Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Ran two mustangs 1994 and 2002. Plus ran w/ C5 50th anv.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 11:16 AM
zogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran two mustangs 1994 and 2002. Plus ran w/ C5 50th anv.

Last night my wife and I took our Z out to go cruise on strip here in the City, and my father n law brought his 50th C5 (auto) w/ only 800miles. We started from roll and the Z jumped on him at first, then he slowly creeped up and passed us. I stoped about 90. Then on my way home, two mustangs tried to challenge me. The first was black 1994 looking GT, the reason I say that is b/c the Tail lights were vertical, not horizontal (which they changed in 1995 I believe). He started the race w/ his down shift, then I pulled on him the whole way after that, didn't even consider it a real contest. Then I raced another red 2001 mustang (guy claimed it was 2001, w/ exhaust, headers, and had too much to mention). We both had a clean launches and were about even until second, I pulled a little, got about a 1 1/2 cars a head, then shut it down about 100-110mph. We ran 2 more times after that from a roll, and I showed gains each time. We both gave each other the thumbs up and went off on our own ways. I was surprised the Z could keep up w/ the C5/ls1 as close as it did, I only have flowmaster 80/ no resonator, and K&N, so basically no mods. I think from dead stop, the C5 could prob. take me easily, I guess I will find out soon enough.

EDIT: none of these guys had mullets

Last edited by zogan; 02-23-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:13 PM
brandboZ28

Nice kills. The automatic really hurt the Vette but that is impressive none the less. The Mustangs had the horizontal tail lights in 94 and 95. They can be built to be strong but they werent much from the factory. The 01 GT should have been a great race. Good runs.

Bo
Old 02-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Michael-Dallas

Default Re: Ran two mustangs 1994 and 2002. Plus ran w/ C5 50th anv.

Originally posted by zogan
Last night my wife and I took our Z out to go cruise on strip here in the City, and my father n law brought his 50th C5 (auto) w/ only 800miles. We started from roll and the Z jumped on him at first, then he slowly creeped up and passed us.
Now that's what I call a break-in!

From my experience, LS-1's will start to pull away at 3rd gear and it's progressively worst after that.

Michael.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Inova

its not surprising that you would walk from mustangs. good job. if it was up to me i would not even attempt to race a vette but hey it was someone u knew so thats cool
Old 02-23-2003, 01:54 PM
zogan

Originally posted by Inova
its not surprising that you would walk from mustangs. good job. if it was up to me i would not even attempt to race a vette but hey it was someone u knew so thats cool
I felt the same way, he has had 3 different c5's. I used to beat him in my supra TT all the time. This is the first time I ran him in my 350z, and that was his first time to get on his vett. I wanted to see what the Z could do.

When I was looking for my 350Z, he went w/ us in his 2000 vett which at the time had 3000 mile on it, He ended up buying a car instead of me, which is his 50th anv. vett. Then around 600 miles he noticed there was something wrong w/ his engine--to make a long story short, they replaced the whole engine, which his new one only has 800miles on. This was his first time to WOT on his new engine. Luckily chevy paid for all of his parts and labor, and even paid a month of his payment, for the month it was in the shop.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:15 PM
brandboZ28

Default Re: Re: Ran two mustangs 1994 and 2002. Plus ran w/ C5 50th anv.

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
From my experience, LS-1's will start to pull away at 3rd gear and it's progressively worst after that.

I can vouch for every bit of that!

Bo
Old 02-23-2003, 02:36 PM
TRMach1

I sure hope you eventually woke up from that dream! I'd sure like to know where all these monster Z cars are when I'm on the street, because so far the 4 that I've encountered can just barely keep up with a stock Mustang GT, let alone a C5 Vette (yeah, right).
Old 02-23-2003, 02:58 PM
zogan

Originally posted by TRMach1
I sure hope you eventually woke up from that dream! I'd sure like to know where all these monster Z cars are when I'm on the street, because so far the 4 that I've encountered can just barely keep up with a stock Mustang GT, let alone a C5 Vette (yeah, right).
Well first off TRmach1, I wasn't claiming that I beat the C5, if you read, it did beat me. As for the mustang, they don't even compare to the Z.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:06 PM
integrate

Barely keep up with a Mustang GT? I hope you're kidding.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:25 PM
02silverstanger

Cool Finally got a chance to race a Z

Well now in at least my mind ..I can put this whole debate to rest...I ran into one of your Z breathern out on the streat

Here is how it went:

at green We both launched fairly decent I shot out with my front bumper ahead of the Z's...I then shifted to second where I pulled about a car on him... I was happy so far...but was still waiting to see what happened after I went to third since everyone on here calims that that is when the Z starts to dominate....and I will give the Z credit, right as I was about to shift to third the Z started to take back some of that on car that I had on him but once I got into third it was all over we shut it down at about 110 MPH..with me being about 2 cars ahead of him we then pulled into the gas station that was nearby to talk about the race...we gave each other props and went our separate ways..I am willin to bet that he took the loss better then half the people on this forum would have though
Old 02-23-2003, 03:30 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your on the wrong coast to race a Z
Old 02-23-2003, 03:33 PM
zogan

