Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Z is dead and I can not jumpstart!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 04:36 PM
mike87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z is dead and I can not jumpstart!

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

My problem is that my Z is dead and I can't jumpstart it. The minute I connect the last cable to the battery the freakin alarm goes off. I jump in the car to start it and nothing!

It is my fault that the car is dead. I have been using my Jeep Liberty for work and hitting the Jersey shore on the weekends. It is an automatic and I just can't deal with a manual in all that traffic. The car has not been fired up for a few months.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

A few MONTHS!!!

You need to either start her up on a regular (at least weekly) basis or pick up a battery tender that "trickle charges" the battery while it sits. Even THEN you should still start the car up and drive it a little bit to prevent flat spots on your tires.

As for the battery situation, I have never had the alarm go off in that case. I have killed th battery by playing the radio while detailing though. All I have done is connect a battery charger to it overnight and the next day all was well.

If this doesn't work you'll probably need a new battery.

Battery Tender link:
http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.co....asp?battery=9
Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 PM
boxsterkiller

Have you tried deactivating your alarm with key fob when alarm goes off. It sounds like the alarm cuts off the ignition when it goes off. When I put the key in the ignition while alarlm goes off it won't start. You have to deactivate it with the alarm key fob with key out of ingitiom and then try starting car.Good
luck
Old 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I found is these cars have a plastic ring on the post which gets in the way of jumping. It is enough to get the electronics working but not enough for a good jump connection. Make sure the jumper cables teeth are touching all metal on the posts. The becomes very important when jumping Z to Z (check both). I have looked like a fool because of this.
The following users liked this post:
Glaceo (05-30-2019)
Old 07-28-2004, 08:28 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

I had a similar problem. It was only after 3 weeks and the car wouldn't start or jump. I took it to Nissan and told them it died. Don't tell them how long it sat. The battery croaked and they repalced it with a new one free of charge.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:58 PM
mike87

Default Thanks guys

Boxsterkiller/Dr. Bonz,

Thanks for the reply. I must admit that I have not tried the key fob. If it does not work I will try to charge it like the doctor has suggested. If all fails I will buy a new battery.

Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have drained the battery perhaps too far. If a standard battery is pulled down too far, the plates polarize, and can develop a layer of lead oxide that will not reverse (highly variable) by charging.
You can try to recover some of the battery capability by using the high charge (like 10Amp) setting over night. No guarantees, though.
Then, if you can start it, take it to a Checker or Autozone- they will do a battery and charging system check for free.
BUT-figure on a new battery, and keep it trickling for a day once a week if you do not drive it.
You should not
Old 08-09-2004, 07:22 PM
azaz

If you do a quick charge with high amperage, I would suggest to remove the battery and do it away from the car or any cars or anything that could be potentially damaged by a battery exploding. That wouldn't be good on your Z!!!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 AM
LaurieEbby

Default Same Problem: Please Help!

I have the same problem. I cannot start the z. I do not know what a key fob is or how to use it. Can anyone help? I don't want to pay for a tow to the dealer...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 AM
LaurieEbby

Did you get this car started? I am having the same problem and don't know how to start the vehicle.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:59 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by LaurieEbby
I have the same problem. I cannot start the z. I do not know what a key fob is or how to use it. Can anyone help? I don't want to pay for a tow to the dealer...
Did you get this car started? I am having the same problem and don't know how to start the vehicle.
you do know that nobody has posted in this thread for 11 years right?

what issues are you having?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:09 AM
LaurieEbby

Yes, I did notice the posts were old but I didn't know where else to get help. My battery died, just from the car sitting. Now when I try to jump start it, the alarm goes off. I removed the battery and charged it, now when I connect it the alarm also goes off. I cannot start the car. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 AM
LaurieEbby

Originally Posted by travlee
you do know that nobody has posted in this thread for 11 years right?

what issues are you having?
Can you suggest where I could post this in order to get some responses? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you trying to start the car with the alarm still going off? If that is the case then the car won't start because the immobilizer is disabling the ignition.

Cars typically cannot be started when the alarm is going off.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Your Z must have come with a key remote (or FOB) with buttons to lock, unlock and open the rear hatch. Or are you simply using the key only?
Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Gunner Handl

Default My 06' Z won't start either!

I'm in the Army so I go out on training events fairly often. I came back from a 30 day long training event and when I went to start my 06' Z... the battery was dead. no big deal, right? so I had a friend jump me off and everything was working fine and dandy for the week. I went out to another training even (this one was only 5 days long) and when I came back my Z was dead yet again. I tried to jump it again off of the same friends car and it would read 12.9V with all of the electronics working properly but my Z wouldn't even turn over. no clicks, no ticks, nothing. I took the battery out and got it tested at a local O'reily's. Everything was fine with my battery. I reinstalled the same battery and immediately my alarm went off. I tried to start the car and the alarm went off again. Now the alarm will go off every time the key goes into the door and every time it goes into the ignition. I do not have a key fob (never got one) and I have tried physically locking, unlocking, relocking time and time again but the alarm won't go off until it's cycled through at least twice. Any ideas at all?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

How exactly did they test your battery?