Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Has anyone raced a Mustang GT yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:51 AM
C My Tails 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max2000JP, Im assuming that was a joke by the but if you were serious Id be willing to purchase that if the price is right. Best price Ive found was 625k and I was planning on jumping on it... but the guy decided he had to have that car.

Guys look here is how it is with the 350Z's. They are not performance kings, but they do have alot of street performance. They are luxurious, quick, new, and an all around fun car to drive. The styling is controversial but many people are in love with it. All of these are very positive points, but the fact remains that other cars will beat you in both road courses, 1/4, and 1/8 mile. I was the same way about my first car back in '90. My parents bought me a Trans Am and I was excited beyond belief. In all that excitement I convinced myself that my new car was the king of the road. I wanted to race this and that, and I won alot of races, but then I lost alot too and realized that I was not in fact the fastest car on the road.

The 350Z is a new car, its beautiful, and still has alot of time to see what its capable of. The owners havent yet had time to realize that they are not the fastest in any category on the road, and that in performance alone cars like the new V8's (mainly LS1 Trans Am and Camaros) are in a category well beyond theirs. Again, ripping on your car I am not as I think they look great and drive pretty well. All I am saying is that in time most of you will realize you bought the car for what it is (somewhat luxury, nice looking, new) rather than for sheer performance. I like this smiley so I will use it now
Old 01-15-2003, 12:34 PM
SpyVO

Originally posted by max2000jp
Mustangs handle like **** from the factory, even Cobras. and in the end you are still driving a Mustang. The SN95 chassis dates back to the mid-late 70s so it needs a lot of work to make it perform well.

Second, you have a problem with reading comprehension. In the above posts you stated that the S2k was faster around the road course per C&D. Re-read it again and you will find that the Z is the fastest of the comparo.

Handle like ****? Even SVOs, '03 Cobras and Cobra Rs? I'm still skeptical, since there are a LOT of different Mustangs out there. By saying 'in the end it's still a Mustang' it shows that you're maybe a little biased against them to begin with. It's the FOX chassis that came from 78, not the SN95. And by a lot of work, do you mean like adding an IRS or something like that?

You ARE right about the C&D comparo, though. While the Z was first, the S2000, Mach 1 (the only car in the comparo with a solid axle) and 350Z were all within 1.1 seconds of each other on the track. That would make the margin between GOOD and **** pretty darn small.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:23 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys can name me ONE measure of performance besides pure straight line acceleration and top speed that the F-Body OR Mustang has over the 350Z...I will shut up...otherwise you guys should can it.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:31 PM
max2000jp

Originally posted by SpyVO
Handle like ****? Even SVOs, '03 Cobras and Cobra Rs? I'm still skeptical, since there are a LOT of different Mustangs out there. By saying 'in the end it's still a Mustang' it shows that you're maybe a little biased against them to begin with. It's the FOX chassis that came from 78, not the SN95. And by a lot of work, do you mean like adding an IRS or something like that?
They do handle like ****....How did the Cobra R come into this? The SN95 is a modified version of the FOX and still shares a lot of basic architecture that was present in the late 70s. Adding a lot of work to the suspension means tires/rims, brakes, all the necessary bracing, spring, shocks, etc. I wont even tell you what a full race suspension would cost. It all adds up!
Old 01-15-2003, 02:33 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

BTW: C MY TAILS 350Z, you are SO full of crap that it's coming out your ears.

You're grammer and sentence structure suggests that you have no higher than a high school education. You state that your PARENTS bought you a Trans Am in 1990, yet your birthday is August 1, 1930.

First of all, if you were 59-60 (in 1990) years old, why would your parents (who would probably be dead anyway) be buying you a car? And if you are 72 years old now, why are you hanging around on internet forums. If I was your age and had enough money to buy a BENTLEY, I would have a butler to hang around internet forums and act like a dumb kid for me.

