Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Z is a LEMON! Can someone help me out with the Lemon Law?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Webiteks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My Z is a LEMON! Can someone help me out with the Lemon Law?

I am a very frustrated 350Z owner. I have a 2004 Enthusiast Model with 7500 miles on it. I have currently have just the NISMO Exhaust. here is my story:

1st trip to NISSAN SERVICE DEPT:
@ 5000 miles. Went to NISSAN because my car was acting up to where the engine was wanting to DIE at stoplights. It did that for 2 weeks, then DIED COMPLETELY at a stoplight. I had it towed to my NISSAN Dealer.

They told me that they couldn't find ANY PROBLEMS, however since I had a K&N Typhoon Intake on it, that it was *ironically* what caused the problem. They said that it could have been oil from the filter that messed up my MAF. ********!!! So they said I had to put my stock intake back on. . . which I did, AND BOUGHT A NEW MAF and everything would be fine. Which it was at that time.

2nd trip to NISSAN SERVICE DEPT:
@ 7000 miles. Went to NISSAN because my car was acting up to where it wanted to DIE AT STOPLIGHTS AGAIN!!!!! Keep in mind that all I have on my car from my previous trip from NISSAN and now, is my NISMO EXHAUST. EVERYTHING ELSE IS STOCK.

They had my car for the past 5 days, test drove it, told me that the problem is only periodic, and it doesn't exist for a long enough time for them to find where the problem is. After 5 days, they gave me back my car and said I need to keep driving it until the problem becomes more persistent, or it BREAKS! ******** ******** ********! Why should I have to put up with this ****?

Anyway. . . apparently my 1st visit to Nissan, the experience WAS NOT because of my K&N Typhoon Intake. AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS AND CHARGED ME A SHITLOAD BECUASE THEY HAD TO DO WORK ON MY CAR AND THEY CLAIMED IT WAS DUE TO MY AFTERMARKET PART! how can that be. . . and I am now having the same problem again and they can't determine what it is?

So how does this LEMON LAW work? Am I Eligible?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:33 PM
islandsnow

I'm not sure about the lemon law in missouri, but since they seen your car with the aftermarket part on the car they might say all the problems were caused by that. If the car was totally stock and it died and you towed it to the dealer 3 times and they couldn't diagnose it that third time, i think they will have to buy the car back or replace it. That is the law in california when i had a 300ZX, i almost got a new car because mine wouldn't start intermittently and after towing it a third time, they finally kept the car till they diagnosed a faulty starter relay. The problem was very intermittent and hard to trace because it worked 97% of the time. If you can prove the old MAF sensor was not damaged and still works maybe you can convince someone at corporate that since the part you installed had no moving parts and didn't damage the maf sensor that your car should still be covered under the lemon law. But usually for a lemon law the car would have to die and i mean not restart or be driveable 3 times which probably means towed to the dealer. I would have your car checked to see if there was any damage from the port, my friends 300zx was damaged at the port and they replaced the part but it wasn't revealed at the dealership, they sold the car as new and after the car had problems, the corporate office checked it out and found that car had some work done at the port, so they ended up giving him a new car. Well anyways good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Webiteks

I put back in the old MAF they *said* was damaged. . . and my car is still running the same. . . so where should I start with this? I can't go to the Service DEPT, becuase they already don't know what they're doing, and will deny anything.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:13 AM
Dissolved

First off, they have to prove the aftermarket part caused the problem. Second, having an aftermarket part on your car doesnt automatically void your entire drivetrain warranty. Third, if you replaced the "broken component in question" (in this case, the MAF) and your stock intake is back on.........they need to $hut the F**k up about it. If you have the car stock and replaced the part they said was damaged by your intake.....what's their problem?

Your car does not qualify as a lemon. To be a lemon in most states, your car must fall under one of the following:

-be in the shop longer than 30 days
-have 3 or more major problems (engine, tranny etc)
-go in for the same problem 3 times to no avail

Your best bet is to leave your stock intake on and try another dealer's service department. That's what I did. You can also call 1800-NISSAN-1 and complain about your current dealer. Oh and when those little "rate your service department" things come in the mail, give your current dealer all bad marks. It really goes against them.

Good luck. I can't believe how many bad dealers there are out there.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Dissolved

by the way, your problem sounds like a throttle position sensor. Did they connect their diagnostic equipment up to see if your car threw any codes?

