Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:13 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!

Someone please help Tim at SFR finish my 4.5 yrs long build. His latest issue is the power steering can puking fluid. I have researched everything yet nothing seems to work...new can is vented...old weapon R wasn't yet it had no problems. Tim built a new can with both lines coming in/out from the bottom and he thinks this is the issue but again, the old weapon R was built this way as well...no issues. He says it doesn't whine like there is an air bubble, which is what all the research I did seems to indicate.

Its FREAKING shame a 100k build is held up because of some ***** like this...Answers appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-weapon-r-pic-2.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-weapon-r-pic-3.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-weapon-r-reservoir.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-gold-cans-mounted.jpg  
Old 11-06-2015, 05:24 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm not help but I'm in here cause you said 100k build
Old 11-06-2015, 05:43 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

What happens with the OEM reservoir? I think you need to try that, just to eliminate that one variable.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:21 AM
ogiehooker

Default CAN

I have suggested numerous options for Tim..he has converted the lines to 10 and 6 an so he cant use the stocker now......I have suggested inline filter, a baffle on a dipstick etc.....He's dicked off on this thing 3 weeks now and I AM the one trying to solve the issue...**** poor.....he built a $1000 can for me, powder coated etc and now realizes the an fittings should have at least had the return 6 an fitting welded on the side, not on the bottom like the 10 an feed side....or at least he thinks that the fluid is turbulent.

HRMONEYPIT...I like that name..my new name is DEMONEYPIT))
Attached Thumbnails power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-underside-car-front.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-underside-front-end-new-air-filters.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-catch-can-with-bracket-new-1.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-gold-cans-mounted-in-engine-bay-close-up.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-water-methanol-battery-trunk-box-3.jpg  

power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-roll-bar-drivers-side.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-roll-bar-rear-view.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-longblock-turbos-mounted.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-engine-pistons-arias-ceramic-coated-and-antifriction-coated.jpg   power steering can puking fluid...HELP TIM FINISH MY BUILD!!-swain-tech-exhaust-manifolds-and-turbo-housongs-350z.jpg  

Last edited by ogiehooker; 11-07-2015 at 06:28 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

Your first mistake was basing anything of the Weapon-R design. It is a POS can. Anyone who is running it without modifying it is running the risk of cavitation and a dead PS pump.

The issue is that the return line is pointing straight up, causing the fluid to swirl from top to bottom and create air bubbles. The static fluid level in the tank wont be the same as the dynamic. Then the suction pipe is pulling fluid/air back in.

If you go lock to lock on the steering wheel you will get pump whine.

The oem tank takes the return port and creates a swirl in the tank. It doesnt just shoot the fluid back up even though the return port is vertical. It has internal baffling.

This eliminates the cavitation. You need to have the same done on your new tank. I modified my weapon R to do this and it has worked perfectly.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Correct about the need for a swirl effect and baffle. You can see the baffle if you look inside the OEM 350z tank, but you can't really see the details from the top. On my wife's Acura there isn't a baffle, but the return line comes in from a tangent and you can see how strong the swirl action is and how much fluid it pumps, even at idle.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:49 AM
ogiehooker

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Your first mistake was basing anything of the Weapon-R design. It is a POS can. Anyone who is running it without modifying it is running the risk of cavitation and a dead PS pump.

The issue is that the return line is pointing straight up, causing the fluid to swirl from top to bottom and create air bubbles. The static fluid level in the tank wont be the same as the dynamic. Then the suction pipe is pulling fluid/air back in.

If you go lock to lock on the steering wheel you will get pump whine.

The oem tank takes the return port and creates a swirl in the tank. It doesnt just shoot the fluid back up even though the return port is vertical. It has internal baffling.

This eliminates the cavitation. You need to have the same done on your new tank. I modified my weapon R to do this and it has worked perfectly.
I MYSELF didn't base a new can off of anything, Tim did...my OLD weapon R worked fine w/o modification, only his new can doesn't work.....

How exactly did you modify your can? got a pic?

I have passed along the info to Tim and we will see if this action helps...

I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE AND HELP!!!

Last edited by ogiehooker; 11-07-2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Since you're not using the stock res any more, cut it in half so you can see what need to be done.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:39 AM
ogiehooker

its 6000 miles away from me...Tim has it in SOCAL...he knows what the inside looks like....looks like he tried to save space and attach both lines on the bottom of the can ala weapon R...MY weapon R worked fine...don't know why this one doesn't.

I suggest that he put some screening in the can to disrupt the flow and see if that works first....later he can weld an AN adapter on the SIDE of the can for return...If nothing else, he hass to build a new can with internal baffles.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

more than just a sreen. Bottom needs to be cut of and a baffle plate or fitting installed so that the fluid creates a swirl
Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 AM
ogiehooker

Default can

Yup-he's decided to build a whole new can.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:44 PM
ogiehooker

Default can

he first rewelded the return line to the can, to the side rather than the bottom...he says it work....we'll see....