Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Over heating issue need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Sleepy350Zzzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating issue need HELP!

My car was over heating I replaced the rad (turns out it had a crack at the top of it) and it is still over heating the fans are properly working and the thermostat was replaced less than a year ago. I thought that I might have air in my system so I tried to bleed it. I opened the rad cap and removed the bleeder screw. I turned the car on and turned the heat on blast. Only cold air was blowing out even at the point of the car running hot. The coolant then started to over flow out of the top of the radiator. The bottom radiator hose was cold when the car was overheating. A friend suggested that the thermostat might be bad again. Any suggestions on what might be the issue?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 AM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you use an oem thermostat ? And yea they can be defected as I found out the hard way . I suggest taking it out ,boil a pot of water and drop the thermostat in there and see if th spring moves to know if that was the case . Ofcorse have a new one handy incase it needs to be replaced . Report back and let us know what happens
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Sleepy350Zzzz

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Did you use an oem thermostat ? And yea they can be defected as I found out the hard way . I suggest taking it out ,boil a pot of water and drop the thermostat in there and see if th spring moves to know if that was the case . Ofcorse have a new one handy incase it needs to be replaced . Report back and let us know what happens

Thanks for the reply. The thermostat I installed was purchased from Autozone. My next step is to take it out and do the stove test and see if the thermostat is the issue. Does anyone know if the bottom hose is supposed to be cold when the car is running hot?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM
NOLAGG

There's your mistake bro , get a nissan thermostat . And yes when the thermostat isn't opening that's what happens .
Old 12-17-2013, 10:02 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 thats the prob. Both hoses are suppose to be hot
Old 12-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Sleepy350Zzzz

I tested the thermostat and it's opening. When bleeding the system is it common for the fluid to pour out of the radiator cap? I'm wondering if maybe I need to continue to try that avenue as it's not the radiator, fans, or thermostat.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 PM
NOLAGG

Would still most def throw a nissan thermostat in there . How are you bleeding the system exactly ?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 AM
Sleepy350Zzzz

Would still most def throw a nissan thermostat in there . How are you bleeding the system exactly ?
I took off the rad cap and the bleeder screw. Started the car up and turned on the heat to full blast using the vent that shoots air on your face. The air that came out was cold the entire time even at the point of the car running hot. I could see that the coolant level would raise and lower and then it just started to pour out of the rad cap area. I turned the car off let it cool down repeated the process and for a second time the coolant was over flowing out of the rad cap.

Am I bleeding the system incorrectly?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:57 AM
NOLAGG

http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos...amco.howto.htm

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/356151-coolant-purge-nightmare.html

There's 2 links that should help read threw both. Also I repeat do not use an autozone thermostat !
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Sleepy350Zzzz

http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos...amco.howto.htm

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356151

There's 2 links that should help read threw both. Also I repeat do not use an autozone thermostat !

Thank you soooo much for the help. The second link was very helpful in understanding the process to bleed the system. I'm going to give this one a try again. I am optimistic that this is the issue and this process will cure my over heating issue. I will keep you guys posted on the progress.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM
NOLAGG

Sounds good let us know what happens
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Mileage? Maybe it's time for a new water pump.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 AM
tomdicaraus

Overheating problem occurs due to various reasons like coolant level is low, leak in the engine cooling system, thermostat is bad, water pump is failing, radiator cooling fan is not working, blown head gasket. As you said you replaced the rad but problem still exist. so now you must have to take your car to an expert for proper diagnoses because it is a serious problem. you should visit to a good auto repair shop. I suggest you a best auto repair shop i.e. Transmission Experts, they are really helpful. Transmission Experts also offers a wide range of auto repair services also including Transmission rebuilding, Radiators, Drive shaft repair, Breaks, shocks, alignment, suspension etc.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomdicaraus
Overheating problem occurs due to various reasons like coolant level is low, leak in the engine cooling system, thermostat is bad, water pump is failing, radiator cooling fan is not working, blown head gasket. As you said you replaced the rad but problem still exist. so now you must have to take your car to an expert for proper diagnoses because it is a serious problem. you should visit to a good auto repair shop. I suggest you a best auto repair shop i.e. Transmission Experts, they are really helpful. Transmission Experts also offers a wide range of auto repair services also including Transmission rebuilding, Radiators, Drive shaft repair, Breaks, shocks, alignment, suspension etc.
i like how this ads tells the OP to drive from florida to georgia to fix the overheating problem
Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 PM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by Osborn Wu
i like how this ads tells the OP to drive from florida to georgia to fix the overheating problem
Yea most likely spam