Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

A few runs with a modded AWD DSM

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:47 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few runs with a modded AWD DSM

So I'm driving after lunch (had some time to kill), and I go by this light where a 2nd gen Talon is waiting to turn right. The driver eyes me ALL THE WAY BY. As soon as I get past he pulls out really quickly to get next to me. So I downshift to 2nd at about 35-40 and look over and gas it a little. I let off and he takes off (his car was LOUD). I pull up next to him at a light behind some other cars and have a small chat, and found out that his car is AWD and has basically all the bolt-ons you can do short of an upgraded turbo. He asked if I was modded and I told him I was bone stock.

I ask him if he wants to do a couple runs from a roll (it's winter up here and the salt makes first gear useless in the Z). He says sure so we head out to a pretty open 4 lane highway and line up at 60mph.

We both hit it, and I put about a car to a car and a half on him up to 110. We ran a second time from 40 and he stayed at my rear bumper until 90. I was VERY impressed by how fast this DSM was. I know there are some really quick ones out there, but I hardly ever see any. We gave each othe waves and headed our seperate ways (me to work )

Overall I'm impressed by the Z...that Talon sure sounded mean...not like your typical 4-banger. I totally forgot to ask the guy if he'd ever been to the track and what he ran....damn....but a buddy of mine has similar mods on a 95 Talon and he's run low 13s@99-100mph on his set-up (AWD launch of course).
Old 02-26-2003, 03:28 AM
Gin262

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty impressive for an AWD... Good thing he still had the T-too slow

Blake
Old 02-26-2003, 06:56 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Gin262
That's pretty impressive for an AWD... Good thing he still had the T-too slow

Blake
I've seen more than a couple AWD DSMs runs 10s and 11s at the track...so I'd say this DSM was maybe middle of the pack as DSMs go.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:11 AM
TonyZXT

I used to live in Ashland, Ohio, about 35 mins away from Norwalk Raceway Park. Let me tell you the import community up there is not that big, but it's 65-70% DSM, nd most are fast. Bushur Racing is only 15-20 mins form the track, and those guys have churned out lots of 10 second talons and eclipses. Dave Bushur was running 9 seconds in his Talon, over a year ago,... don't know how much faster he has gotten since then. Don't assume you can take a DSM on the street, they might just have a little sum'm for ya! About 4 years ago, I was driving my freind's 69 Buick skylark (same chassis as a chevelle or GTO) with a slightly warmed over BB, and went head to head with a Stock looking Talon, and lost by half a car length. I think I would have taken him in my 83ZXT though
Old 02-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Gin262

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I've seen more than a couple AWD DSMs runs 10s and 11s at the track...so I'd say this DSM was maybe middle of the pack as DSMs go.
Actually it's slow as modded DSM's go, I have one.

However the point was he held up pretty good for an AWD, on the highway, still using that tiny poor excuse for a turbo that came on the 2nd gens.

Clearer?

Blake
Old 02-26-2003, 12:15 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Gin262
Actually it's slow as modded DSM's go, I have one.

However the point was he held up pretty good for an AWD, on the highway, still using that tiny poor excuse for a turbo that came on the 2nd gens.

Clearer?

Blake
Yes...clearer...but I wouldn't say this one was "slow" as DSMs go. Most DSMs I run into (stock or near stock turbo or N/A) get completely destroyed. As modded Turbo DSMs go..yes..this one was slow.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:31 PM
99AllTurbo

That Talon couldn't have been too fast. In that cold weather a 2g with intake, dp, cat back, upper intercooler piping, 16-19psi, fuel pump should yield 98-100mph traps (which I did) which the Z can also trap. If the Talon was beat, I'm sure the T-25 wasn't being maxed out.

Nice kill though

My brother has a 1g AWD and I'm looking fwded to racing him after my break in period. He has run a best of 13.6@99 with turbo-back exh, intake, 18pi and race gas. On pump I should take him with my Z. I used to smoke him in my 99 Gs-t (FWD) that was modded and ran a 13.7@107 with a bigger turbo and supporting mods.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:25 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by 99AllTurbo
That Talon couldn't have been too fast. In that cold weather a 2g with intake, dp, cat back, upper intercooler piping, 16-19psi, fuel pump should yield 98-100mph traps (which I did) which the Z can also trap. If the Talon was beat, I'm sure the T-25 wasn't being maxed out.

Nice kill though

My brother has a 1g AWD and I'm looking fwded to racing him after my break in period. He has run a best of 13.6@99 with turbo-back exh, intake, 18pi and race gas. On pump I should take him with my Z. I used to smoke him in my 99 Gs-t (FWD) that was modded and ran a 13.7@107 with a bigger turbo and supporting mods.
He was running 17psi (creeping to 20 sometimes) which is about the most you can run efficiently on the T-25...anywhere above that and you are pretty much just blowing hot air.

