Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 350z overheat

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM
2003350z099

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2003 350z overheat

So I never used a forum and I don't know where to post things but here we go.

I was driving in traffic after I had just put gas, I was going about 10-15 mph and would stop moderately do to the traffic. When all out of sudden I see a lot of smoke coming out of the hood, I look at the temperature gauge and it had sky rocketed to hot. I pulled over and turned off the car, poped the hood and looked around. I saw a small amount of radiator water on top of the radiator, not much but around 3 teaspoons. The hoses looked fine, the water tank was filled where it had to be,the fans would turn on when the car was only running, not just turning the key to the (on) position, I don't know if it should be like that or not I never noticed. So I let the car cool for about 15 minutes and gave it another start, again the car overheated and I turned it off. I then checked the water tank and it was dry, looked underneath the and saw a bit around the tank but i don't know if it was there before or after I had started the car the second time. I put a code scanner to it from autoparts and I got the code p1217, and also u1000. Please give me some help I'm so lost mechanically, and where I live the mechanics charge you and arm, a leg, and a eye. Also I did buy more radiator fluid and filled her up again.

Anyone

Last edited by SR71; 05-26-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Have you pressure tested your radiator cap? If it no longer seals properly, you will have regular leakage of radiator fluid and subsequent overheating. Whatever problem/solution you find, be sure to post here and let everybody else learn from your experience.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Landon_G03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With radiator caps being so cheap, I'd go ahead and replace it and do a full coolant flush. You can buy "Leslie funnels" (I think) on amazon for around 20 bucks and it will help tremendously. If you have never done it before, there are some good how tp's on here. Anyway, if you get your coolant flushed correctly and it still overheats, check your thermostat out. I'm sure there is a how to for that as well
Old 05-27-2014, 04:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

my buddy just had the same thing happen to him, cap was shot. get like a koyo one or something, approx $25, and flush
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM
2003350z099

Well yesterday I didn't want to open up the radiator cap because I was scared it would pop off lol, so this morning I went and opened it (when it was cool) and there was no fluid in the radiator. But there was fluid in the coolant tank, I called a friend of mine who is a mechanic to come check it out, we'll see what it is. I'll post more feedback when he checks it out, I'm guessing water pump is gone bad :'( or maybe the system is clogged up....
Old 05-27-2014, 12:33 PM
2003350z099

Quick question, sense I guess the water isn't running to the radiator and it's dry, can I add coolant directly to it through the radiator cap? And then try running it to my mechanic, cuz otherwise I can't even drive a quarter mile without it overheating..
Old 05-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Landon_G03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. It is perfectly okay to put coolant or distilled water in your radiator through the hole that the radiator cap plugs.. Do it when the car is cold and open the bleeder screw at the back of the engine bay while filling.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:20 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 2003350z099
Well yesterday I didn't want to open up the radiator cap because I was scared it would pop off lol, so this morning I went and opened it (when it was cool) and there was no fluid in the radiator. But there was fluid in the coolant tank, I called a friend of mine who is a mechanic to come check it out, we'll see what it is. I'll post more feedback when he checks it out, I'm guessing water pump is gone bad :'( or maybe the system is clogged up....
Your description fits what happens when a radiator cap goes bad. Most of the fluid boils away as the radiator absorbs more and more heat and cannot transfer it effectively. Before you do anything else, just replace the radiator cap and refill the radiator. Once you get all the air bubbles out and the engine up to temp, do a visual inspection around the radiator to look for leaks.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:50 PM
2003350z099

Originally Posted by dkmura
Your description fits what happens when a radiator cap goes bad. Most of the fluid boils away as the radiator absorbs more and more heat and cannot transfer it effectively. Before you do anything else, just replace the radiator cap and refill the radiator. Once you get all the air bubbles out and the engine up to temp, do a visual inspection around the radiator to look for leaks.
Thanks for the info, I'll try that tomorrow. The mechanic told me the radiator had good pressure, but I also mentioned to him that my car was leaking oil. Not a lot but very frequently a drop or 2 will fall on the catalytic converter, he mentioned to me that could do with the overheating and what not....i don't know if that's true or not???

So before I took it to the mechanic, he had told me to open the radiator cap and run the car and put coolant in (not through the coolant tank). So I did and then drove it about 7 miles, I put my hazard lights on and was going about 25-30 mph (in a 45 mph zone) and the car would over heat every half mile or so. I had to stop 3 times in total letting the car cool and then run it again. The odd part about that is after the 3rd time it wouldn't over heat and so I kept speeding till I got to 45 and the car was at normal temp for about 3.5 miles. Before I got to the mechanic I pushed the car up to 60mph and nothing, the car still didn't over heat. I know this is all long, but I appreciate the help and maybe it will help someone else out there too.

Last edited by 2003350z099; 05-27-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 2003350z099
Thanks for the info, I'll try that tomorrow. The mechanic told me the radiator had good pressure, but I also mentioned to him that my car was leaking oil. Not a lot but very frequently a drop or 2 will fall on the catalytic converter, he mentioned to me that could do with the overheating and what not....i don't know if that's true or not???

So before I took it to the mechanic, he had told me to open the radiator cap and run the car and put coolant in (not through the coolant tank). So I did and then drove it about 7 miles, I put my hazard lights on and was going about 25-30 mph (in a 45 mph zone) and the car would over heat every half mile or so. I had to stop 3 times in total letting the car cool and then run it again. The odd part about that is after the 3rd time it wouldn't over heat and so I kept speeding till I got to 45 and the car was at normal temp for about 3.5 miles. Before I got to the mechanic I pushed the car up to 60mph and nothing, the car still didn't over heat. I know this is all long, but I appreciate the help and maybe it will help someone else out there too.
A small oil leak would have very little to do with overheating. But if your VQ is losing a quart of oil every 1000 miles, it's either got a serious problem or is the rev-up version.

The advise your mechanic gave you was a bit of a redneck way of burping the radiator and getting all the air out. There are radiator fill funnels like the Lisle that will do this same thing while idling in your garage:
Amazon.com: Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive

But driving slowly like you did will dislodge most air bubbles as the Z comes up to temperature. Dollars to donuts, you put on a new radiator cap and the overheating issue gets resolved. Please post up whether this was the case.i