Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New Here, I've been on the research for a 350Z but affraid to buy...need your input

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Ihatemybmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here, I've been on the research for a 350Z but affraid to buy...need your input

I am ready to pick one up as early as tomorrow however, I am afraid of the usuall problem with buying a new model car.
Not much that it's a bad car....I think the 350Z is definately my next vehicle, however, I'm not sure if there is going to be a new model that maybe coming out.

Sure, the convertible is out in summer, but will there be anything other than the Top-of-the-line track model???

What is in store for the 2004 350Z.

Does anyone have any input....Also what is a fair price for a Track model...
Old 06-13-2003, 01:37 PM
NeoZ

I seriously doubt that there will be any major changes to the Z. As you stated, it is a new model car. They may make minor changes to the interior and fix some of the problems (grease on the windows) but they really won't be noticable to anyone other than a hardcore enthusiast. I suspect that they may offer a T-Top version in a few years, however, a major change shouldn't occur as Nissan is trying to keep costs down and sales up with this car. Any deviation from the current model would include a price hike that Nissan can't afford to make right now.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Ihatemybmw

Default WOW! thanks for the info

for your personal prefference, would you go with a track or a touring. I am replacing my E46 M3 with this car.

The M3 was a POS.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:37 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WOW! thanks for the info

Originally posted by Ihatemybmw
The M3 was a POS.
Sorry to hear but that was funny. Why didn't you like the M3? Engine troubles, interior stuff breaking, other?

Track or Touring? Do you want big brakes and light wheels or do you want leather seats and seat heaters?
Old 06-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes, how can a E46 BMW M3 be a POS??? I thought that was the gold standard for super performance street car. I have heard of NOTHING but the biggest praise of that car, how can it be a POS??? Please let us know...cause god knows I don't make enough to buy one to find out for myself.

Now back to your question, track or touring.

I think it hoenstly comes down to IF YOU WILL MOD IT OR NOT!

I would go with Touring if I decide to mod it. There are good aftermarket part out, such as brake kit. a 4.5k stoptech brake kit will put you ahead of the factory brembo (in term of size (355mm vs 324mm), and looks; performace can be equal), if you will put a body kit on, why get the track model body kit.

Now if you want to leave the car stock, and you will buy manual for sure, then I will go for track. It is well worth the price, and alot less hassle then to mod it yourself.

One last note, if you think you are, or ever will be into drift or track driving (I know I am not), you might want to consider a car that doesn't have the VDC. All the japanese tunner and racer have to find a way to bypass it, the only company that was smart enough to buy a car that doesn't include the VDC was Esprit. They had to replace their loss of factory brembo brake with a 6pot front and 4pot rear brembo though.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:15 PM
failsafe
....for your health

VDS and TCS can be turned off at anytime in the Z.

Last edited by failsafe; 06-13-2003 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:16 PM
failsafe
....for your health

errr.....VDC
Old 06-13-2003, 05:08 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: WOW! thanks for the info

Originally posted by Ihatemybmw
for your personal prefference, would you go with a track or a touring. I am replacing my E46 M3 with this car.
I have a Track. Several friends have Touring. We went to VIR in mid-April for a high-speed driving course. Every Touring had brake problems that day or soon after. One Touring that tried to brake as hard as I did went off the track twice when his pedal went to the floor, and we had to replace his pads before he could drive home. I braked harder and better all weekend and I'm still (mid-June) on my first set of brake pads.

I was driving to work this morning, having a really good commute. The lights were green, and nobody was in front of me. I was pushing it, having fun. I made a turn at top speed and saw that the next light was green. I knew I would have to push it to make the green, so I did. As I approached the intersection, a minivan turned right on red in front of me. Then it stopped dead in the road to turn left into a strip mall. I saw it turn in front of me, I was ready for that, but I wasn't ready for it to stop. I applied firm pressure to the Brembos and reached out to grab my laptop in the seat beside me. The car stopped on a dime without complaint and never even activated the ABS.

It depends on what you're going to do with your car. I want to be able to drive my car aggressively but I don't want to do a lot of performance mods. I have no need for power leather seats. I have had them before, they're nice, but not THAT nice. Same with the Bose stereo. I'm not crazy about Bose and those that have them certainly aren't raving about them. And don't those stock Track Rays look SO much better than any other stock wheel?

OK, think of this: which is easier (and cheaper) to do:

1) aftermarket leather seats and a CD changer with subwoofer
2) High-performance Brembo brakes and lightweight Rays wheels.

Last point: My best 350Z buddy, who has a Touring, wishes he had bought a Track.

Nuff said.

Last edited by bhobson333; 06-13-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Ihatemybmw

Default Thanks for your input ... specially 333

you just made my mind. Track it is. I don't think I'm going to Mod out this car, as I've Modded all my past cars. I will however, drive this vehicle hard...harder than most owners would.

