Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

My New Z with a Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^what seats are in your car now?
I have eibach sportline springs my car is pretty low but still rides great and i have koni adjustable shocks..I just have really good tires basically though for the track that hook like crazy, im sure my suspension plays into that too though..
u could prolly try different things in the search button to come up with the fluids question..i should do mine also so maybe ill look around, owner before me did mine with motul ill find the receipt
Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
carscrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a track model and it came with the stock cloth seats that are still in it now. I am still used to my vr-4 interior. Black leather digital climate control sunroof and a back seat. All that is gone but I am adjusting well. Still wouldnt mind a nicer seat.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
tylerxfire

^^ah..yeah i have a touring model and it is actually great and the only model i wanted...frost white interior..frost white heated leather seats all pwr everything...do u have the bose system or no? cruise? controls on steering wheel? i dont think i ever really checked into the track model
Old 03-09-2010, 07:46 AM
carscrainer

It does have cruise control on the wheel but no bose or leather or nav. I bought a double din head unit that has touch screen dvd and nav and sirius so that is all taken care of. Just wouldnt mind some nice seats also. Your car is silver with the frost leather? You should post a pic cause I wanted to know what it would look like in my car. It has black carpet and door panels but the frost headliner in my car. Actually been looking at a set of frost seats for my car. Just not sure If I can afford them right now. I wonder what I could sell my stock cloth seats for?
Anyhow does your car have the stock clutch or not. If not what kind do you use and how much was it. When you go to the track do you do a burn out and in what gear and when you leave off the line do you just drop the clutch or ease it out and at what rpms do you leave. Do you still have stock axles and all of that? Thanks again for the info
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by carscrainer
It does have cruise control on the wheel but no bose or leather or nav. I bought a double din head unit that has touch screen dvd and nav and sirius so that is all taken care of. Just wouldnt mind some nice seats also. Your car is silver with the frost leather? You should post a pic cause I wanted to know what it would look like in my car. It has black carpet and door panels but the frost headliner in my car. Actually been looking at a set of frost seats for my car. Just not sure If I can afford them right now. I wonder what I could sell my stock cloth seats for?
Anyhow does your car have the stock clutch or not. If not what kind do you use and how much was it. When you go to the track do you do a burn out and in what gear and when you leave off the line do you just drop the clutch or ease it out and at what rpms do you leave. Do you still have stock axles and all of that? Thanks again for the info

i will snap some pics of the interior later if i can get enough light in the garage...At the track with street tires u dont need to do a burnout just a quick spin to clean any rocks off the tires...When i go with my MT's i do a burnout in first gear i dont do a huge burnout as the tires dont need it..They stick so good with just a little burnout...I have ACT clutch and ACT flywheel but i do still have stock axles...I leave at 6k rpm and feather it out a little bit not quite just a drop Ill get some pics later and dig up some receipts for prices
Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
tylerxfire

not sure how the track model is but im pretty sure its the same...when i go to the track i pull my brake light fuse on the driver side kick panel fuse box to bypass the car from cutting power on a burnout...

If u hold the brake and gas at same time and try to do a brake stand while spinning the tires the car will cut power and not let u do a good burnout...when i go with my slicks i take that fuse out so i can get a standing burnout going. it bypasses the system and doesnt cut power but there is no brake lights so dont do it on the street...guess u would have to see if the track model also cuts power while doing a brake stand

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-09-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
carscrainer

Hey hows it going. I haven't been on the site in awhile. Just been out enjoying my car and all that new power. Today I drove all around for about an hour and everything was fine. Then I scraped the underside a little pulling into a friends driveway. Sucked but no big deal. Then I drive home and dont notice anything wrong. Then an hour later I go to pick up my little girl and my air fuel ratio gauge is reading lean. When I am cruising it usually reads between 14.3 to 15.3 and now it will run between 14.0-16-17. So I freaked out and dont no what is wrong. I punched it to see what would happen. Usually it would richen up to around 10-11.8 but now it will only hold 15-15.2 I went home and pulled the bottom covwer off and the inline fule pump looks good. It is dry with no signs of leaks and I checked my vacuum hoses and they all look good. The sensor and the wires for the A/F look good as well. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should check. Do you think the stock fuel pump is going bad or what? IDK any help would be great And any ways of testing diff ideas would be great as well. Thanks for your time
Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
tylerxfire

def. lean if it is 15's while wot considering the gauge is reading correct...try to disconnect ur battery over night and just see if that solves it? never know...if u turn ur key on do u hear your fuel pump turn on?...u may have to test to see if the inline pump is coming on like it should with a volt meter...email vinny and tell him whats up he will try to help u out over the phone for sure...i dont remember but do u have cats on the car or test pipes?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:40 PM
carscrainer

