Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VDC & SLIP after Clockspring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 AM
BlizagaXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC & SLIP after Clockspring replacement

2003 350Z Touring 6MT

Hey guys. Long story short, I removed my steering wheel to take the trim off, accidentally damaged the clockspring (came off with steering wheel, oops) and the VDC Off & SLIP lights came on. Occasionally ABS & Brake as well. This only started happening last week after I already knew I damaged the clockspring, so it's nothing else. After I inspected the clock spring, the ribbon cable was damaged.

So I bought a used clockspring (verified working from the seller on eBay, some junk yard) and installed it yesterday. I did not drive it, but I did verify after turning the wheel to the far left the light turned on after I installed the "New" used clockspring. This morning, same thing happens. I'm about 99% sure it's installed correctly as I double checked everything, and every harness is plugged in.

And now a new problem after the install. When the blower motor is in the off position, it is still on. I can hit the AC button in the "off" position and it goes on. This only happened after I installed the clockspring last night.

Doing some reading, I saw some people needed to go to Nissan to have them reprogram the ECU & check the output of some sensors. I don't know if any of that is true, or just stupid people trying to understand dealer talk.

My question is if anyone has had this issue, or can add anything I might check.

List of things removed when this happened:
Negative battery terminal (first)
Drivers Air bag (harnesses reconnected)
steering wheel (one harness, one ground)
Gauge Cluster & Harnesses
Upper and Lower steering trim, & key ring trim
Steering lower kick panel
clockspring assembly (with wiper & light stalks, wiring disconnected)
Bosch Braking unit attached to clockspring (switched to new clockspring)

I have verified that the VDC switch harness on the kick panel IS connected. the new clockspring was ziptied when shipped, and I did NOT spin it at all, it appears to move freely & correct when the steering wheel is on. The clockspring is from a 2004 Z, and all harnesses were the same.

The airbag light is not on (good).
The Check Engine Light is not on (Tried erasing codes anyways)
VDC Button has no function (VDC & SLIP lights on)
Haven't checked fuses yet (I will after work)

As much as I love my car, it really gives me some reasons to want to sell it.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 AM
BlizagaXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just adding more as I find more info. Maybe this can at least help someone else some day

Just talked to Eli from Project X Customs. He thinks the clockspring may have been clocked at the wrong position (360 degrees off in either direction), and is going to plug his scanner into my car on Monday.

He said there is a steering wheel position sensor that checks your steering position at all times, and basically if the donor Z's steering wheel was turned to the left or right when they took the part off, the sensor is reading that I'm in a constant turn while driving. If this is the actual problem, hopefully I can fix it by spinning it around one time and call it a day.

As far as the blower problem, apparently there are no wires running near or with the steering column wiring. So even though the timing is the same, it's unrelated-ish. I'm guessing maybe the old ribbon cable in the clock spring tearing may have shorted against something & blew a fuse or relay somewhere.