Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

04 died when I threw it in neutral rolling up to a stop sign

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 07:16 PM
Bxca

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 04 died when I threw it in neutral rolling up to a stop sign

Hello all

so I have a 2004 touring w/ manual tranny and on my way home after I drove a good 10 miles I was pulling up to a stop sign right by my apt and when I threw it in neutral it just died. There were no symptoms before or anything, it was running fine. Luckily the intersection was on a hill and I was able to start rolling. So I thought why not try and start it by dumping the clutch with it in gear as a roll(push starting is the only term I know to refer to this as) and I did and I could hear the engine rev up but when I pressed the gas it did nothing, it was like the gas pedal wasn’t working, also while i was rolling and it was revving the rpm gauge wasn’t registering anything, neither was the oil pressure gauge, but the speed gauge was picking up the speed I was going. Luckily I was able to roll into my parking spot. The car will crank but won’t turn over and whenever I turn the key to “on” the check engine light doesn’t illuminate but everything else does and then after everything cycles off I’m left with e-brake(even if I drop it) slip, vdc off, oil, and battery. Never does the service engine soon light come on, I tried hooking my obd scanner up to it but it won’t connect, I’ve used it several times on multiple cars and never had an issue but it won’t connect. I took the battery to be tested they said it was bad. I bought a new one, still won’t start. Tomorrow I’ll check to make sure it has fuel and spark. Any advice or tips are much appreciated, thanks everyone
Old 06-11-2020, 07:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Start by cleaning all the battery terminals and carefully check the ground strap as well. Once you restore power, be sure to recheck for any codes held in memory and let us know what you find.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:08 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

what about the trans neutral position safety switch....just a shot in the dark.

Might as well make sure battery wire connectors are tight on terminals.

good luck!
Old 06-12-2020, 07:11 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

You ran out of gas
The following users liked this post:
calvin.w (07-21-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Bxca

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
You ran out of gas
na, got over half a tank.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:42 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I work at a dealer and deal with this **** all week. Is the problem happening more then that one time? No

Go on with your day
Old 06-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Bxca

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
I work at a dealer and deal with this **** all week. Is the problem happening more then that one time? No

Go on with your day
no, this has never happened and prior to it happening everything seemed to be copacetic.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Bxca

Originally Posted by eZg
what about the trans neutral position safety switch....just a shot in the dark.

Might as well make sure battery wire connectors are tight on terminals.

good luck!
ill check out out when I get home and let you know, thanks!
Old 07-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Bxca

Originally Posted by dkmura
Start by cleaning all the battery terminals and carefully check the ground strap as well. Once you restore power, be sure to recheck for any codes held in memory and let us know what you find.
just looked back at this post and saw you commented,

all the connections are fine. I have brand new battery.

so 6 days prior to this me and a coworker installed a jet pop charger into the car, but the car already had a fujita air filter with fujita intake tube w/ integrated maf sensor housing. Well we had to cut the intake pipe shorten it and it wasnt sitting exactly the same as before, the sensor was now kinda pushed up against the engine bay strut tower area by the strut brace. Idk if those wires shorted out against the metal. Also I’m pretty sure he tried tacking (welds) the intake tube to something on the car since it was sitting right and couldn’t get the intake tube to line up the the bolt in on the side of the engine. idk if that might have cause something? Pretty stupid imo

Btw it’s a 2004 touring w/ 130000 miles, only mod is the intake and I believe test pipes.

the guy I bought this from had it for 2+ years and never had any problems only with these 20in aftermarket wheels he had but I got rid of those right off the bat, the car has always ran fine... sometimes while cruising when I would go to give it gas I’d feel a little hesitation, like very little, but still noticeable. cause I’m always conscientious of my car and how it feels and sounds and what not. But it never had trouble starting up or hesitation while trying to start, it always cranked with ease.

Last edited by Bxca; 07-18-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:31 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxca

so 6 days prior to this me and a coworker installed a jet pop charger into the car, but the car already had a fujita air filter with fujita intake tube w/ integrated maf sensor housing. Well we had to cut the intake pipe shorten it and it wasnt sitting exactly the same as before, the sensor was now kinda pushed up against the engine bay strut tower area by the strut brace. Idk if those wires shorted out against the metal. Also I’m pretty sure he tried tacking (welds) the intake tube to something on the car since it was sitting right and couldn’t get the intake tube to line up the the bolt in on the side of the engine. idk if that might have cause something? Pretty stupid imo
Check all fuses. If you are lucky, you blew a basic fuse. If you are still lucky you blew the main block fuse. If you are unlucky you blew the entire fuse box. If you are really unlucky the ecu got cooked.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:44 AM
Bxca

Found the problem! Fuse #77 in the ipdm which is labeled “IGN & ECCS CONT” was blown. Replaced it and it started right up. Thanks again for everyone’s patience and help.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxca:
dkmura (07-19-2020), jhc (07-19-2020)