Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Intermittent Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 06:39 PM
strikeblaze

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent Starting Issue

Hey guys, I searched around a ton and would like to get some direct feedback on this issue. I have an '04 350z touring with 50k miles on it. About a week ago, I drove it to run errands, parked it in the parking lot and came back about 2 hours later. Clutch in, turned the key and I got a long but strong crank, but wouldn't turn over for a bit. I turned the key again and on the second go, the car started up fast and strong as normal. This did not come back until today, a week later. Same deal, drove the car to the gym, came back and it sat for about 2 hours, went to turn it on, strong crank but no turn over. Turned the key to off and on again and it started up quick and strong as normal. In between the two incidents, no issue with start up at all. There are no check engine codes, I hear the fuel pump prime before the crank, and when the car is on it runs well without any issues or weird idles etc. It does need an oil change.

From what I searched, people has talked about cam shaft position sensors, however when the car is on car runs extremely well and strong and currently there are no check engine codes. Cleaning throttle body also came up, something worth trying. The battery doesn't seem worn, but I purchased the car in December and am not sure how long the car had this current battery before then. Lastly, which I THINK might be the issue is a worn ignition/fuel pump relay causing the intermittent issue. Has anyone ran into this issue and was able to fix it and provide feedback?

Last edited by strikeblaze; 10-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The other problem to consider is the fuel pressure regulator. If fuel pressure is not maintained in the lines, it can take a few tries to get line pressure up to the point the VQ will fire. Not sure how you'd check this, so check the FSM. Oh, and let us know what you find after it's fixed.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:08 PM
strikeblaze

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkmura
The other problem to consider is the fuel pressure regulator. If fuel pressure is not maintained in the lines, it can take a few tries to get line pressure up to the point the VQ will fire. Not sure how you'd check this, so check the FSM. Oh, and let us know what you find after it's fixed.
Oh yea I will check that too. Thank you and I will keep everyone updated. If anyone still has any input thought please let me know!