Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Tomei Header and Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has things they can not live with issue even its simple issue.

Well... Before my tuner start tune my car, he wants to check by his eyes that how's my motor condition, since it ran boost for few months and two tune on dyno plus hitting 55k miles on motor. Safe is first at this moment and I did agree with tuner.

Thanks for kind words, my thread has not many good info. But let me know when u going SC and if you get in trouble.

Good luck in future, I love n/a and I did plan to go install cams but decided to go FI. I'm just waitting for time to I can build motor.

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Yeah lots of miles, i've had my car for 6.5 years and it's not even my main car, hehe. The check came out to be very good on all cylinders, so he told me not to rebuild my engine unless if i'm going for lots of power. You are getting another test done? Is there some issues with your car?

My heads are fine and those are easy to work on since it just sits on top of the block. So really not too much work. My block and heads got checked and are very healthy so really no need to build a new engine on the side and drop it in. I don't mind the car being out of commission since I have spare ones to drive and also don't feel like spending $6000 or so to replace something that is healthy. I'm not aiming for anything with high power so my last upgrade to my car I will do is a SC, if i do it (btw, your build thread is very informative and thanks for putting it up) Later on if something does go wrong with the block then I'll probably do a small engine rebuild.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Everyone has things they can not live with issue even its simple issue.

Well... Before my tuner start tune my car, he wants to check by his eyes that how's my motor condition, since it ran boost for few months and two tune on dyno plus hitting 55k miles on motor. Safe is first at this moment and I did agree with tuner.

Thanks for kind words, my thread has not many good info. But let me know when u going SC and if you get in trouble.

Good luck in future, I love n/a and I did plan to go install cams but decided to go FI. I'm just waitting for time to I can build motor.
Good luck to you too and your car as well. Hope everything works out.

It's not that I like NA over FI, but I just wanted to slowly upgrade from all NA mods to the SC. More for a learning experience rather then budgetary. All the upgrades I've done except the underdrive pulley and popcharger supposedly will work well with the Vortech. Hopefully I don't run into many issues once i go with the Vortech, but if i do I'll take you up on your help

I really was thinking about setting up a fancy SC system similar to yours but I'll got with my installer's (www.zcargarage.com) recommendation and go with the full kit. He's done over 50 of these and warranties everything for one whole year (tune, install, and parts). I'm sure that later on when the warranty goes out I'll start having similar parts as you. He's has a few revup cars with 400whp with stock pulley so I don't feel too bad with his suggestion.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
So the dyno above is with cams and headers? The NA gains are tough so if the tomei's make more than ichiba's(most others) then they are worth it IMO. Think about the money you have to spend to find the gains you did from better headers with another part. I just spent $400 between the z1 maf and tune to get under 5hp. I probably could have picked up more hp with these headers and been able to sell my dc's.
Just noticed that i forgot to reply to you, but I guess for now you probably figured it out sorry. Yeah I think they are worth it IMO, like you have mentioned, since NA power is so hard to attain. I'm going to follow your footsteps and do the MAF housing too
Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 PM
fabre80

How much were the cams? and everything to install them?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by fabre80
How much were the cams? and everything to install them?
You'll probably be looking at something around 2k for everything (cams, install, tune).
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM
lil_dmk3

You'll probably be looking at something around 2k for everything (cams, install, tune).
Hey man, where did you get the cams installed and tune done?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 PM
gabe3d

I got everything done over at www.Zcargarage.com. Once I come back from Korea at the end of the month, I'm going back there again to get some changes on the VVT and also push out the redline to 6750. I think this should provide an additional 10whp. Also I might ask him to get my MREV2 polished and see the results with a larger intake. I'll see on the result and keep you guys posted.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

2k for parts/install/tune? Wow That's cheap man compare to other shops.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:03 PM
gabe3d

Yeah, it's a good price I think as well. Just a note though that it doesn't include the price of the Osiris license since i already have it.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Yeah, it's a good price I think as well. Just a note though that it doesn't include the price of the Osiris license since i already have it.
Yea, even you had osiris license. Usually tune cost around 500~600 on dyno tune ( depends on shop dyno charge/hr ) Plus cams are around 1k, here is already around 1500. One shop quoted me 2k~3k( it's been a while) for install cams. lol
Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i was quoted 950 for cam install with free header install. not 2 bad
Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
i was quoted 950 for cam install with free header install. not 2 bad
Just make sure that you get a tune as well, don't want to blow up your car.

