Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Has anyone raced a Mustang GT yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:33 AM
lyonsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ChicagoEZ
Damn traction control allowed him to get 1 1/2 cars ahead, then he got in my lane as to say Cya but i noticed i was pullin on him a tad garunteed it was mabout 1.3 mph i switched into the passing lane and crept past him ohh so slow he finnaly let off when my nose past his, we were going prob 108-110.

NOW I KNOW FOR SURE THAT A Z WILL BEAT BEAT BEAT A 01 COBRA, if you dont beleive me go out and find one to race

GO OUT AND RACE A COBRA YOU WILL WIN HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
IN YOUR FACE BOOSTED HAHAHAHAHAHa
Congratulations. However if you were going 108-110 when you finally passed him, then you've gone further than a ¼-mile. So if you were on a drag strip, he'd have gotten the "win" light.

Also keep in mind most street races are less than a ¼-mile. So if you happened to get lined up with a '01 Cobra at a stop light, then you'd better have a lot of empty road ahead if you are planning on running him down.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:36 AM
pearl demon

Originally posted by ChicagoEZ
Damn traction control allowed him to get 1 1/2 cars ahead, then he got
in my lane as to say Cya but i noticed i was pullin on him a tad
garunteed it was mabout 1.3 mph i switched into the passing lane and
crept past him ohh so slow he finnaly let off when my nose past his, we
were going prob 108-110.

NOW I KNOW FOR SURE THAT A Z WILL BEAT BEAT BEAT A 01 COBRA,
if you dont beleive me go out and find one to race

GO OUT AND RACE A COBRA YOU WILL WIN HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
IN YOUR FACE BOOSTED HAHAHAHAHAHa
damn, what are you 12?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:48 AM
ChicagoEZ

yup 12 and a half

isnt it sweet that my loaded pops bizzzought me this car, and i cant even leagely drive yet, but he says its ok cuz he is so filthy stinky rich he will just pay off the traffic court!

So im not really worried, he knows my dad that is how much i think fast cars are neat VRooooooom Vrooooooom
Old 12-24-2002, 07:02 AM
ELS1

pre 03 cobras are a joke guys! i can take them in my z28 with lid by a few cars from a roll & stop...but a 350z taking one...i really doubt it UNLESS the driver couldnt drive.

now for the 350z vs Mustang GT...well umm it should be close...its all driver dependant.

Last edited by ELS1; 12-24-2002 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:08 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will racing against.............
Acura NSX 3.0 and 3.2
Audi S4
Porsche 996 and 993
Pontiac Formula firebird
Mustang Cobra R 1995
Mustang SVT 2001
Mustang SVT 2003
Camaro SS
BMW M3 pick a year
Old 12-24-2002, 11:14 AM
pearl demon

Originally posted by dwnshift
We will racing against.............
Acura NSX 3.0 and 3.2
Audi S4
Porsche 996 and 993
Pontiac Formula firebird
Mustang Cobra R 1995
Mustang SVT 2001
Mustang SVT 2003
Camaro SS
BMW M3 pick a year
Acura NSX 3.0 and 3.2 - lose to 3.2
Audi S4 - good run
Porsche 996 and 993 - ehhh
Pontiac Formula firebird - your dead
Mustang Cobra R 1995 - dunno
Mustang SVT 2001 - edge you out
Mustang SVT 2003 - your dead
Camaro SS - your dead
BMW M3 pick a year - 02+ your dead
Old 12-24-2002, 11:21 AM
dwnshift

Also refering to real racing..Grand Am cup........3 hour enduros not a drag strip
Old 12-24-2002, 11:45 AM
Rock

I was watching some speed vision and saw a race (long). As far as I could tell there was one 350z (white) and whole bunch of older Nissans against Porsche's, Vette's, Audi, BMW M3's, and Mustang's. They didn't show a lot of the 350z and in the end I think it came 6th in it's class. I was hoping to see some a$$ kicking from the 350z but I was a little dissapointed. I got pissed and took my CS Touring out and raced against anybody that would race me on the freeway. I love my 350z.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:46 PM
wadd3456

I have been to the track and I HAVE run mustangs. Good ole Newnan GA has nothing BUT MUSTANGS. There are more mustangs then GRASS in this town. No disrespect to the car, Im just saying. Everyone i meet says "yeah its nice, but can it beat a mustang" What a vauge *** question.

I ran a done up cobra (sounded mean as heck) in the 1/8th in my Avenger. Sprayed a 100shot, fried my electrical system, lost power and STILL beat him. Venges BEST recorded time ever was a 13.9 (1/4 obviously) so apparently it really depends on the driver.

As far as GT's are concerned, thats a really WIDE subject. Parts are so cheap and so availabe that its hard to find a stock GT thats racing. Everyone you see has "something" done to it. The best ive seen a mildly modded GT do is 14.0 flat. I randomly hear about 13.8s but have not seen it first hand. YES there are REALLY fast GT's and Cobras but there are also really fast CIVICS and Focus's for crying out loud.

You can build a GT for about 15bux and a pack of cigs. Cheap power is good power though
Old 12-25-2002, 05:45 AM
rktjhn

Default HAd a 99 Cobra

I had a 99 Cobra, with basic bolt on stuff I got 300 RWHP and 297 TQ. I was told that was on the high side for what work I had done by the dyno guru. He had an overhaul he could do to get 380 RWHP for about 7K or go S/C and get more.
I know a guy with a 98 that had 497 RWHP and with a rollcage, a secure road, etc could run a top speed of 194 and averaged just under 175 MPH for 90 miles, with mine I could run into low 170's and average 150 MPH. We both used FRP 3.73 RE, mine would run about 5300 or so at 155, with a redline at 6800. In the 99 I ran and finished 20 Open Road Races, winning most of them and always finished in the top 5.
As for 1/4 mile the 99 sucks bigtime, with the suspension I had, I was NOT getting any weight transfer, so I just sit there and spin, at 4200 ft elevation I would get a time of around 15 something and a speed of 102-105.
A stock 4.6 Cobra will put out around 250-260 RWHP, and a stock GT will put out around 220RWHP, but has a redline around 5800.
In stock form the Z will out handle the Ford, Cobra or GT, hands down. Wanna race? Show up at an AutoX and some guy in a Beat old Celica that knows what he is doing will hand you your a**, Show up at an Open Road race and I will hand you your A**, show up at a light and I hope some cop hands you something else, then cuffs you. save the "racing" for a proper track, or a secure closed highway at a sanctioned event.
Here are some sites, www.silverstateclassic.com , www.openroadracing.com , www.BBORR.org , and VHCHillclimb.org or check out the local SCCA events and really learn how to drive, then go brag about something ans show off your trophies!
Old 12-25-2002, 05:53 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by wadd3456
I have been to the track and I HAVE run mustangs. Good ole Newnan GA has nothing BUT MUSTANGS. There are more mustangs then GRASS in this town. No disrespect to the car, Im just saying. Everyone i meet says "yeah its nice, but can it beat a mustang" What a vauge *** question.

I ran a done up cobra (sounded mean as heck) in the 1/8th in my Avenger. Sprayed a 100shot, fried my electrical system, lost power and STILL beat him. Venges BEST recorded time ever was a 13.9 (1/4 obviously) so apparently it really depends on the driver.

As far as GT's are concerned, thats a really WIDE subject. Parts are so cheap and so availabe that its hard to find a stock GT thats racing. Everyone you see has "something" done to it. The best ive seen a mildly modded GT do is 14.0 flat. I randomly hear about 13.8s but have not seen it first hand. YES there are REALLY fast GT's and Cobras but there are also really fast CIVICS and Focus's for crying out loud.

You can build a GT for about 15bux and a pack of cigs. Cheap power is good power though
Old 12-25-2002, 12:21 PM
JZC

Just my two cents.

If power is the only thing you're worried about you can get pretty powerful cars, with chintyz interiors, and other cheap things.

Now the Z's interior is not the best by ANY stretch but it's better than alot out there.

Domestics just aren't for me.

I feel Mustangs peaked years ago as far as looks go. They used to look bad ***. Be bad ***. IMO I honestly think of Mustangs now as female cars(no offense to females, but the car just doesn't look manly), they have a certain feminance(Hell if I know if that's a word ) to them. Just doesn't evoke "Bad ***" when I see them....I dunno just my opinion.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:00 AM
stiv

Hey guys:

This has been an interesting thread, to say the least. I own a Track model with 427 miles on the clock. I love the car and will probably end up racing a Mustang at some point (after the motor's broken-in) but it doesn't really matter if I win or lose.

I have, however, raced my friend's 2000 GT coupe on about a half dozen occasions in my daily driver (1988 Toyota All Trac Celica Turbo). My All Trac has a built motor (3SGTE) with an upgrade on the stock turbo, a boost controller, ECU upgrade and a full 3" exhaust system (with a high flow cat). I'm generally at 14-16 psi when I race... My friend's GT is a totally stock 5 speed, running UltraFlo mufflers. I've beaten him every time and it's not even close. Needless to say, he refuses to race me now... But I realize that there are a lot of FAST Mustangs out there and I totally respect that fact. That's why I never race random Mustangs or Camaros at stoplights...

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-29-2002, 04:21 PM
zogan

Why are we even taking the time to talk about mustangs. They will never be in the same leage as the Z. I pulled up next to one, guy ask me if I was driving "daddy's car", so I asked him if he was driving "Mommy's Car". Mustangs are a dime a dozen, look at them, it is something you buy your 16 year old daughter for xmas. They are in the same leage as a Camaro or Grand-AM even. The Z is inovative and original. Now I am mad I have just waisted one minute of my time writing this dumb thread.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:45 AM
CottonWoodz

Default Re: 2000 cobra?

Originally posted by 350zeater
Yeah boosted stang your right there are NO 2000 cobra's so whoever said that is full of it. Why dont you go race a new cobra...........lol it will beat you like your standing still and then some
And they will beat your T/A like it was in reverse ,and then some..
Old 01-01-2003, 04:33 PM
CrazyBosnian

Default Re: Re: 2000 cobra?

Originally posted by CottonWoodz
And they will beat your T/A like it was in reverse ,and then some..
Wont beat my TA, unless its got some mods!!!

Quick Reply: Has anyone raced a Mustang GT yet?