehead. The service manager is looking for a nice bonus.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased my first Z back in June 2912. It is a 2008 Grand Touring now with about 38k miles. I just went to get the oil changed today, and was told by the Nissan dealer that my front pads needed replacing. Was also told that I could not just put pads on. They told me that every time the pads wore down that the rotors had to be replaced as well..$1700! That does not sound right to me. Any thoughts? If I can just put pads on, any recommendations or special procedures to ensure they wear correctly. I am not a gear head, and don't have the tools, experience, space to DIY right now. I am a little scared of messing something up, so I will probably have to take to someone.
Put new pads on...you'll be fine.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Raiders

That is funny..yes I had my date wrong. No flux capacitor in my Z yet! I definitely do have sucker written on my forehead. I am trying to wipe it off. Any specific type of pad I should ask for? Thanks a ton!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Raiders

I should ask as well, what is the micrometer reading that they should show me that would indicate the rotors are at the point of needing to be replaced? The ridge on mine isn't as pronounced as some other friends with BMWs and Mercedes in our parking lot.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Raiders

As i mentioned previously, I purchased my Z used with 27k miles. It is listed as a grand touring, and I was told that it had brembo brakes. they don't say brembo anywhere I can see, and someone just told me they may be just painted and not really brembo. Can anyone tell from the pics?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Raiders

These are what I am thinking of buying: http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35/product_info.php?products_id=4165{100}918

Yay or nay?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 PM
supraturboman

As i mentioned previously, I purchased my Z used with 27k miles. It is listed as a grand touring, and I was told that it had brembo brakes. they don't say brembo anywhere I can see, and someone just told me they may be just painted and not really brembo. Can anyone tell from the pics?
If you want to sell me the calipers and rotors you have I will gladly buy them.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I don't know dude , the rubber bleeder cap covers usually are painted from the factory. It doesn't look al all that som kid wanted red Brembo calipers.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Suwaidi

They look about the right size and characteristics of the brembo caliper. Here's a picture for comparison:

http://upload.z1motorsports.com/Z124...perListing.jpg

On a side note, don't bother going to a dealership for anything else other than warranty issues (you have a 5 year Powertrain warranty that covers the engine, transmission and the airbag system too).

R/T Tuning (RTTuning.com) has a StopTech Bundle going for $525 (pads + rotors). Don't trust stealership prices.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 09-29-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Raiders

Thank you so much for the feedback. Now the only question I think I have to get resolved before making a move is to determine if I have to replace the rotors now or if I can just put pads on.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Raiders

I asked the repair shop to measure and show me the caliper measurements, and they were still in spec. I had them put new stop tech pads on today, and so far so good. Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 PM
PeterPotatoes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked the repair shop to measure and show me the caliper measurements, and they were still in spec. I had them put new stop tech pads on today, and so far so good. Thanks for everyone's feedback.
This is step one for them to ask to replace the rotors. I have never seen a OEM nissan pad go before 38K, let a lone a rotor. I would have to be raced, not normal driving. Front rotor is 1.18'' rear is .087 with brembos.

I think the shop you first took it to is full of ****.