Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

New dyno numbers: 294 rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rednezz
Looks like the headers on the Cosworth motor look very similiar to the Nismo headers. My problem is the intake manifold. After 6300 rpm I just don't have enough air. I really wish I had a Cosworth intake manifold or anything better than I have now so I can take full advantage of my heads and cams. I'm sure I can pick up another 10+ rwhp.
I see in your Sig that you're up to 316whp now. What did you do to go from 294 to 316 whp? I looked for a thread about it but couldn't find one.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 PM
rednezz

I fixed the crank positions sensor and replaced the coil packs (had one go bad). I also had a race setup on it.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I fixed the crank positions sensor and replaced the coil packs (had one go bad). I also had a race setup on it.
what were your bad coilpack symtoms? Was that last tune on racegas? Sweet numbers, and glad its finally turning out the way it should! A long road I know, but congrats
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
rednezz

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
what were your bad coilpack symtoms? Was that last tune on racegas? Sweet numbers, and glad its finally turning out the way it should! A long road I know, but congrats
Thanks!

My coilpacks went from a slight miss fire which I thought was cam lope...it was actually miss firing when we were tuning it. It eventually turn into major miss fire and threw missfire codes. The crank sensor was the hardest to figure out cuz it was like a miss fire also but very slight. I didn't figure it out until finally it threw a crank position code.

My last tune was not on a race setup.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting. I've finally got my car operational now since my Z Days adventure, though I have gotten a couple of misfire codes this week. Added a couple of degrees of timing and so far, it went away, but I think I'm going to pull the plugs and check the coils anyway. Anything in particular that you looked for? Was it an outward blister type thing (ie too much heat), or did you put an ohm meter on them to check resistance?

Post the dyno if you have it, would love to see it!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
97ltw///m3

i have a lot of admiration for someone that gets this involved in a n/a build. props on the numbers.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

That's cool. Congratulations for sure. I can't believe how casual you are about it.

So, basically, all your info on this thread is still accurate, you just fixed the crank sensor and replaced a bad coil pack. Looks like you replaced all the coil packs actually.

Last edited by __jb; 08-02-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:51 PM
rednezz

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
interesting. I've finally got my car operational now since my Z Days adventure, though I have gotten a couple of misfire codes this week. Added a couple of degrees of timing and so far, it went away, but I think I'm going to pull the plugs and check the coils anyway. Anything in particular that you looked for? Was it an outward blister type thing (ie too much heat), or did you put an ohm meter on them to check resistance?

Post the dyno if you have it, would love to see it!
I couldn't figure it out at first. I had checked the coils and they all check good on resistance. It had no blisters or anything. I really thought it the car was completely tuned. I didn't figure it until it threw the codes. When I got the misfire on cylinder 1 and 3 I swapped the coil packs with cylinders that didn't have the misfire code and the problem followed to those cylinders. I just ended up replacing all the coil packs.

When I get some time I will try again to download the dyno data. I will post it up if I do.

Originally Posted by __jb
That's cool. Congratulations for sure. I can't believe how casual you are about it.

So, basically, all your info on this thread is still accurate, you just fixed the crank sensor and replaced a bad coil pack. Looks like you replaced all the coil packs actually.
Thanks! To be honest I am still disappointed. I know 316 is good but I know my motor has another 10 to 15 rwhp in it. So I am really not happy with my current setup. I just need to get a hold of a better intake manifold. I can't move my peak power past 6300. If some how I get the air flow to take advantage of the cams I feel I can dyno between 320 and 330 rwhp. Then I will probably be excited. LOL

I did replaced all the coil packs.

Last edited by rednezz; 08-02-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:18 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

So, you are still using the Nismo headers and exhaust... Standard upper plenum with a 5/16" spacer... a 3" MAF tube... and a dyno tune by UpRev?

Have you ever dyno'd your car with the standard OEM MAF tube? I know it would require some changes in the tune. I'm just curious.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:41 PM
rednezz

So, you are still using the Nismo headers and exhaust... Standard upper plenum with a 5/16" spacer... a 3" MAF tube... and a dyno tune by UpRev?