Now before you go and claim that you mis-typed your birth year in your profile (which you probably did....and it also probably wasn't an accident) think about how much BS you've already spewed, bite your lip, and SHUT THE F UP!
Old 01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
StockLT1

Ever heard of a 1LE f-body? Go look up some SCCA results, you'll see them all over the place. F-bodies are faster around a road course than most people think, probably faster than a 350Z. The SS and Ws6 models have upgraded suspension, and the 1LE was intended to mop up the factory stock class it runs in, which it did.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:00 PM
C My Tails 350Z

I was born in '72.. May 26th to be exact, sorry that I didnt pay attention to what I put on my birthday, I hope I didnt offend you. Its an online forum... I dont think I have to use proper sentence structures or grammar on an online forum. I dont care if you believe me, at the end of the day I come home to my gorgeous wife, decent home, and car collection you can only dream of. Im sorry that you cant have my life and you have to call it BS, truly I am.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:03 PM
Caswell

That's not possible StockLT1. You see, guy goes out and buys new car. Guys races "inferior" car at stop light or at track and loses. Guy convinces himself that if other car is faster in a straight line, his car must handle better on race tracks he will most likely never visit. Guy freaks when someone implies that other car has comparable handling, and starts babbling about interior, number of cylinders, hp/liter, vaporware modifications, etc.

Seriously though, handling on a road course is of subjective importance vs. the other aspects of driving a circuit. I grew up around the SCCA and in the WKA, and I can tell you that on a road course you need a balance of straight line speed, cornering, and braking. I've both won and lost races where I was eating guys alive under braking and/or in corners but having them walk me on the straights and long sweepers. Vice versa as well.

Besides, a good driver can overcome just about any deficiency in a car's handling. Myself, all I ask for is a car with predictable handling. As for showing some spec or benchmark that shows a Mustang or F-Car can corner at the level of a 350Z, I'm not going to look. I try not to magazine race if at all possible. I suggest if you're really that concerned you head to your local track day and see if you eat up those F-Cars like you think you will.

Last edited by Caswell; 01-15-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:03 PM
SpyVO

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
If you guys can name me ONE measure of performance besides pure straight line acceleration and top speed that the F-Body OR Mustang has over the 350Z...I will shut up...otherwise you guys should can it.
Actually, the Z has a higher top speed than the Mach 1, I think, since the Mach is governed. And I'm willing to bet that a Camaro SS would run a Z on a road course and in sheer braking. Although the fact that they don't MAKE those any more doesn't help much, it does NOT mean you're not going to run into a ton of them.

Originally posted by max2000jp
They do handle like ****....How did the Cobra R come into this? The SN95 is a modified version of the FOX and still shares a lot of basic architecture that was present in the late 70s. Adding a lot of work to the suspension means tires/rims, brakes, all the necessary bracing, spring, shocks, etc. I wont even tell you what a full race suspension would cost. It all adds up!
Errrr....you said Mustangs handle like ****, and well, the Cobra R is a Mustang. If you're using terms like that, I'd say that you're having a hard time being objective, and that there's a LOT of factory Mustangs you may not be familiar with.

And although the SN95 is a derivative of the FOX chassis, was the SN95 chassis around in the 70's? NO. It was NOT. Who said anything about needing a full-race suspension? PLEASE tell me you think a Z would school an '03 Cobra in ANY event. MAYBE straightline braking, but who says, "I'll stop before ya! Ready? GO!" I guess all Mustangs have shitty brakes, too.

I know you guys like your cars a whole lot (I like them too!), but it's not 1970 anymore. Mustangs and Camaros can turn and stop very well.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:13 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by StockLT1
Ever heard of a 1LE f-body? Go look up some SCCA results, you'll see them all over the place. F-bodies are faster around a road course than most people think, probably faster than a 350Z. The SS and Ws6 models have upgraded suspension, and the 1LE was intended to mop up the factory stock class it runs in, which it did.
I'm not talking about driving around cones in parking lots. I've seen f-bodies run around road courses, and frankly from what I've seen they handle like pigs, I'm sorry but the f-body just doesn't have the combination figured out for running around a road course. It's got a live rear axle, soft suspension (even with the SS or WS6 package), and numb steering feel. I won't even go into how much the brakes blow.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:19 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Caswell
That's not possible StockLT1. You see, guy goes out and buys new car. Guys races "inferior" car at stop light or at track and loses. Guy convinces himself that if other car is faster in a straight line, his car must handle better on race tracks he will most likely never visit. Guy freaks when someone implies that other car has comparable handling, and starts babbling about interior, number of cylinders, hp/liter, vaporware modifications, etc.

