Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Anyone notice the recent climb of racism towards koreans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:40 PM
jeffie7

Hey 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT can you help me with my supplies?

lol

I'm that young kid that lives in the high end apartment that has all the toys.
Z, TL, Bike all in perfect shape! I get all kinds of weird looks from people around here. There's no way I could have done this without dealing something on the side..... so some people think.

Even more so since I walk around with a Pizza shop work shirt.
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:48 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I just got back to Maryland from Albany, GA for a business trip. I was eating at a local restaurant with a few Caucasian co-workers. I guess since I was the only Asian he'd ever seen, the waiter came up and asked if we're from out of town. Since our company is in McLean, VA, We told him that we're from Virginia. Once the word "Virginia" poped out, the waitor looked at me and asked, "Are you Korean?"
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:53 PM
lek at ngc

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
I bet people call you "Idiot" or "Moron" a lot right? Take my advice - think before you talk.

As the the shootings - the media has yet again, done it's job to make it into a race thing. I was watching CNN and they kept saying "the Asian may walked into the classroom...the shooter was Asian...the Asian shooter and his Asian girlfriend blah blah..." It's going to be hard on us Asians for the next couple of weeks...
i really hope no one approaches me the wrong way... i do not and will not put up with racism.
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:58 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by Vick781
shhh te mochan los huevos
Mochan nada guey...chinga to putas.
Old 04-20-2007 | 10:08 PM
black06z

People are so stupid thinking about "race" in this issue. If they knew anything about S. Koreans, they would know that they are just like Americans other than the violence. Koreans are not violent, nor anything close to it. They may have tempers, but so does every other nationality.
S. Korea is the country that's closest to way of life in America other than England and Australia. Its a shame to think that another American could possibly throw in a "racial profile" in this type of crime and not know anything about that nationality.
Old 04-21-2007 | 06:08 AM
mykel

So from recent news, it seems as though because of the pictures that the shooter sent to NBC, they're blaming korean cinema for his acts on violence. Just because the kid decided to reference the movie "Old Boy." I love that movie! I heard rumors of it being remade into an American film because it was such a highly awarded and acclaimed film in Korea. I hope this doesn't change anything.

Beat bad guys with hammers ftw!
Old 04-21-2007 | 10:44 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman
Premier Member

Just wear orange and maroon and you'll be ok... :-/ :-)
Old 04-21-2007 | 12:16 PM
shimz350z

Originally Posted by mykel
I'm usually one to keep my voice silent, but I for one think things are getting a little out of hand. As a Korean-American who has lived in this country since birth, I find it very tragic that some individuals in society are blaming a race for one individuals problem.

Just because I am Korean does not mean I had anything to do with the shootings. Stop looking at me funny while I to go my car, or smoke a cigarette outside. I see parents pull their children away from my direction, people coming to my place of work and leaving after they see who I am, and acts of vandalism. Recently in Northern Virginia, a Korean bakery in Centreville (yes I understand that this is the area the shooter was from) was vandalized by bricks. Now this is where it gets a little personal. My mother owns a self cleaning carwash in the area, and goes promptly every morning to make sure everything is running. It would be hard to not know that she is the owner of the carwash. Now I wake up one morning to her calling me telling me that the wash has been vandalized. And for what? Because we share the same ethnicity as the shooter? Even the KKK demonstrated their hatred by shooting down a church in New York.

Mike (refuses to allow my race to become the media scapegoat for this incident.)
I'm only assuming this would most likely happen in areas/locations where the Asian/Asian American population is very very small. I could see a few things happening in Virginia but as far as the rest of the world...eh.

Are you in Virginia?

I'm in Cali and my brother is in Chicago. Nothing has changed unless one is interpreting things with an entirely different outlook(paranoia). It's just a terrible event.

It's normal for people to feel bittersweet towards an ethnicity NEAR the environment. This is one tragic event which isn't part of our so called negative stereotypes.

When 2 more Asian Americans do this...then I'm sure we'll see a lot more of what you are talking about.

Sorry about your mom's car wash...but keep in mind, it's not happening as much as you may think. IMHO
Old 04-21-2007 | 12:19 PM
shimz350z

Originally Posted by mykel
So from recent news, it seems as though because of the pictures that the shooter sent to NBC, they're blaming korean cinema for his acts on violence. Just because the kid decided to reference the movie "Old Boy." I love that movie! I heard rumors of it being remade into an American film because it was such a highly awarded and acclaimed film in Korea. I hope this doesn't change anything.

Beat bad guys with hammers ftw!

Blaming Korean Cinema ha ha.

r i d i c u l o u s

Now if he was killing them with hammers, sure, there would be more credibility to it the claim. Even if he was influenced by the film and killed people with a hammer, it still would be irrelevant because millions have already seen it this great film and haven't killed anyone.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:37 PM
b.d.racing

I still stand by my original statement.
Old 04-21-2007 | 03:49 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Leave the Korean people alone....

But burn down their horrible grade C sushi restaurant.
Old 04-21-2007 | 05:37 PM
black06z

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
Leave the Korean people alone....

But burn down their horrible grade C sushi restaurant.
Sushi? You're probably thinking Japanese. Although, some Korean shops may make their own style of sushi, but highly unlikely to have a sushi "restaurant" on the other hand.
Old 04-21-2007 | 07:31 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman
Premier Member

i just came back from a korean karaoke bar in annandale, va and they have a sign printed out and taped to the front door saying, in english and korean, something to the effect of "We at Virginia Tech and the rest of the Hokie community still support your business." including the black ribbon and VT logo
Old 04-21-2007 | 11:25 PM
mykel

Originally Posted by shimz350z
I'm only assuming this would most likely happen in areas/locations where the Asian/Asian American population is very very small. I could see a few things happening in Virginia but as far as the rest of the world...eh.

Are you in Virginia?

I'm in Cali and my brother is in Chicago. Nothing has changed unless one is interpreting things with an entirely different outlook(paranoia). It's just a terrible event.

It's normal for people to feel bittersweet towards an ethnicity NEAR the environment. This is one tragic event which isn't part of our so called negative stereotypes.

When 2 more Asian Americans do this...then I'm sure we'll see a lot more of what you are talking about.

Sorry about your mom's car wash...but keep in mind, it's not happening as much as you may think. IMHO
Yeah I'm from Virginia, in an area highly populated with Koreans too. I think your right when you say it's not happening much. I don't think it's happening much at all IMHO. Just enough to see notice. It was funny, my friends and I were out at Tattoo, the korean bar in annandale/springfield area earlier today after HIN, and we see a car drive up and yell ****ing koreans. Even with a few of my friends representing the Vtech sweatshirts cause they were up from tech this week. We look to see who it is, and it turns out it's our other friends messing around with us. It's actually become an inside joke
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:58 PM
Armando

I feel what your saying bro but what can you do. Life must go on and hopefully people will move on in time.
Old 04-22-2007 | 09:16 PM
dcmaxclub

Originally Posted by black06z
Sushi? You're probably thinking Japanese. Although, some Korean shops may make their own style of sushi, but highly unlikely to have a sushi "restaurant" on the other hand.

I often see Koreans working at or owning sushi restaurants. My favorite local sushi restaurant is owned by a Korean. (and its not horrible btw )
Old 04-22-2007 | 09:24 PM
shimz350z

Originally Posted by black06z
Obviously

BUT

Many sushi restaurants in the states are owned by Koreans.