Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

06 350Z TCS SLIP issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:14 PM
VectorPat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 350Z TCS SLIP issues

This is my wifes 06 350z vert. Lately she has had an issue with the car intermittently hesitates and loses power when driving and throwing the TCS SLIP light. Then when she turns the car off it will not restart sometimes. When it does restart the lights go out until it hesitates again and they reappear. After some quick research I found that the cam and crank sensors have had issues. So I replaced all of them. The car still does the same thing. Any other ideas before we get raped by the dealer?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

It certainly sounds like a problem with and/or camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Did you replace both banks?

I had the problem you describe and replaced the sensors; but as in your case, continued experiencing the same problem. My issue turned out to be caused by using non-OEM sensors. I replaced these with Nissan’s OEM sensors and that fixed the problem.

--Spike
Old 02-05-2015, 03:38 PM
VectorPat

Yes, I replaced both banks and the crank sensor, but they are aftermarket sensors. I had to use them as it died in the parts stores parking lot when I had her stop there and get the battery checked as the car eats a battery about every 2 years. The battery and alt both checked fine. I changed the pass side and the car still wouldnt start. I then changed the driver side and the car started and drove home. The next morning she drove to work and said the light came on and would not restart when she left work but finally did after several attempts. I then changed the crank sensor and it did the same thing today. I just find it strange that it has the same issue even with aftermarket sensors.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 PM
TeamDUZCO

Hello there! New in the forum and also new Z owner!
So, didn't want to start a new thread, I've browsing around the forum and I see you guys don't aprecciate it.

Anyways, bought this 2003 350Z Touring Edition in an auction. Front left suspention damaged. Once I took it out of the shop, I notice ABS/VCD/SLIP lights on. I've read some of you have had same trouble, but I haven't experience any power loss or staying under 3K revs, car goes all the way up like charm.

I visually inspect the suspention for any cut wires and nothing. Brake fluid OK. Break pads don't seem to be the problem and my 4 tires are of sized as marked, so I'm getting really frustrated.

I've already plug the scanner and no codes came up. Don't really know what else to do. I'm short on money since I'm a med school grad, so, not livin' the dream yet :P
Not an option taking it to the dealer, but I'm a pretty good do it your self man.

Any ideas? Is there a way to "reset" this lights?

Thanks in advance, really thrilled to be a Z owner
Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP - check your brake fluid/brake pad wear.

@ TeamDUZCO - check the pads again and have the shop inspect the front left caliper. What work was done to fix the suspension?
Old 02-06-2015, 02:51 PM
VectorPat

I had heard about the brake fluid but forgot to check it, thats the next thing I'll do when she gets home tonight. The front brakes were done about 10k miles ago and the rears still had plenty of material left on them. I know the fluid was full then but who knows now. I just cant see how that would make it not start. It would not start for her tonight when leaving from work, but after waiting another 30mins it did start but TCS/SLIP light is now staying on. She has an appointment with the dealer in the morning but maybe just maybe it is the fluid.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM
TeamDUZCO

JERZ350

All of the front left suspention was replacent and some pulling on the mounting of it since it pushed back a little. But I've already taken it to get alingmente and car runs straight. I'm refusing to believe my brake pads would cause this, but I don't see many more options. Could a different year caliper/ABS sensor maybe the problem? I really don't know what car donate it.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:56 AM
VectorPat

I checked the brake fluid and it was fine. She took it to the dealer this morning and they said it was the Cam Sensors. She told them they were just replaced and it didnt change anything and they said it something electrical, DUH!! and would have to leave for a few days. As shes leaving the car wont start. The tech comes out and tells her to give it a little gas and it starts right up. She needs the car everyday so its hard to leave it. Not sure what we're going to do now.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDUZCO
Hello there! New in the forum and also new Z owner!
So, didn't want to start a new thread, I've browsing around the forum and I see you guys don't aprecciate it.

Anyways, bought this 2003 350Z Touring Edition in an auction. Front left suspention damaged. Once I took it out of the shop, I notice ABS/VCD/SLIP lights on. I've read some of you have had same trouble, but I haven't experience any power loss or staying under 3K revs, car goes all the way up like charm.

I visually inspect the suspention for any cut wires and nothing. Brake fluid OK. Break pads don't seem to be the problem and my 4 tires are of sized as marked, so I'm getting really frustrated.

I've already plug the scanner and no codes came up. Don't really know what else to do. I'm short on money since I'm a med school grad, so, not livin' the dream yet :P
Not an option taking it to the dealer, but I'm a pretty good do it your self man.

Any ideas? Is there a way to "reset" this lights?

Thanks in advance, really thrilled to be a Z owner
The ABS control module is likely busted.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 PM
VectorPat

On her way home she stopped by an independent shop a friend of hers recommended. He said that she needs to have a dealer reset or reflash the ECU as this needs to be done whenever a bad sensor is replaced and only a dealer can do it. Anyone ever heard of this? He also told her not to take it back to that dealer as they have a rep of pulling BS like this.