Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Warrantee VIOLATORS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mykel
Browns Nissan in Fairfax is giving me a hard time as well. My car started making some "clank" noises recently and they blame it on the aftermarket springs that I've had on the car for about 3 weeks now. However, the car started making the noise about 2-3 days ago. They couldn't "find" the problem at first, and said it was because my Nismo exhaust wasn't hung correctly on the hanger. Charged me $50 to bend it when they never asked me to, and said because it is an aftermarket exhaust (one that they sell from Nissan however) it wouldn't be covered under warranty.
I left the lot thinking okay, I paid but I hope it fixed the problem, but low and behold, I hear the same "clank" sometimes when I turn the steering wheel and when my front goes over speed bumps. At high speeds also, I noticed that my car makes a rattling sound, like there is bolts or something in my car just rattling around. This sound was definitely not coming from my car before. One of the service writers at Browns told me to put my OEM springs back in and then bring it back.

I am paying for my car but put it under my dad's name for a lower interest rate on financing, so it's fair to assume I'm still young (21). Are they just throwing me in a loop because they don't want to deal with it?

Doesn't the person who actually performs the install on whatever mods you get have to warranty their work?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Gooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I take my car in, just because im asian or something, They always think I drive my car like "fast n furious" and they hesitate to work on the car. They tell me my driving style is abusive. I told them to F#!% off and start doing their job without racial profiling. Then I go back to the GM and finance manager (cousin and long time family friend) and make sure they watch what they say next time.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Ilov350ZEE

always a + when you have a family working at the dealer
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM
bigslim350Z

nissan service manager: "why does your car sound like an airplane?"
me: *shruggs*
Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 PM
350Zanniemal

Originally Posted by bigslim350Z
nissan service manager: "why does your car sound like an airplane?"
me: *shruggs*
hahha roflmao!!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Integrity
Banned

I had a vacuum leak caused by a loose bolt on my plenum spacer cause me to pop a code. Although the car was under warranty I had to pay the $100 diagnostic fee because it was caused by an aftermarket part. Fixed it myself and immediately bought a code reader.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:28 AM
MasterRacer

Damn talk about bringing a thread back from the DEAD!

Browns Fairfax Nissan is garbage, like most dealers. Sheehy Nissan of Manassas always gives me **** about my breather mods and what not
but I don't pay them much mind. I have noticed that my car tends to eat some oil about 1 qt every 3000 miles which to me is not normal since my car is not run very hard at all, or at least not on a consistant basis. They actually had the nerve to tell me that mods would void my warranty I was like wow, care to speak into the mic just one more time to make sure I got that??? lol Bunch of idiots working there, the funny thing is that theres a Nismo Z sitting right out front with after market parts alllll over it! JOY!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:31 AM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by mykel
I hear the same "clank" sometimes when I turn the steering wheel and when my front goes over speed bumps.
Crawl under the car and take a look at the power steering lines that run under the engine. They can get bent and rub against the engine / transmission. Easy way to check is when you've got the car sitting still in neutral - turn the steering wheel all the way over to the right / left. If you hear a pop / clank noise, then it's probably this...

Other than that, I'd check the springs and bump stops. What brand of springs did you buy? I know that Tein doesn't require you to cut the bump stops on a Z, but do on a G. Could just be something as simple as that.

As far as the dealership - unfortunately when you take something in for service and there's something related to the issue and ANY aftermarket part - the dealership is going to point a finger and tell you it's not covered. They don't make any money on warrantee jobs so they'll usually be quick to call it "aftermarket part related" if they can. Sucks, but no way around it.

Personal advice - if you're going to put aftermarket parts on your car, either be prepared to have a dedicated shop handle all of your automotive needs (at a cost), or be prepared to do your own work. The dealership only hears from me when I need a part that I don't feel like waiting for through the mail. Other than that, I'm a ghost to them.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 AM
mykel

The springs are Hotchkis and they didn't make any sounds for 2 weeks till now. I'll try out the things you said and am hoping that it is something that simple. I was also planning on just calling Function:Tuned to see what there opinion may be and whether I should bring my car in or not.

I just don't think it was right for the dealership to fix something totally unrelated to what I had originally brought the car in for, and make me pay for it. Especially since it wasn't something threatening to the car or me, just an uneven exhaust hanger.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 AM
TENGAI

Agreed. If ANYONE does ANYTHING to your car and expects you to pay for it without first consulting you of the actions and associated costs, you've got legal grounds to deny payment. It's like me bringing you an apple and expecting you to pay for it. You didn't ask for it, why should you get stuck with it???
Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said before, if they can prove what you did caused the problem then you're SOL.

you can do a ground up engine build making 1000WHP they wont cover anything powertrain wise if something breaks due the mods, however if your door panel falls off or your roof liner falls down, it's covered.

Alberto lost in the tranny war but I'm guessing at that time he was either boosted or did something that was clearly noticeable to the dealership.
Maybe 20 to many powershifts? lol =)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
mykel

I'm actually planning on filling a complaint against the dealer because the "fix" for the clank actually made things worse. I was driving and noticed some rattling after around 40-50 mph on the parkway. As I was about to pull over, something few off the bottom of my car. I look and I see something fly off. I pull the car over in a parking lot a little later and as I drive over some speedbumps, I hear some scraping sounds. Turns out, the techs at Nissan forgot to bolt on my body panel underneath the car and the left side one near the exhaust manifold was what flew off and was lost. My right side was dragging, and not only that, but my right signal light seems pushed in now, A LOT. I don't know what good filing a complaint will do, but negligence this is not what I expect from a dealer.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Akabir47

Stealerships blow muy nuts! They never listen and there costomer services suck! Dont go to rosenthal in tysons!

https://my350z.com/forum/mid-atlantic/299206-nightmare-at-the-stealership.html

Last edited by Akabir47; 09-07-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plumpzz
eat grass punk. If my seat breaks at 400 miles and i have headers, how can u say the two are related?
Header causes extra vibration, vibration makes the bolt for the seat loose and causes it to break? LOL.. I'm thinking too much. But I could imagine a stealership would actually tell you something like that.