Default Re: Finally got a chance to race a Z

Originally posted by 02silverstanger
Well now in at least my mind ..I can put this whole debate to rest...I ran into one of your Z breathern out on the streat

Here is how it went:

at green We both launched fairly decent I shot out with my front bumper ahead of the Z's...I then shifted to second where I pulled about a car on him... I was happy so far...but was still waiting to see what happened after I went to third since everyone on here calims that that is when the Z starts to dominate....and I will give the Z credit, right as I was about to shift to third the Z started to take back some of that on car that I had on him but once I got into third it was all over we shut it down at about 110 MPH..with me being about 2 cars ahead of him we then pulled into the gas station that was nearby to talk about the race...we gave each other props and went our separate ways..I am willin to bet that he took the loss better then half the people on this forum would have though
Anything can happen on the streets, it just so happened that it was in Z favor durring my race, and the mustang gave me thumbs up for the kill. The 2001 race was a lot closer then I intended. I will admit that there is always going to be a car faster and better, I found that out when I got beat by a modded SS in my Supra TT. I like the Z, I it like better then my old supra TT and all of my car's in the past, regardless of its speed. You can always make a car faster.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:45 PM
JZC

Mustang GT and 350Z are really different cars.

A friend of mine has a black GT 01' and let me drive it and I'll admit they ride rough as hell. But hey it's a sports car they're supposed to right?

I'm also spoiled with the short throw of the Z cause' I wasn't too taken with the GT's.

Anyway, my brother who is a much better driver than I wanted to race my friend in his GT. I've read these are considered equal so I was anxious to see, anyway we raced and my bro floored him.

We stomped him (I went along for the ride) because he can't really drive stick that well so alot of your street races are going to depend on the driver.

A huge percent of street races are driving ability.

Remember not everyone with a sports car is a pro driver.

I'll be the first to tell you I'm not, I'm pretty good but have alot to learn. It's like a quote I heard:

"It's not what you have, it's how you use what you have."

Edit - How's that Mach 1 doing? I loved the old ones to death and I've been itching to peek inside the new ones.

Last edited by JZC; 02-23-2003 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:31 PM
TRMach1

Send your bro up my way, 'cause all the z drivers up here must be really **** poor drivers. And the Mach 1 is doing great, even better than the original 1970 that I used to own way back in 1972!
Attached Thumbnails Ran two mustangs 1994 and 2002.  Plus ran w/ C5 50th anv.-regphoto4.jpg  
Old 02-23-2003, 09:13 PM
JZC

Very nice looking ride, don't like it as well as the originals though.

I'm just not too fond of the body styling of the Stangs'.

Although the retro looking new one is looking great.

Haha, do you know how much of a loser I would look like if I asked my bro to race some guy on the internet?

I'd never live it down.

We're both pretty laid back, I am more than he. He just raced because my pal would not let it die. I kept telling him to check the size of his manhood everytime he asked me.

Fast machines don't impress me, now that Joe Eigo guy in the Off-topic forum really does! Doing stuff like that is really what impresses me, maipulating your body to do great things!

Your body is the greatest vehicle there is!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=20455

Seriously, check that out. He's amazing.

I'm picking up his book first chance I get.

Last edited by JZC; 02-23-2003 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:40 AM
jester

I do find the claims of Zs beating 99+ Mustangs interesting also. While yes, I do agree that anything can happen on the street...I've seen some claims of many car lengths between the Z and Mustang (Z's favor).... Just think it is intresting and questionable.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:36 AM
DarkKnight

TRMach1,
is your time posted with no mods? if so, i am very impressed. i really liked what ford did with the mach 1's, except for the rims. for once, ford made a car that sits nicely between the gt and the cobra. there idea with the bullit was not too impresive, as it was not noticibly faster than the gt, imo.
looking forward to running a mach 1, and a z. i think both cars are great.

Robert
2000 NBM WS6
M6, MTI Clear Lid, !Cags
Eibach, Tokico, Hotchkis RLCA
No Dyno/Track Time Yet
Old 02-24-2003, 10:57 AM
TRMach1

Originally posted by DarkKnight
TRMach1,
is your time posted with no mods? if so, i am very impressed. i really liked what ford did with the mach 1's, except for the rims. for once, ford made a car that sits nicely between the gt and the cobra. there idea with the bullit was not too impresive, as it was not noticibly faster than the gt, imo.
looking forward to running a mach 1, and a z. i think both cars are great.

Robert
2000 NBM WS6
M6, MTI Clear Lid, !Cags
Eibach, Tokico, Hotchkis RLCA
No Dyno/Track Time Yet
Thanks Robert. Yes, the only mods made to the car is an Accel Kool Blue air filter, which is a K&N style clone, and a few cosmetic mods that have no effect on performance. I think Ford got it right with this one.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:26 AM
brandboZ28

I think Ford got it right with this one.
I think you are exactly right. The look and peformance is right on the money. A friend of mine ordered a Mach 1 but his relationship with the dealership went south so I havent seen it in action but I have heard many stories. It doesnt take much to make the Mach 1 a Cobra killer. Cool car.

Bo

Quick Reply: Ran two mustangs 1994 and 2002. Plus ran w/ C5 50th anv.