My car has test pipes. It is running more on the lean side when it is just cruising down the road or just sitting. IDK Can the sensor go bad or can it be cleaned. How else can I check my A/F ratio? Their is no local dyno shops around here so who else would have a sensor or way to check my A/F? I will email vinny and hope he can help me out. I did pull the sensor out just to look at it and it is all black. I blew it off with the air hose and just put it back in. I dont know much about all this but want and need to figure out how to start fixing this stuff myself. The inline pump looks dry and shows no signs of leaks. The hot and ground wires look good and are tight. The car still feels like it has power so I think the pump is turning on. When I blip the gas the car richens up for a minute. then it leans back out. I have no check engine light on or anything and I dont hear any pings or anything unusual. I dont know. I am not driving it right now until I figure out what is wrong. I just want the car to work and be dependable. This is crazy but hopefully I can figure it out. Do you think maybe the stock fuel pump could be going bad. I was going to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to make sure I have 40-60lbs at idle and then c what happens under boost maybe. Am i wasting my time or do you think i am on the right path?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM
tylerxfire

i think that the stock fuel pump must be fine if the car is starting as it would be starting off that fuel pump..the inline fuel pump is programmed to come on at a given rpm and boost level..so say for example the inline pump would turn on once u are at 2000 rpm under boost and maybe it is not and that is the reason it is lean...U would have to put a tester on the power line to make sure the inline pump is turning on like its supposed to would be my first thing to do..u should be able to hook a clip on the wire near ur battery where the power wire is ran to from the inline pump..understand what im trying to say or no?

or possibly an injector problem?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:58 PM
tylerxfire

U could replace the sensor on ur a/f gauge who knows maybe the gauge is just not reading right..tough for me to tell from here.where is ur closest dyno to just make a pull with a/f reading maybe u should try that after u check to see if there is power to the inline pump...Did u just install that a/f gauge? was it new and what guage did u end up going with?

pull ur maf sensor and clean it with some cnc maf cleaner from the parts store is worth a try too

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-23-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
carscrainer

I bought the exact gauge from the link you gave me awhile back. It was brand new in the box when I got it. I drove it straight from the mechanics to vinny's 7 hours away then had my car tuned and it has worked fine the whole time. Still seems to be working but is elling me the car is running lean so I am not driving her now. I will get some cleaner for the MAF and clean that and who knows maybe it will work. I also found a number for AEM that makes the gauge so I might give them a call tmrw and see what they have to say. IDK Maybe i can figure out how to take a video of the gauge when my car is running and post that somehow so you can see exactly what is going on. Thanks for the help. I will post that dyno sheet somtime too.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
tylerxfire

yeah im guessing the gauge is not ur problem as long as the sensor is ok and wiring since u said u bottomed the car out..did it touch at all?

I would try the maf cleaner and i would def. check to see if the inline pump is coming on like it should...have u tried disconnecting the positive terminal overnight just to see?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:44 PM
carscrainer

OK all is good with the car. I bought a new a/f sensor from summit racing for $80. got it a day later put it in the car and it reads normal. So I guess my other sensor went bad. I called aem and they told me to test the sensor you can just take it out of the exhaust then turn the key on the the sensor has power and it should go full lean then spray brake cleaner on a rag and cover the sensor and it should go full rich. My sensor failed this test so I changed it and the new one works great. I did clean up the original sensor and threw it in a box for a spare. It only has 1000 mileson the sensor so I hope the new one doesn't go bad that fast. As of right now I have about $600 just in the two gauges including the install and extra sensor. I just bought a system for only $150 more. Oh well at least my car is running good. Thanks agin for the help. Only 20 days until the track opens. I am going to request some days off next week so I can go stay at the track for opening day. Should be a good time. I will work on getting some new pics and posting them and the dyno sheet. The front end is getting painted next week and my stereo will be installed next saturday so then my car should be good for a little while. I bought a pioneer shallow mount 12" 1500 watt sub and a pioneer mono d block 2 ohm stable 1200 watt amp and am goint to build a custom box to fit behind the driver seat because my speaker only needs .5 cubic feet of space. I hope it pounds pretty hard. My last sytem was two square 12" sooobarics and a 4000watt amp but I think the new sytem will still hit hard. Only time wil tell
Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
tylerxfire

glad to hear the car is good to go..thats crazy the sensor went already, maybe it was because u drove the car so far being un-tuned? idk that is weird...i have about 10k miles on mine at the time..Did you try to warranty it for a new one where u bought the gauge?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
SPG350Z

Just a random question but i am curious as to what Vinny's charged you to tune your Z, as im thinking of taking mine to him. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM
tylerxfire

^^^i would contact vinny for a price
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 PM
SPG350Z

Yeah i will do that, i just thought since me and carscrainer have the same mods i could compare price quotes. Thanks tho.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:35 AM
carscrainer

He charged me a standard hourly dyno rate. I was on the dyno for 3 hours and the total came to $400 plus tax. We had relatively no problems though because of all the time and money spent before hand. I would say if your car runs fine it should around the same. I was making 400HP after only an hour on the dyno and the last two were spent fine tuning the A/F. I am still very happy with the work done and the service after the fact. He lets me call for any problems I have and helps me out over the phone and emails. Vinny is the man when it comes to our 350z's so give him a call make an apointment and tell him Mark Crainer from 7 hours from him sent you. Trust me he will know who you are talking about. Good luck and have fun.

Drags open one week from today. Cant wait
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 AM
tylerxfire

have you seen any of the new vids from VTR?

youtube rocky has them all up under need4boost i beleive it is hin username...

where are you going to run at esta?

Quick Reply: My New Z with a Vortech