Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 10:00 AM
yvr-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Hi - totally new this vehicle so am learning my way through - I did do a search on this an couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

First off it's a Canadian car - so by law there should be DRLs.

My issues:

1) I have no DRL at this time. I am not even sure if this is a separate bulb or if it works off a HIDs?
2) Where should i start trouble shooting? Is there a separate relay at all or module that controls the DRLs?

Thanks - any help appreciated!
Old 08-05-2022, 11:17 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,069 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by yvr-
Hi - totally new this vehicle so am learning my way through - I did do a search on this an couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

First off it's a Canadian car - so by law there should be DRLs.

My issues:

1) I have no DRL at this time. I am not even sure if this is a separate bulb or if it works off a HIDs?
2) Where should i start trouble shooting? Is there a separate relay at all or module that controls the DRLs?

Thanks - any help appreciated!
If it's an 03-05, then the DRLs are operated by the high beams at half illumination.

There should be a DRL control unit if it's a Canadian model.

I would start by checking the fuses.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:46 AM
yvr-

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
If it's an 03-05, then the DRLs are operated by the high beams at half illumination.

There should be a DRL control unit if it's a Canadian model.

I would start by checking the fuses.
thanks. Question - where is the fuse box? Engine bay or interior?

I have high beams, both for flashing and for fully on high beams...just no DRL control on those.

Last edited by yvr-; 08-05-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:11 PM
Heel Til I Die

I would check the IPDM E/R in the engine compartment. I know the headlight relays are there. Not sure about DRLs... maybe? I have a US model.

EDIT: you didn't mention the year, but it sounds like 03-05. Attached is the '05 FSM for the LT section. The operation of the DRLs begins on page 69 and troubleshooting is on page 89. If it's a CAN communication error somewhere, then I wish you the best of luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lt (1).pdf (7.70 MB, 30 views)

Last edited by Heel Til I Die; 08-05-2022 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (08-07-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 01:10 PM
yvr-

I would check the IPDM E/R in the engine compartment. I know the headlight relays are there. Not sure about DRLs... maybe? I have a US model.

EDIT: you didn't mention the year, but it sounds like 03-05. Attached is the '05 FSM for the LT section. The operation of the DRLs begins on page 69 and troubleshooting is on page 89. If it's a CAN communication error somewhere, then I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you - yes it's an 2004.

I read somewhere that taking the radio out with an aftermarket could cause this? Is that correct? I know with Land Rovers (with which I'm familiar) taking something out of the MOST Canbus loop can wreak havoc.

Last edited by yvr-; 08-05-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:40 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by yvr-
Thank you - yes it's an 2004.

I read somewhere that taking the radio out with an aftermarket could cause this? Is that correct? I know with Land Rovers (with which I'm familiar) taking something out of the MOST Canbus loop can wreak havoc.
That, I'm not so sure about, but I guess it's possible. I do know that Land Rovers are notorious for their electrical quirks and gremlins, but I'm sure you already know that!

I don't know the laws in Canada, but if you can't trace down the issue with the DRLs, The simplest solution would be to just bypass the whole thing and install a relay to the side marker or parking lights with the triggers from a fused power source that is energized when the Z is on. If it were me, I would get some switchback turn signals (like the V6 Triton from VLED) and connect the white light trigger with a fuse tap so that you have the white LEDs illuminated when driving and then they switch to amber for the turn signals.

Oh wait... I did do that.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:23 AM
yvr-

That, I'm not so sure about, but I guess it's possible. I do know that Land Rovers are notorious for their electrical quirks and gremlins, but I'm sure you already know that!

I don't know the laws in Canada, but if you can't trace down the issue with the DRLs, The simplest solution would be to just bypass the whole thing and install a relay to the side marker or parking lights with the triggers from a fused power source that is energized when the Z is on. If it were me, I would get some switchback turn signals (like the V6 Triton from VLED) and connect the white light trigger with a fuse tap so that you have the white LEDs illuminated when driving and then they switch to amber for the turn signals.

Oh wait... I did do that.

So i'm just making my way through the troubleshooting part of the document you sent...but where is the parking brake switch? Is it actually under the center console with the hand brake or further under the dash?

Old 08-10-2022, 05:14 AM
Heel Til I Die

Yep, that switch is located under the center console on the parking brake lever assembly.

36011 in the below diagram: