Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Vibrating Noise from the dash at around 45mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 06:26 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People definitely have a mirror rattle. This is one easy place to check. I've got a clunk from the right dash, worse in the cold, but still present after the car warms up. It only clunks when I hit road imperfections.

Very annoying.

The car is going in on Wednesday for some TSB work.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:51 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Sounds like something is loose under or around the steering wheel area. I can minimize the rattle by pulling on the bottom of the wheel.

I remember seeing a possible TSB a rattle near the VDC/TCS button. Anyone have it, or know how to fix this?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:59 PM
CAR2

I found the cup holder vibrates at about 45 to 55 mph. A bit of tape underneath stops it.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Grommit

I have the A-pillar rattle as well as the rear view mirror rattle. This is on a 04 track so it's common on both 03 and 04's. I also had this metalic twangi noise from the rear of my car but upon taking everything out of my Z it turned out to be the zipper on my owners manual that made the noise. Pretty funny if ya ask me. heh.

I couldn't find it but I remember reading a thread a long time back where someone had used crazy glue to fix the rear view mirror rattle.

also, does anyone know how to remove the A-pillar? I need to get rid of that rattle!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:04 PM
emir

I have the same exact noise, everytime i go to nissan they just b ullshit around and just say they can't here it. My entire interior is shaking and 350 z's ****ing suck
Old 03-19-2004, 08:14 PM
desiZ

bought my car 4 days ago, yesterday nite started rattling drivers side in front, i started touching parts while moving (on a deserted street --safely), and it stopped when i pressed on the air vents at the base of the windshield driver's side. soon as i left it, rattle rattle, so basically what should I do to stop it .. bluebatmobile.. i think u have the same problem as me... what did ya do ?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:59 AM
Zcollector

Originally posted by FB-350
I had the same problem with mine; brought it in twice to get it fixed - dealer 'says' they fixed, but the noise was still there...
ended up bringing it another dealer who was highly recommended, and they got it right the first time; they ended up replacing the center dash panel where the nav screen/ 3 gauges/radio goes... that entire panel was replaced, and silence never sounded better....

this dealership is great! it also helps that my service rep has a 350, and another rep who works there also has one w/ Stillen SC... at least we all care for our Z's and I was glad they did what it took to get it right...

just my .02...
Which dealer was that in Miami? Nice to hear that someone has positive relationships with their service manager.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:18 PM
Spartan1510

My rear view mirror was replaced, and the buzzing is gone.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:44 PM
350zhao

Originally posted by VandyZ
The little round temp sensor near the glass on the passenger side rattles on mine. It seems to only do it in the cold and on certain roads. I know it it this because I have had several people push on it when it happens. I will fix it someday when I think about it.
same to me, i found out by push it, i put a little pice sponge myself underneath dash near the glass right next temp sensor, ok so far
Old 05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Spartan1510
My rear view mirror was replaced, and the buzzing is gone.

The mirror vibration/buzz comes from the wires leading down to it from the ceiling. I'm pretty sure the wires or something else coated in plastic push on the windshield from the inside. With a little shaking (for example, a sports car suspension), the wires and that plastic cover are rubbing up and down against the window.

I can't say I'm a fan of sqeaks and stuff, but my friend's C5 has had 2 hoods, 2 fuel pumps, the power mirror doesn't work right, the reverse gear is stripping, the "premium stereo" sounds like poop (kinda like Bose). the interior panels don't even come close to lining up, the muffler tips aren't lined up, and the parking brake handle broke!

I mean, the Z has some problems, but I'm not willing to pay and extra $10-15K for 70 horses with the condition that everything breaks. The car only has 30K miles on it!

Hope the stuff about the mirror helps. And for my own info, what cars have you all been driving that don't have any rattles? I know my dad bought my mom a BMW and it's silent, but all the other cars I have been in make noise.

Last edited by UsafaRice; 05-17-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:00 PM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by UsafaRice
I know my dad bought my mom a BMW and it's silent, but all the other cars I have been in make noise.
I had an 04 IS300 (sold it for the Z) and it was silent. The suspension was stiff because the manual was built with "sport tuned" suspension. Still it had no rattles or creaks. I hope my more expensive 04 touring doesn't make me regret getting rid of a perfect sport sedan.

I also just started having the temp sensor rattle along with the passenger seat rattle. Guys please help with the passenger seat. see my thread.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:53 AM
Farren

Here's a suggestion...
If you can reproduce the noise on a consistant basis then take your car to your friendly neighborhood Nissan repair facility and take your Service Advisor for a ride! Your Service Advisor should then be able to describe the exact noise and reproduce the noise if needed.
If they come back and tell you they could not duplicate the noise don't give up! Ask to ride with the tech that's working on your car.
Now that there is a technician assigned to your vehicle you should be able to swing by the dealership at a later date when the noise is there and take the tech for a ride! Be sure and call ahead!
You may have to schedule a later date for your repair but at least you were successful at showing the noise to the tech and he/she should be able to make a repair.
If your Service Advisor tells you there is no one available to ride with you then ask to ride (or talk) with the Service Manager!
Old 05-18-2004, 08:01 AM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My big problem is the passenger seat rattle. With weight in the passenger seat the rattle disappears. So how do I get Nissan to fix this annoying rattle as a ride along is impossible. Unless I shove the lazy tech who refuses to fix the ever so obivous rattle into the little Z trunk.j/k LOL
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Spartan1510

Originally posted by UsafaRice
The mirror vibration/buzz comes from the wires leading down to it from the ceiling. I'm pretty sure the wires or something else coated in plastic push on the windshield from the inside. With a little shaking (for example, a sports car suspension), the wires and that plastic cover are rubbing up and down against the window.
Actually, my vibration was from "inside" the mirror. The wires, plastic cover, attachment to the windshield, everything was fine. Basically, I had to hold the mirror itself tight to get it to stop. (found this out by accident one day trying to adjust it) Tried putting pressure against everything. Tried adjusting the mirror to different positions. Tried moving, putting pressure against the wires. But the source was the mirror itself. Dealer confirmed, replaced the outrageously expensive mirror....and no more rattle.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:26 AM
I2h8BMW

I also hear a rattle by my rear view mirror, but it only happens once in a while, depending on the road. Took to the dealer and got "couldn't reproduce".
Old 06-01-2004, 03:06 PM
KShep

Thankfully my rearview mirror is silent at present, but the resonant vibration from both of these vents more than make up for it. If anyone has a fix for them, I'll give it a shot a post a DIY. Local dealership incompetent. (driver's side vent shown below)
Attached Thumbnails Vibrating Noise from the dash at around 45mph-vent-rattle.jpg