Yea, even you had osiris license. Usually tune cost around 500~600 on dyno tune ( depends on shop dyno charge/hr ) Plus cams are around 1k, here is already around 1500. One shop quoted me 2k~3k( it's been a while) for install cams. lol
Yeah, I think that is about the going rate. Are you going t get yours done as well? Looks like you are keeping your SC?

Last edited by gabe3d; 07-05-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Nah, not yet. Will do when I'm ready to build motor. I was plan to do before went fi. But labor cost was too much so I just went with s/c. End up spend more, but no regret. Haha

And sc...I'm keeping it. Test came out good and everything looked good. It should be back on the road soon.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM
allmotorsedan

Hey Gabe, why not raise the rev limit to 7000rpm? Yhe stock rev limit is 6550rpm. You are only uping it 200rpm and with the Tomei cams and headers, that should definately open up your top end some more

Looking forward for tuned results when you come back

-allmotorsedan
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
Hey Gabe, why not raise the rev limit to 7000rpm? Yhe stock rev limit is 6550rpm. You are only uping it 200rpm and with the Tomei cams and headers, that should definately open up your top end some more

Looking forward for tuned results when you come back

-allmotorsedan
Finally, your first post

That's a good point, I probably should do 7000rpm. Just worried about my stock studs. I'll let you guys know of the results.

Nah, not yet. Will do when I'm ready to build motor. I was plan to do before went fi. But labor cost was too much so I just went with s/c. End up spend more, but no regret. Haha

And sc...I'm keeping it. Test came out good and everything looked good. It should be back on the road soon.
Good to hear everything went fine with your test and that you are keeping it.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:18 AM
allmotorsedan

I think 7000rpms should be fine, most reflashes up it to 7000-7200rpm anyway. Most people don't shift that high because VQs don't make much. top end power stock. With your cams and headers, you should still continue to make power that high.

When I get Osiris, I'm gonna have mine set at 7000 as well. Like I said before, I wouldn't shift any higher than that because my internals are still stock. Once built, that is obviously a different situation. But that is still ways away for now

-allmotorsedan
Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
I think 7000rpms should be fine, most reflashes up it to 7000-7200rpm anyway. Most people don't shift that high because VQs don't make much. top end power stock. With your cams and headers, you should still continue to make power that high.

When I get Osiris, I'm gonna have mine set at 7000 as well. Like I said before, I wouldn't shift any higher than that because my internals are still stock. Once built, that is obviously a different situation. But that is still ways away for now

-allmotorsedan
I'm pretty sure I should make power pass 6250rpm as well (this is where it plateaus out now), but I'll see how the dynos come out and adjust the redline accordingly.

It's true that our VQ35DE doesn't make more power pass ~6250rpm but having a redline pass that point is good in order to be in a higher power band in the next gear.

So you are completely stock now? I was stock for 6.5years then all of a sudden I went all out.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
allmotorsedan

Yeah, mostly stock . I got a rev-up airbox, z-tube, tein coilovers(-1.7"F, -1.0"R), hotchkis sway bars and eibach pro 15mm spacers. I bought mine febuary last year. I can't keep cars stock for long. Lol

I plan on getting camber kit F&R, gt spec strut bar and hopefully a nismo or cusco lsd with 4.08FD and osiris next year. But we will see about that. Right now, I'm just researching and collecting info regards to NA builds. Your build is great so far, you are doing everything step by step, which is good for comparisons. So keep me(and the rest of) updated for results.

I should be doing a baseline pull soon to get a good starting point. So I'll make sure I get those up

-allmotorsedan
Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
JK_HRZ

How is the 264 lope? Did you have to increase idle? If so, to what rpm?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 PM
gabe3d

No, didn't have to increase the idle. What do you want to know about the lope? I guess it's fine since it didn't stall out my car with the stock idle setting. Or did you want to know how the car sounds at idle?

Quick Reply: Tomei Header and Cam install