Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Grinding Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 08:20 PM
swalveb20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Grinding Transmission

Need some experts help, I just bought an 06 350z last year. Bought the car with 73k miles and since than it is sitting at 76500 as of right now. During that time the clutch went out on it so I had a shop put in a new clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and new tranny fluid.I told them to check the flywheel while they were in there and they said it looked good.

Since the new clutch the car has given me nothing but issues when shifting from first to second. These issues started happening after I had the new clutch put in, I have never driven my car hard. The only reason I noticed the clutch was going is because when I pushed the clutch in it would make a whining noise and than stop upon releasing the clutch. It is very hard to explain the issue I am having because the issue is very inconsistent, sometimes it grinds when shifting into second from first gear and other times it shifts completely fine.

When I say the issue is inconsistent I mean very inconsistent. Some days ill drive it for an hour and it'll be completely fine the entire drive and other times ill drive it for an hour and it'll grind from 1st to 2nd the whole time. I have noticed that the temperature outside and the operating temperature in the tranny does play a role in how it shifts, I have noticed that the hotter it is the more it grinds. When I first start it up it doesn't grind at all but as the car gets warmer it starts to grind from 1st to 2nd.

I did experiment with it some and I also noticed that if I short shift it around 1500 rpm it wont grind or if I rev it out to 4k it wont grind, it is always around the 2-2500 rpm range that it always grinds. The grind is not bad by any means, it still goes into gear without resistance it just clunks into gear with a slight grind. I literally have no idea, ive tried taking it back to the same shop and told them what its doing and they always say "it seems fine" which is completely false lol. What are your guys thoughts? low tranny fluid? Slave cylinder? I find it hard to believe it would be anything more significant than that with only 76k miles.

Last edited by swalveb20; 04-27-2024 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:36 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome and my first thought would be to ask what type of brake fluid was used when your clutch was replaced? Since these problems began after the work was done and seem to get worse with rising temps and low revs, I'd hazard the type and viscocity of tranny fluid might be a factor. A cheap suggestion might be to buy three quarts of Redline MT-85 and simply replace whatever the shop used. It's not a hard task to accomplish and every Z car owner should know how to do it.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:46 AM
swalveb20

What brake fluid do you suggest to run and since the tranny fluid is a cheap suggestion what transmission fluid do you suggest I run to maintain the transmission as best as possible? Don’t care how much it cost. Im just going to swap out all fluids and a new master switch since some suggest doing it with the clutch.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by swalveb20
What brake fluid do you suggest to run and since the tranny fluid is a cheap suggestion what transmission fluid do you suggest I run to maintain the transmission as best as possible? Don’t care how much it cost. Im just going to swap out all fluids and a new master switch since some suggest doing it with the clutch.
For brake fluid, I'd suggest ATE Super Blue DOT 4. Moderately priced and widely available. High wet boiling point and fully compatible with the DOT 3 fluid left in your Z. As for tranny fluid, I already suggested Redline MT-85 to maintain it, I use it in both my street and race Zs. If you're talking about the rear differential, that's a different story.

Last edited by dkmura; 04-28-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:48 AM
swalveb20

Originally Posted by dkmura
For brake fluid, I'd suggest ATE Super Blue DOT 4. Moderately priced and widely available. High wet boiling point and fully compatible with the DOT 3 fluid left in your Z. As for tranny fluid, I already suggested Redline MT-85 to maintain it, I use it in both my street and race Zs. If you're talking about the rear differential, that's a different story.

ill give that a try thank you very much!
Old 04-28-2024, 01:28 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by swalveb20
ill give that a try thank you very much!
Forgot to mention that ATE Super Blue was outlawed due to its blue color by the DOT here in the states. The same product, without the blue coloring, is also marketed under the name ATE Gold 200 and has the same rating and cost.