Have you ever dyno'd your car with the standard OEM MAF tube? I know it would require some changes in the tune. I'm just curious.
Yes I am still using the Nismo headers and exhaust with the non revup plenum with spacer and 3" MAF tube.

During my first dyno tune session we tune the car with the OEM MAF tube. Once tuned with the stock tube we switched it to the 3" MAF housing and I was able to gain a few more hp. I don't remember what the HP difference was but I do remember there was a difference. If I remember correctly it was around 7 hp but I really don't remember so don't quote me on that number.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

congrat.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Yes I am still using the Nismo headers and exhaust with the non revup plenum with spacer and 3" MAF tube.

During my first dyno tune session we tune the car with the OEM MAF tube. Once tuned with the stock tube we switched it to the 3" MAF housing and I was able to gain a few more hp. I don't remember what the HP difference was but I do remember there was a difference. If I remember correctly it was around 7 hp but I really don't remember so don't quote me on that number.
Thanks for the extra information. That's an incredible gain for just changing one thing.

I assume Jared redid the tune for the new 3" MAF tube while your car was on the dyno? Was that one of the 3" MAF tubes that Adam at Z1 sells?

I originally planned to change the MAF tube and some of my inlet plumbing when the new motor gets swapped in, but I decided to hold off. I want to dyno the new engine with all the same peripheral parts as my current engine to see where I stand before I start changine more things.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 AM
rednezz

Thanks for the extra information. That's an incredible gain for just changing one thing.

I assume Jared redid the tune for the new 3" MAF tube while your car was on the dyno? Was that one of the 3" MAF tubes that Adam at Z1 sells?

I originally planned to change the MAF tube and some of my inlet plumbing when the new motor gets swapped in, but I decided to hold off. I want to dyno the new engine with all the same peripheral parts as my current engine to see where I stand before I start changine more things.
Yes Jared tuned the 3" MAF tube on the dyno and it was the someone Z1 sells. Jared had a large throttle body from a V8 I believe and an huge intake tube for it at the shop. I believe the intake tube is over 3". If I had more time I would have tried it. He told me they tried it on another Z and made some power but not enough to justify the cost. I think on my car it would make a bigger difference. My motor is starving for air. Just a change from stock air filter to a K&N makes a significant difference.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried using a revup lower manifold?

A different exhaust?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

rednezz, how's your nismo holding up with TP? heard many crack issue.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 AM
rednezz

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Have you tried using a revup lower manifold?

A different exhaust?
No I haven't tried using the revup manifold. I am waiting on the Cosworth instead. No I didn't try a different exhaust but I did run open exhaust.

Originally Posted by xhooniex83
rednezz, how's your nismo holding up with TP? heard many crack issue.
I don't have any problems...I did initially with the TP cuz of the brackets on them were cracking the TP. I had the cracks welded and no problems since.

Last edited by rednezz; 08-04-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Yes Jared tuned the 3" MAF tube on the dyno and it was the someone Z1 sells. Jared had a large throttle body from a V8 I believe and an huge intake tube for it at the shop. I believe the intake tube is over 3". If I had more time I would have tried it. He told me they tried it on another Z and made some power but not enough to justify the cost. I think on my car it would make a bigger difference. My motor is starving for air. Just a change from stock air filter to a K&N makes a significant difference.
Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

Jared and the UpRev guys are doing some pretty trick things with MAF tubes on NA and FI cars. It would be interesting to try that big tube some time.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

No I haven't tried using the revup manifold. I am waiting on the Cosworth instead. No I didn't try a different exhaust but I did run open exhaust.
Curious as to how much difference it made running with open exhaust?

We tried it on a stock '07 350z and it made 10 more horsepower.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

... I didn't try a different exhaust but I did run open exhaust...
Where was it opened and what were your results?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Where was it opened and what were your results?

+1

Bump for info

Quick Reply: New dyno numbers: 294 rwhp