Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Tomei Header and Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:00 PM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^yeah that would be nice to know as well

how does it sound? better yet a vid haha
Old 07-13-2009, 05:33 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd post some vids for you guys, but I'm out of the country till the end of the month. The only video I have that I didn't upload yet is this really bad one I took a couple hours before I left the country. It somewhat shows the idle.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
scmtkings4

the 264 cams are fairly quiet it seems from the vid?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 PM
gabe3d

Yeah, at idle it isn't loud at all. There are some noticle sound difference though. Not sure how to describe it but it sputters deeper and louder then before. You can kinda tell in the vid. Yeah the vid sucks.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
scmtkings4

yeah maybe it was just the vid

but you did say that there is a noticeable change in sound at idle?

i guess i was just kinda expecting a louder sound like Rednezz's Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMeeT...eature=related

but he went with 272s

but yeah, congrats tho. enjoy your mods, hopefully I can do something like this one day
Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 AM
gabe3d

Yeah his car sounds a higher and louder then my car. Also he is punching it pretty hard on that drive by since his redline is higher then mine. There are so many variables on how a car would sound that I wouldn't contribute it solely to 264 vs 272.

For sure it's not loud on the outside, you'd really have to know your car to know that it is different at idle. You won't be turning heads at idle if that is what you are looking for. Only when the car starts going pass 3k rpm is when the car starts sounding more unique. I'm thinking that's probably a combination of the headers and the MD exhaust. The MD exhaust never sounded like this with stock Cams. BTW, at idle you can also hear the lovely lightweight clutch chatter.

Last edited by gabe3d; 07-16-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 AM
allmotorsedan

Hey Gabe, do you know if the shop had to lift the engine up and/or out to install the headers? Or the easier to install than they look....

-allmotorsedan
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
gabe3d

Yeah, my headers look beef-cake, didn't need to pull the motor but it was a little tricky getting them in. I don't think headers are easy at all to install on these cars at all. The bay is so jammed.

So since I'm going to get a retune I took advantage and bought changed out my intake to be larger in diameter through out. Also since my car is gonna be in the shop i got a new LSD and FD.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:30 PM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Yeah his car sounds a higher and louder then my car. Also he is punching it pretty hard on that drive by since his redline is higher then mine. There are so many variables on how a car would sound that I wouldn't contribute it solely to 264 vs 272.

For sure it's not loud on the outside, you'd really have to know your car to know that it is different at idle. You won't be turning heads at idle if that is what you are looking for. Only when the car starts going pass 3k rpm is when the car starts sounding more unique. I'm thinking that's probably a combination of the headers and the MD exhaust. The MD exhaust never sounded like this with stock Cams. BTW, at idle you can also hear the lovely lightweight clutch chatter.

yeah i just meant to say his idle loping seemed pretty loud compared to yours, so i had assumed it was the 272 as compared to the 264
Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 PM
allmotorsedan

Thumbs up

Damn Gabe, you really are going all out with it . What FD and lsd you going with? Any do you have opinions or advice from others, on which ones to go with?

I'm thinking of going with a nismo or cusco lsd and a 4.08FD. I can see now our builds are going to be very similar
Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
Damn Gabe, you really are going all out with it . What FD and lsd you going with? Any do you have opinions or advice from others, on which ones to go with?

I'm thinking of going with a nismo or cusco lsd and a 4.08FD. I can see now our builds are going to be very similar
It's funny how this upgraded started out actually. A couple of weeks ago I had this black liquid on my driver side exhaust.

The reason turns out to be that the back rear differential bushing on my car is worn out. Here is a pic a better pic that shows the location.

Name:  IMG_4681.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  98.4 KB

Needless to say that it needed to be replaced, since it contributes to wheel hop and loss of traction!!! Also...who wants to buy OEM parts, so I got the SPL aluminum ones. Looking at the instructions to replace the bushing, it requires you to almost unmount the differential. That's practically half of the way to replacing the LSD (maybe more like 1/5 actually)!!! All I need to do is crack that puppy open, take the old one out and put the new on in. But I got to take out the ring from the old one and mount that on the LSD, you get the idea by now. Same deal goes for the Nismo Finned cover, it's really cheap and it's gotta be functional.

Deciding on the LSD was a bit of a challenge. The choices I had were Cusco RS, Nismo (same as the Cusco MZ), Quaife, and Tomei. I really couldn't go based on anything other then what people have stated, which is always very subjective, and what we can read about each on the manufacturer. The best would be to drive and try side by side, but i highly doubt i'd be able to tell any significant difference between the aftermarket ones. The one that I'm sure I can tell would be the Tomei one since it's a 2way. Long story short I remember the axle clicking issue and how that was annoying, so i decided to stay away from any clutch type LSD and got the Quaife. It's a 1.5 way which should be a lot better for street use and it's engagement and operation are silky smooth.

