Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Blurry Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:53 PM
tiger85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blurry Headlights

Hi guys!
I need you because I have to deal with the scourge of all headlights… BLURRY HEADLIGHTS!

I did not pay attention to my headlights and now they are all dirty, I tried cleaning them with toothpaste and a brush as a friend told me but it failed and I really have to get it done: It would be dangerous to drive without them being spotless… any tips? I am getting really desperate…

Also, if anyone knew how to protect my headlights so it does not happen again, I’d love them to share with me!
Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-19-2018, 05:25 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,061 Likes on 749 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...v-coating.html
Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 PM
tiger85

Thank you for the redirection Heel! And thanks for the link too ahahah
Old 06-25-2018, 05:39 AM
Heel Til I Die

Anytime, brother!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:31 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Just throwing this out there, may not be your thing but it will help protect the lenses. A few years ago, I ordered some tinted blue plastic covers for mine from a company called 'Headlight-Armor'. They sell them in clear, blue, yellow, and smoked colors.

While the colored ones will protect your headlights and keep them from hazing up, the tint will eventually fade and need to be replaced. I'm guessing you wouldn't have this issue with clear ones though?

Just make sure you order the proper size for your year. And last time I checked the priced had dropped a few bucks on them too.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:55 AM
Heel Til I Die

With the film on your lights, did (or do) you have any issues with spiderwebbing, stress cracks or "crazing"? I remember reading that headlight film overlays cause issues with heat dissipation which may be a cause of problems.

Of course, this may just be the case with inferior tint overlays or films. Maybe it's not an issue with more reputable brands

Just curious about your personal experience. I just finished my headlight retrofit and would like to keep them looking pristine
Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
With the film on your lights, did (or do) you have any issues with spiderwebbing, stress cracks or "crazing"? I remember reading that headlight film overlays cause issues with heat dissipation which may be a cause of problems.

Of course, this may just be the case with inferior tint overlays or films. Maybe it's not an issue with more reputable brands

Just curious about your personal experience. I just finished my headlight retrofit and would like to keep them looking pristine
I'm on about my 3rd set of these because I really like the look of the blue tints. But like I said, they will fade over time. Personally, I've never experienced any spider-webbing or stress cracks. But I take mine to a shop that's been doing window tint/stereo installs for years. I think the people who experienced issues with these may have tried applying them on a DIY basis and messed up.
Like I said, I just ordered another set and will have them re-applied next month. I can post before and after if you want?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 AM
WYZIWYG

Old 06-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Heel Til I Die

Install looks pretty straightforward - similar to window tinting but using water without any soap in it. I wonder if the clear films fade like the colored overlays.

I checked their website. It looks like they use film that is 15 mils thick. The price is about $10 more than the 12 mil Lamin-X clear film.

When you said that they fade, is it the color that fades but the film is still good (i.e., no cloudiness, hazing, or bubbles)?
Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM
WYZIWYG

Install looks pretty straightforward - similar to window tinting but using water without any soap in it. I wonder if the clear films fade like the colored overlays.

I checked their website. It looks like they use film that is 15 mils thick. The price is about $10 more than the 12 mil Lamin-X clear film.

When you said that they fade, is it the color that fades but the film is still good (i.e., no cloudiness, hazing, or bubbles)?
See how noticeably "dark" that blue looks? To my eyes, mine look almost clear now. If I still have some decent light out I'll snap a pic of what mine currently look like so you can judge for yourself.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:33 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
See how noticeably "dark" that blue looks? To my eyes, mine look almost clear now. If I still have some decent light out I'll snap a pic of what mine currently look like so you can judge for yourself.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:39 PM
WYZIWYG

Posted some pix before leaving for the day down below. See all that brown stuff near the top? That's where water leaked in and became trapped and discolored from the heat from the lights. They look hazy because my car hasn't been properly washed in a while, but the actual plastic lense underneath is still clear.
There may be some sticky residue when they initially come off, but that also cleans right up before new ones are re-applied.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Posted some pix before leaving for the day down below. See all that brown stuff near the top? That's where water leaked in and became trapped and discolored from the heat from the lights. They look hazy because my car hasn't been properly washed in a while, but the actual plastic lense underneath is still clear.
There may be some sticky residue when they initially come off, but that also cleans right up before new ones are re-applied.
Gotcha. Thanks for posting those pics!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 PM
tiger85

Hi guys!
Thanks for all this science, coating my headlights is something that I sure am thinking about. A friend of mine is a detailer and he told me he started using this coating called ecocoat headlight from a company named IGL coatings. It is apparently designed to be very highly UV resistant. Have you guys ever heard of them? I've found their website if you wanna review them...