Seriously though, handling on a road course is of subjective importance vs. the other aspects of driving a circuit. I grew up around the SCCA and in the WKA, and I can tell you that on a road course you need a balance of straight line speed, cornering, and braking. I've both won and lost races where I was eating guys alive under braking and/or in corners but having them walk me on the straights and long sweepers. Vice versa as well.

Besides, a good driver can overcome just about any deficiency in a car's handling. Myself, all I ask for is a car with predictable handling. As for showing some spec or benchmark that shows a Mustang or F-Car can corner at the level of a 350Z, I'm not going to look. I try not to magazine race if at all possible. I suggest if you're really that concerned you head to your local track day and see if you eat up those F-Cars like you think you will.
go drive your f-body...and take some turns, then go test drive a Z and take the same turns, and you'll see what I mean. I can't explain it on the FREAKING internet...the Z is SO MUCH MORE WELL balanced in a racing situation it's not even funny. Why do you think Chevy makes the Corvette?!?! The f-body was NEVER meant for road racing, and on tracks where handling and braking are king, like Gingerman, Michigan or Road America, Wisconsin, the Z will literally eat an F-body alive.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by C My Tails 350Z
I was born in '72.. May 26th to be exact, sorry that I didnt pay attention to what I put on my birthday, I hope I didnt offend you. Its an online forum... I dont think I have to use proper sentence structures or grammar on an online forum. I dont care if you believe me, at the end of the day I come home to my gorgeous wife, decent home, and car collection you can only dream of. Im sorry that you cant have my life and you have to call it BS, truly I am.
You actually want me to believe that you are 30 years old and own those cars....riiight. You are pathetic....
Old 01-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Caswell

We'll see. The 350Z got classified T2 for SCCA club racing. If it's so hot of a setup and does eat up the Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs, then it souldn't be long until they start to dominate. Then again, the 300ZX was T2, but you don't see those winning, now do you? Wonder why?

http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_rac...s/t2-race.html
Old 01-15-2003, 05:45 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Caswell
We'll see. The 350Z got classified T2 for SCCA club racing. If it's so hot of a setup and does eat up the Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs, then it souldn't be long until they start to dominate. Then again, the 300ZX was T2, but you don't see those winning, now do you? Wonder why?

http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_rac...s/t2-race.html

First of all the 300ZX and the 350Z are COMPLETELY different cars. Second of all, I never said anything about driving around cones in a parking lot. How about REAL racing.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:45 PM
StockLT1

BriGuy, the Z28 was designed specifically for road racing. Thats why they put a 302 in it so it could get under the 305 ci limit in the Trans Am series at the time. Chevy built it so they could meet the requirements for X number produced the Trans Am series required. SCCA also does a lot more than auto-X. F-bodies aren't that good for auto-X, they don't have room to stretch their legs and they're too heavy for the sharp transistional stuff on an auto-X course. They more than hold their own around a road course though, just go look up the factory stock classes that are run on real road courses, not auto-X. I don't know where these myths come from. If the F-body can't handle why is it at or near the top of its class that includes M3's, supras, etc...?
Old 01-15-2003, 05:50 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by StockLT1
BriGuy, the Z28 was designed specifically for road racing. Thats why they put a 302 in it so it could get under the 305 ci limit in the Trans Am series at the time. Chevy built it so they could meet the requirements for X number produced the Trans Am series required. SCCA also does a lot more than auto-X. F-bodies aren't that good for auto-X, they don't have room to stretch their legs and they're too heavy for the sharp transistional stuff on an auto-X course. They more than hold their own around a road course though, just go look up the factory stock classes that are run on real road courses, not auto-X. I don't know where these myths come from. If the F-body can't handle why is it at or near the top of its class that includes M3's, supras, etc...?

ok..this is getting COMPLETELY pointless. You know what...I really don't care what a friggen f-body can do. Why do you think there are so many FORMER f-body owners that now have Zs on this board???