Final drive was a more simple decision. I knew that down the line I would really consider Force Induction and it was one of the main reason I didn't think about purchasing one. However if i did go down that path the only type I would get would be a SC, which basically drives like an NA car. So I wouldn't go backward if i did get a FD, so i got one. In terms of gearing options it was 3.9 or 4.08, the latter one being cheaper and more readily available with really no downside. That's about it

One small expense turns out to be a huge one... as usual with car mods.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
allmotorsedan

Very cool!! Quaife is very good, this won't matter to you but I heard that the Quaife acts like an open diff in snow/very slippery conditions. I live in Chicago and the weather changes everyday here. Lol

Anyway congrats and good luck!! Keep us posted!!

-allmotorsedan
Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Nice mods... NA is really a lot of fun...

I couldn't tell from your posts if you actually have the larger MAF tube installed on your car yet. If you do have the larger Z1 MAF installed, did you keep the JWT Pop Charger?

Do you have any trouble starting your car when the engine is already warmed up? Mine starts normally the first time, but once the engine gets warmed up a bit, I have to step on the accelerator quite a bit to get it started.

I also have trouble with mine stalling occasionally when the engine is still cold. I'm not sure if it's because of the larger MAF tube... the Pop Charger... or the tune.

I'm currently running the Pop Charger as it comes from JWT. I plan on opening the mouth of mine to match the larger MAF tube.

-jb
Old 07-19-2009, 07:03 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by __jb
Nice mods... NA is really a lot of fun...

I couldn't tell from your posts if you actually have the larger MAF tube installed on your car yet. If you do have the larger Z1 MAF installed, did you keep the JWT Pop Charger?

Do you have any trouble starting your car when the engine is already warmed up? Mine starts normally the first time, but once the engine gets warmed up a bit, I have to step on the accelerator quite a bit to get it started.

I also have trouble with mine stalling occasionally when the engine is still cold. I'm not sure if it's because of the larger MAF tube... the Pop Charger... or the tune.

I'm currently running the Pop Charger as it comes from JWT. I plan on opening the mouth of mine to match the larger MAF tube.

-jb
It's a little funny hearing from you saying that I have nice mods, since your car is much more upgraded then mine, but I appreciate the kind words

I bought the MAFH but I haven't installed it yet. I found a couple of velocity on the market that will fit the JWT popcharger's 6" and funnel it down to 3", but I haven't bought any yet since I keep hearing different statements on the inlet size of the MAF housing. I'll wait until I get back home to measure it myself. By the way, did you measure the ID on the Z1 MAFH?

Sorry, can't give you any insight on your starting problem since I don't have it yet, but 03threefiftyz is running that configuration and I don't believe he has any hot or cold starting issues. Did you change your idle speed?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id of the z1 maf 80mm exit about 78mm. Bolt the venturi ring to the maf bring it to a machine shop or if you have a lathe make it the same size.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
gabe3d

Not saying that you don't know how to use a tape measurer, but the confusing part is that I talked to Adam from Z1 the other day and he confirmed to me that it's 76mm straight through.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I can confirm that it is 80mm inlet and 78mm exit. No starting issues here. I still plan to have the venturi lathed to 80mm, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

1cockyZ did you lathe it to 80mm yet?

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 07-19-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 AM
gabe3d

I think both of you (03threefiftyz and 1cockyZ) are using the Samco intake hose which is 3", does it fit fairly ok on the MAFH?

How about you the ___jb what intake tube are you using? I saw on your post that you are using the Ztube, is that right? Hope everything works out for your issues.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

yea it fits fine.....the silicone stretches a little bit.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The id of the samco is actually 3.25" because it has to fit over the tb and the maf housing. Tape measure? NO! I used a set of calipers. You have a metric tape measure? I used a porting bit on a air powered die grinder to match mine up, I wouldn't do it again and I still want to have it "touched up" on the proper equipment. The maf is actually 1.33 times the size of the tb which according to some tech article I posted a link to on here a while ago is ideal. If I had it to do over again I would have had an aluminum pipe made from tb to filter with the maf sensor adapter like someone on here did https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...-pictures.html. Its just simpler and cleaner IMO. Anyway the z1 maf is an a very quality item.

Quick Reply: Tomei Header and Cam install