Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Random engine shut off

Old 07-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Neeko94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Random engine shut off

So I need a quick answer to this problem.

Saturday I was going out for a drive, my gas light was on, so I went to fill up.
Drove about 30 miles to pick up a friend. while going through streets. I stop at a stop sign...Brake, clutch in. the normal procedure. then when I start to press the gas...nothing. I look at my RPMs and the car is at 0.
Restart it, fine. and continue. this happened about 3-4 times in the span of 1 mile of stop signs and turns. then finally pick up my friend...Dies again.
Make it to the freeway and everything is fine for about another 20 or so miles until we hit traffic and i come to a stop....and again dies.
then I looked up for the closest autozone to buy some fuel injector cleaner. dumped that in the tank. thinking that there was some trash at the bottomn of my tank that got mixed up in the lines when filling it up after being on empty.
the past week was fine, running good, no problems,nothing.
Until about 20 minutes ago this wednesday night.
same thing. normal braking for a light....look down and dead.

I have a big cruise comming this sunday. and I missed last years and really want to make it this year. but dont really want to if the car is going to be acting up.

When it dies, the car doesnt shake or stutter like a rough idle or anything. just simply kills itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 AM
logan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel filter?

I never let any of my cars go below 1/4 tank.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuel pump may be dying...not difficult to swap the pump out, but it's hard to diagnose since its intermittent...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Neeko94

Originally Posted by 350z006
Fuel pump may be dying...not difficult to swap the pump out, but it's hard to diagnose since its intermittent...
I found this article
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...n-03-350z.html
and it didnt seem to be the same thing.

**I also have a 1 month old battery so that eliminates something
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Neeko94

I need some solutions guys.
I really dont want to drive and god forbid it dies and the steering wheel locks if Im not paying attention!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The steering wheel isn't going to lock unless you remove the ignition key, although when the engine isn't running you don't have any power steering assist. You can certainly steer a moving car w/o power steering.

I know very little about the Z's engine management system, but I might suggest looking for a bad TPS or AFM, or some loose electrical connection in the engine bay. If it only happens at low revs, I don't see how that would indicate a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel system, as those issues would be worse at high fuel demand. Any CEL codes you can read?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Neeko94

Originally Posted by dcains
The steering wheel isn't going to lock unless you remove the ignition key, although when the engine isn't running you don't have any power steering assist. You can certainly steer a moving car w/o power steering.

I know very little about the Z's engine management system, but I might suggest looking for a bad TPS or AFM, or some loose electrical connection in the engine bay. If it only happens at low revs, I don't see how that would indicate a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel system, as those issues would be worse at high fuel demand. Any CEL codes you can read?
Thats the funny thing...no CEL(s) at all, not even when it happens.
Kinda sketchy
Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM
JonnyZCar

I'm having the same problem (besides a hesitation at 3000rpm). I have tuning issues.

If I'm cruising at 50MPH and let off gas, push in the clutch, it dies....most of the time. This didn't start happening until recently though and probably isn't related to my hesitation problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Neeko94

Originally Posted by JonnyZCar
I'm having the same problem (besides a hesitation at 3000rpm). I have tuning issues.

If I'm cruising at 50MPH and let off gas, push in the clutch, it dies....most of the time. This didn't start happening until recently though and probably isn't related to my hesitation problem.
Have you found any solutions?!
Have you tried anything at all
Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
JonnyZCar

Not yet. I'm going to have the car tuned locally by a pro shop but I have to buy a bunch of crap for that.

MY short term fix is to put the car in open loop, but I don't know how to do that. I've asked in another thread. So when I find out I'll do that since the car runs fine when it's cold (open loop mode).

I'll let you know if I find the actual problem. I suspect my TPS, but I don't know for sure yet.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Neeko94

Originally Posted by JonnyZCar
Not yet. I'm going to have the car tuned locally by a pro shop but I have to buy a bunch of crap for that.

MY short term fix is to put the car in open loop, but I don't know how to do that. I've asked in another thread. So when I find out I'll do that since the car runs fine when it's cold (open loop mode).

I'll let you know if I find the actual problem. I suspect my TPS, but I don't know for sure yet.
I was going to try and reset/reflash my ecu to see if that would help anything.
But let me know how it goes!