I've heard of your problem happening on the 350z before. It's not that bad. I think you are just upset with your dealer. Your car isnt a lemon bro. Probably far from it. Once you get good service from another dealer again, you'll start loving the car again.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Webiteks

I hope I get good service soon!!

They did hook it up to the machine and they said it didn't throw any codes.

This problem IS something that is pretty serious. When my car dies at a stoplight to where I can't even start it, that's a big problem. Then 2000 miles later. . . the SAME SYMPTOMS that came up before my car died at the stoplight. . . are coming back!

My car is far from being ok
Old 04-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Dissolved

It's more than likely nothing mechanical that failed. Your dealer's mechanics just suck. You think you have problems? Ask the '03 guys who are on their 2nd or 3rd tranny. That's considered serious.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Webiteks

I know that it's not SERIOUS, but it's still a problem that they even deemed it an issue, but they can't pinpoint it and want me to drive it around until it breaks. That's all I'm saying.

I started this thread to see if anyone could help me out, not tell me that my issue isn't as bad as the 03 guys with bad transmissions.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:49 PM
ranger5oh

Well, if it is the throttle position sensor, reset it by doing this:

Turn the key to the on and then off position 3 times within 5 seconds... or is it 5 times in 3 seconds.. shoot I forgot. It is one of the two though, try it out.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Webiteks

I did all the resetting procedures that is on TechnoSquare's website. No change :-(
Old 04-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Webiteks
I know that it's not SERIOUS, but it's still a problem that they even deemed it an issue, but they can't pinpoint it and want me to drive it around until it breaks. That's all I'm saying.

I started this thread to see if anyone could help me out, not tell me that my issue isn't as bad as the 03 guys with bad transmissions.
Whatever man. I was only trying to help, no need for the attitude. I told you what the problem could be. You come in here crying like a baby that your car is a lemon when you don't even know the definition of a lemon.

Maybe you should pick up one of those "auto mechanics for dummies" books and diagnose it yourself.

In the meantime: Here's a few towels for your tears

Last edited by Dissolved; 04-17-2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Webiteks

grow up
Old 04-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Dissolved

Thats right. Self talk is good for helping yourself. Keep it up Webiteks I'm proud of you. Keep telling yourself to "grow up", maybe oneday you will! Good luck, we're all pulling for you!

By the way, did you call the attorney general yet about your lemon? http://www.ago.state.mo.us/ How many of them laughed at you or did you even get through to one of the actual lawyers?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Webiteks

Old 04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Webiteks,

Have you tried a different dealership?

I don't know how you acted with the first dealership, but the next one, don't have an attitude. Calmly tell them the situation and let them try and do a diagnosis.

The dealership may very well have not been able to reproduce your issue without driving the car a lot and they simply can't have one of their technicians driving a car around for 20-30min. First the liability is too great and second the cost of having him not working on billable work is too high. It may suck but they are a business and can only do sooo much. That doesn't explain the having it 5 days.

Additionally, you are at least 2 attempts at repair away from most lemon laws. The dealerships comments that they weren't able to reproduce the issue don't count as an attempt to repair unless it is later found and repaired. Which it would then have to fail again for you too submit for buy back under the lemon law. If you do get to this point, try the BBB Autoline, it worked for me. And yes, I am one of those 03 guys.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Webiteks

I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much! I will be going to a 2nd dealer this weekend.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:54 PM
MadneZz

I had similar experiences...

My car didnt die but it seem like it want to die. It will not pushed past 3000 RPM.

The first time it happen, it lasted for a few hour. I restarted it after 4 hr of parking and it work fine. Took it into the dealers but they cant find anything wrong with it.

2nd Time it happen I took it in, this time they actually see how it run and diagnose it. So far they said bad MAF sensor.
they tried to reprogram the ECU but no luck so they order a new one.

Lucky for me, none are in stock any where, and they are waiting for them to be manufactured supposely.

So I had my car for 2 month, it's sitting in the dealers for more then 2 week. Ofcourse no ETA time.

Forgot to mention that my car only have 2600 mile on it

Maybe it's ur ECU like mine..
Old 04-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Webiteks

Keep me updated on your story! EVERYTHING that happened to you is what happened to me!! They changed out my MAF sensor and my car was running fine for 2000 more miles, then the symptoms are starting to act back up and they have no clue what it is.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:27 PM
MadneZz

I will.. soon as I know what da hell is up with the ECU..
and how it take so damn long for me to get one..