And once and for all...WTF is with all the f-body TROLLS on here? There are more of YOU on here than 350Z owners for christ's sake.....
Old 01-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Caswell

First of all the 300ZX and the 350Z are COMPLETELY different cars. Second of all, I never said anything about driving around cones in a parking lot. How about REAL racing.
LMFAO!!!

If you know so much about "REAL racing" you should know that the SCCA runoffs has nothing to do with autoX. I'm sorry if you think the culmination of a season of road racing on some of America's premiere tracks such as Road Atlanta, Road America, and Mid-Ohio (home of the Runoffs BTW) is akin to driving around cones in a parking lot. That's frickin' hilarious! From comments like these it's pretty obvious the closest you've come to road racing is playing Grand Turismo on your older brother's Playstation. So please, if road racing against fields of 25+ drivers isn't "REAL racing", please enlighten me as to what is

Sorry you think I'm a troll. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a troll. If you really want to know, I check out this board (along with a few other non-LS1 boards) because I admire the cars they're set up for. I lurk, never consider posting a kill against the car whose board I'm visiting, and generally keep my mouth shut. I chimed in on you because you were basically spreading unfounded, uninformed slander. Sounds like you're more of a troll than me. But you've still got me cracking up over calling the Runoffs "driving around cones in a parking lot" - thanks for the laughs, troll.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:33 PM
max2000jp

Originally posted by SpyVO
Err....you said Mustangs handle like ****, and well, the Cobra R is a Mustang. If you're using terms like that, I'd say that you're having a hard time being objective, and that there's a LOT of factory Mustangs you may not be familiar with.

And although the SN95 is a derivative of the FOX chassis, was the SN95 chassis around in the 70's? NO. It was NOT. Who said anything about needing a full-race suspension? PLEASE tell me you think a Z would school an '03 Cobra in ANY event. MAYBE straightline braking, but who says, "I'll stop before ya! Ready? GO!" I guess all Mustangs have shitty brakes, too.

I know you guys like your cars a whole lot (I like them too!), but it's not 1970 anymore. Mustangs and Camaros can turn and stop very well.
The Cobra R for how much it costs ISNT IMPRESSIVE. Chevy offers a much better package called the Z06, which will mop up on a R for less money and more comfort. A 03 Cobra would have a hard time loosing a 350Z on a tight road course. The SN95 uses 1970s technology/engineering therefore it was around and is obselete. Thats why I say Mustangs handle like ****. I did a lot of research on Stangs and am quite familiar of what it takes to make it become a competent performer at the track. It would cost more money to make a GT perform similar to a stock Z. You would need a Steeda Stage III or comparable suspension kit(theres tons to choose from) to make a GT handle similar to a Z. In addition brakes, tires, and rims need to be addressed.

Obviously you need to get to a track to learn something. Brakes are key to running quick laps.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:37 PM
C My Tails 350Z

You actually want me to believe that you are 30 years old and own those cars....riiight. You are pathetic....
Honestly, I dont want you to believe anything and this is my last post on this subject. But yes, I do own these cars. I finished a 14 year degree (including residency) in 10 years and have spent the last three building my wealth. Only two of my cars are completely paid off and if you take any two of my cars prices together they are worth well over that of my home. Cars are my passion and thats why I have them. Im sensing a bit of jealousy on your part. Whats wrong, am I younger and more successful than you? Did all your ambitions fall through? Again, please dont respond to this as Im not good at ignoring people and Im sick of arguing over the internet like a retard.

Moderators, sorry for wasting your space with this arguement, and to the guy arguing with me, please take it to PM's if you want to talk more.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:50 PM
max2000jp

[QUOTE]Originally posted by C My Tails 350Z
[B]Honestly, I dont want you to believe anything and this is my last post on this subject. But yes, I do own these cars. I finished a 14 year degree (including residency) in 10 years and have spent the last three building my wealth. Only two of my cars are completely paid off and if you take any two of my cars prices together they are worth well over that of my home. Cars are my passion and thats why I have them. Im sensing a bit of jealousy on your part. Whats wrong, am I you

Quick Reply: Has anyone raced a Mustang GT yet?