As far as the M3....I've modded out this car so much that It won two 1st place BMW car show trophies and several 2nds. The stupid thing didn't even come stock with Brembos or something comparable. So anyway, I hate it because It currently has 5K miles, Full schnitzer kit and 3 piece 19" sitting in the dealer service bay with a Blown Motor. So hence, my handle name, "I hate my BMW". Did I mention this would be the second motor within the year.

So I'm in the search of a new vehicle with a lot more reliability. I'm planning to keep this vehicle for the long haul.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes, I have heard of plenty of blown Civic motor, but blown M3 motors, ouch!!!

Did you do any modding to the motors? Or did it blow bone stock? I am assuming it is at the dealer, it is stock? Maybe just normal non internal item such as air filter and exhaust, at most headers right?

If you are not going to mod and will drive manual, then I have to agree again with track. Espeically with it driven hard.

Stoptech made a test for the 350z, and the factory brembo doesn't really have much difference then the stock brake until you get it hot and fade set in. So that stop on the dime for the mini van can probably be done by the stock brake also, but stock brake with stock pad and rotor does not belong on a track.

I think the stock brake and the brembo have a 2 feet stoping difference from 60-0mph and a 5 feet difference from 100-0mph, but that was when the brake are cold. Once the stock brake heat up, HOLY SMOKE! And I meant it.

Oh, BMW, you have to mod the 350Z a little bit, just so you know. Have to change spring, since from what I know the stock shock are too hard for the spring, so you need a higher spring rate spring to correct that. And at least a body kit...makes a world of difference.

And we ALL know that you will mod it in the future...cause that was what we ALL said when we bought the 350z, "I like it the way it is"

If you can get on this board, you are going to mod.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:26 AM
bhobson333

Originally posted by Nocturnal
Yikes, I have heard of plenty of blown Civic motor, but blown M3 motors, ouch!!!
The M3 has a long and well-deserved reputation for blowing motors.

Stoptech made a test for the 350z, and the factory brembo doesn't really have much difference then the stock brake until you get it hot and fade set in. So that stop on the dime for the mini van can probably be done by the stock brake also, but stock brake with stock pad and rotor does not belong on a track.

I think the stock brake and the brembo have a 2 feet stoping difference from 60-0mph and a 5 feet difference from 100-0mph, but that was when the brake are cold. Once the stock brake heat up, HOLY SMOKE! And I meant it.
The way Stoptech presented their test results they made it sound like the Brembos weren't much better than the stock but must disagree. They feel more aggressive and able, and if you think about it, 2 feet at full-pedal from 0-60 is not insignifigant!

Oh, BMW, you have to mod the 350Z a little bit, just so you know. Have to change spring, since from what I know the stock shock are too hard for the spring, so you need a higher spring rate spring to correct that.
The ride with the stock springs is firm, but replacing them isn't required (IMHO) but may be desirable and isn't too expensive. Check out this side-by-side of the stock spring next to the Eibach. Ride with the Eibach was signifigantly smoother.
Attached Thumbnails New Here, I've been on the research for a 350Z but affraid to buy...need your input-eiback_vs_stock.jpg  
Old 06-14-2003, 05:27 AM
bhobson333

this board is messed up!
Old 06-14-2003, 06:19 AM
qirex

From what I understand, the stock brakes do STOP just as well as the brembos - however, the brembos are MUCH more resistant to fade....hence the track designation. Personally, I've experienced fade once with my touring 6MT. I was really cooking it up and slowed from ~130 to 80 twice in rapid succesion. When I went for it the third time...I felt that rubbing and shaking in the wheel of the characteristic fade...I felt like one of the Best Motoring Video Drivers (the old guy) "Ohh...Ohhh.Oh! what is this? The Z has brake fade!"

Either way, again sorry about your M3. I've had NOTHING but great times with my Z. I actually think the BOSE sounds great for a stock stereo setup in a $35K car. The leather surfaces are great as well. One thing you hear the reviewers complain about for some reason is how "cheap" the Z interior looks. What they dont reealize is how damn well this interior wears. It takes NOTHINg to keep it clean and looking great. Sometimes I'll use a wet sponge other than that...clean!

I'm about to buy a 330ci convertible...mebbe I'll lease that like my buddy with a bmw is telling me...
Old 06-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Ralphus

M3 motors blow because of the driver, not the car itself.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Ihatemybmw

Default uhhh, I dont think so

I'm a BMW Master Technician and this is why I bought my M3. Two blown motors makes the Car not the driver. I know how to blow a motor and driving a performance car to its potential should not blow a motor.

It is true that some wannabe race car M3 owners rev past 8K and reallllly blow their motor....but this is not the case.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:01 AM
jhchan

Originally posted by Ralphus
M3 motors blow because of the driver, not the car itself.
ok I couldn't resist! ;-) The E46 M3 has a huge history of blown motors, even with the SMG which should not happen! Great car if you get a good engine but otherwise what a headache!

http://members.roadfly.org/jason/m3engines.htm

Last edited by jhchan; 06-14-2003 at 09:07 AM.