Z's trap 99-102, cars with his mods trap 98-99....Therefore I had slightly more top end. When we passed the 100mph mark....that's when I starting walking more rapidly away...at which point we let off. I think the Z has a little more top end than a stock turbo'ed 2nd gen AWD DSM. If it was 50 degrees warmer outside....it probably wouldn't even have been a contest since he's running a good amount of boost on a stock intercooler. Can't wait to get a greddy turbo kit on my Z
Old 02-27-2003, 03:26 AM
Gin262

As modded Turbo DSMs go..yes..this one was slow.
Good point!

After re-reading my post it came out a little more combative than i'd anticipated... sorry about that and glad you took it the right way =)

Blake
Old 02-27-2003, 04:05 AM
99AllTurbo

When we passed the 100mph mark....that's when I starting walking more rapidly away...at which point we let off. I think the Z has a little more top end than a stock turbo'ed 2nd gen AWD DSM. If it was 50 degrees warmer outside....it probably wouldn't even have been a contest since he's running a good amount of boost on a stock intercooler. Can't wait to get a greddy turbo kit on my Z
Can't wait to go WOT to redline. Many are claiming that our Z's have nice top end. I have 500 miles to go till I find out.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:19 PM
joeshow750

Buschur is down to 7.81 @ 173.8 in his Talon.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:46 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by joeshow750
Buschur is down to 7.81 @ 173.8 in his Talon.
and that's almost streetable
Old 02-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Oh4aZ

I had a very similar encounter as you Briguymax.

At a local meet, I was talking with this guy who had a 95 Talon. He has the following mods:

-B16g P/C
-RRE lower/upper IC piping.
-Injen intake w/ K&N
-Thermal Catback
-JoeP MBC
-B&M short throw for some quicker shifting

We ran from a 20 mph roll and I immediately got the jump on him because of the instant torque -vs- his spool time for the turbo, but once the turbo kicked it, he stayed exactly a car behind me all the way to 110.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:24 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Oh4aZ
I had a very similar encounter as you Briguymax.

At a local meet, I was talking with this guy who had a 95 Talon. He has the following mods:

-B16g P/C
-RRE lower/upper IC piping.
-Injen intake w/ K&N
-Thermal Catback
-JoeP MBC
-B&M short throw for some quicker shifting

We ran from a 20 mph roll and I immediately got the jump on him because of the instant torque -vs- his spool time for the turbo, but once the turbo kicked it, he stayed exactly a car behind me all the way to 110.
That's impressive that you beat a Big 16G DSM.....it probably wasn't tuned well with the upgraded Turbo, when you upgrade the turbo and don't dyno tune it, they aren't much faster.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Jspec350z

Talking

I just got out of a 97 GSX mine had a t28 on it but from what I remeber the t25 was only good for about 14psi the rest is hot air!! My GSX would have smoked my Z. It was a different kind of quick though! In the Z you have to look at the speedo to know that you are speeding. The GSX just always felt it was flying!! I miss 19psi but then again I dont miss working on it!
Old 03-02-2003, 07:51 PM
joeshow750

That's impressive that you beat a Big 16G DSM.....it probably wasn't tuned well with the upgraded Turbo, when you upgrade the turbo and don't dyno tune it, they aren't much faster.
Just to piggyback a little. Tuning is everything when upgrading a turbo. DSM's have all sorts of variances of hp output with similar mods. Furthermore, you may see somebody with typically "less powerful" mods putting down more hp than somebody "more powerful" mods, ie. a T28 beating a 20g. Some differences can just be the differences in the car/motor, but most often tuning, or lack there of, is the "weakest link." While a well tuned 16g should be able to put down 270hp at the wheels, and would likely beat a stock 350z. But tuning is a challenge that takes a while conquer. Also, many forget, or just don't bother, to tune an upgraded turbo for differences in conditions ie. you're going to need more fuel on a colder day because of the change in density of air in the chamber, or if you're running more boost on a particular day you'll need more fuel.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:09 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by joeshow750
Just to piggyback a little. Tuning is everything when upgrading a turbo. DSM's have all sorts of variances of hp output with similar mods. Furthermore, you may see somebody with typically "less powerful" mods putting down more hp than somebody "more powerful" mods, ie. a T28 beating a 20g. Some differences can just be the differences in the car/motor, but most often tuning, or lack there of, is the "weakest link." While a well tuned 16g should be able to put down 270hp at the wheels, and would likely beat a stock 350z. But tuning is a challenge that takes a while conquer. Also, many forget, or just don't bother, to tune an upgraded turbo for differences in conditions ie. you're going to need more fuel on a colder day because of the change in density of air in the chamber, or if you're running more boost on a particular day you'll need more fuel.
I couldn't agree more...Tuning is everything with upgraded turbo cars.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Oh4aZ

A win is a win

Also, I remember him telling me that his was the heaviest Talon. I think he said it weighed like 3500 lbs or something like that.

Last edited by Oh4aZ; 03-03-2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:38 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Oh4aZ

Also, I remember him telling me that his was the heaviest Talon. I think he said it weighed like 3500 lbs or something like that.

That sounds like a ricer excuse to me....