Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bleeding brakes in a 350Z...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bleeding brakes in a 350Z...

was unlike any car I have ever bled before. I installed new pads and rotors and while I was at it I took the calipers off, degreased them, scrubbed them until no more dirt would come off and did 3 light coats of silver Dupli-color caliper paint to restore a new oem look to them. Reinstalled everything and did a fluid flush. Well the old fluid was burnt up, brown and just flat out nasty with 123k miles on it! Bled the brakes until all the lines ran with fresh, clean and air free fluid. Buttoned everything up and put her down on the ground to find out I had no damn brakes when I backed out of the garage! Petal went right down to the floor.

I was beyond frustrated! Put her back up on stands and a friend suggested to rent a power bleeder at Advance auto. So I got back home and put the bleeder on to find that it was pulling a lot of air out of the lines (so I thought). I sat for 30 mins hand pumping and air still coming out while I kept replacing fluid in the reservoir.

Long story short I found that air was leaking into the system around the bleeder screws! I took some thread tape and sealed up the bleeder screws, bled the system again per the service manual for an 05 and I'll be damned if that wasn't the problem!. Brakes pumped up and work flawlessly.

So pretty much if anyone finds this thread and may be having the same issues this may work for you. I hope when I get the Akebono kit I wont have to deal with such a headache.

Here's a pic of the results (yes I know the squealer is installed upside down, I fixed it after noticing it lol!).

Bleeding brakes in a 350Z...-3evevki.jpg
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
K51

Looks nice! Do yourself a huge favor and buy/borrow a Motive Products pressure bleeder. Takes maybe 10 minutes to flush/bleed all 4 calipers, with no help, and your pedal will feel like it's bolted to the frame.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

You also need to order the proper adapter for the Nissan brake MC.

Sounds like you used a vacuum bleeder, not a pressure bleeder, and the former truly suck (pun intended), for the reason you mentioned. A pressure bleeder is the only way to go.

Last edited by K51; 04-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
STL 350Z

Thanks!

I did some research last night on the issue and saw people were using the Motive bleeder and you are correct I was using a vacuum bleeder and I just wanted to throw it out in the road. Complete trash...

I will have to get one here soon because I feel as though the petal could be more firm.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 PM
K51

At least it got you back on the road. Nice try with the Teflon tape, though. I remember I tried the same trick with Speed Bleeders when the first came out.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Old 04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
STL 350Z

What adapter do I need?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You shouldn't need teflon tape on bleeders, they don't seal on the threads but on the flare on the tip instead. Probably had some paint/crap stuck in there and when you removed them again it got washed out.

Either way, glad you got it handled, end result looks great.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
K51

I don't recall the part number, but the guys at Motive know. If I recall, it is the one which also fits Fords! Also, it's a little tricky to clip on the mc reservoir, but after the first time it's not bad. 5 to 7 psi is all the pressure you need, don't pump it up to 15 psi as some say.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM
K51

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
You shouldn't need teflon tape on bleeders, they don't seal on the threads but on the flare on the tip instead. Probably had some paint/crap stuck in there and when you removed them again it got washed out.

Either way, glad you got it handled, end result looks great.
With a vac bleeder you need tape because air leaks past the threads when the bleeder is open, which is why those sh!tty speed bleeders have a sealing compound on their threads. You are correct that when closed the flare seals the system.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by K51
With a vac bleeder you need tape because air leaks past the threads when the bleeder is open, which is why those sh!tty speed bleeders have a sealing compound on their threads. You are correct that when closed the flare seals the system.
While reading the instructions to the vac bleeder a little bit ago it stated to take out the bleeder screws and appy grease on the threads to prevent air getting in the system. I never even seen that when reading the instructions to begin with.

I think I saw the Ford/Import Motive bleeder on their site for around $60'ish