Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

My New Z with a Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM
carscrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So thursday will be my first time ever going to a dyno. I cant wait if you know what I mean. So anyhow is their anything I should do to prepare for the session. I just had plugs and oil change and the belts checked/replaced so all that should be good but is their anything else I need to know or do. If I get my car tuned when its 25 degrees outside will I need to have it re-tuned when it gets warm out. Also I am trying to get it tuned for the 3.12 pulley on the stock fuel pump with the vortech additional fuel pump and FMU with the SS box that is wired into my ECU. The tuning place says it is pretty basic and shouldnt be that hard to tune. I dont think they tune the ss box that often if ever and was wondering if anyone knows more about that. I know vinnytenracing can proram the ss box but that is 7 hours from me so I am trying to save myself the drive. I am wondering what kind of numbers to expect and how much of a difference would buying a utec make? I am hopeing that I make decent numbers with the setup I have and to just run the car that way.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carscrainer
So thursday will be my first time ever going to a dyno. I cant wait if you know what I mean. So anyhow is their anything I should do to prepare for the session. I just had plugs and oil change and the belts checked/replaced so all that should be good but is their anything else I need to know or do. If I get my car tuned when its 25 degrees outside will I need to have it re-tuned when it gets warm out. Also I am trying to get it tuned for the 3.12 pulley on the stock fuel pump with the vortech additional fuel pump and FMU with the SS box that is wired into my ECU. The tuning place says it is pretty basic and shouldnt be that hard to tune. I dont think they tune the ss box that often if ever and was wondering if anyone knows more about that. I know vinnytenracing can proram the ss box but that is 7 hours from me so I am trying to save myself the drive. I am wondering what kind of numbers to expect and how much of a difference would buying a utec make? I am hopeing that I make decent numbers with the setup I have and to just run the car that way.

honestly i would not be driving the car now as it is winter, so i would let it sit and wait until it warms up to tune, but thats ur call, the weather def. plays a role in ur tune...vinny ten is great with the ss box and innovative is not very familiar but id say they will be able to handle it if that is where u choose...As far as buying a utec it is not gonna do anything for u that the ss box cant with ur setup..Im sure they are pushing u to buy a utec because they prolly sell them and can make some profit off u and that is what they like to tune...I know u wanna get it done now and all but u would be better off to wait till it warms up and make an apt. at vinny ten if u are gonna stay with ur ss box setup..If u go with a utec u would have to pull out ur ss box, fmu and inline pump and install bigger injectors and a walbro 255 in the tank to use the utec so its gonna cost u for something u really dont need with the setup u have..
Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 AM
carscrainer

I think I am going to have it tuned thursday just so I know it is alright and then when it warms up I will make a trip out of it and take it to vinnyten and have them tweek it some more. The track opens up near the end of april and I cant wait to see how she runs! I prob need to start looking for a good set of tires!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 AM
tylerxfire

I think I am going to have it tuned thursday just so I know it is alright and then when it warms up I will make a trip out of it and take it to vinnyten and have them tweek it some more. The track opens up near the end of april and I cant wait to see how she runs! I prob need to start looking for a good set of tires!
yeah give it a shot..u can always have the tune fixed as long as u have the money...Odds are it will need to be tweaked once summer hits and thats the time to take it to vinny...good luck lemme know how u make out

when i go to the track i have a seperate set of 17" wheels with mt et streets on them i take and swap on when i get there, street tires at the track with the power is worthless ill spin em all the way thru 3rd easy
Old 02-07-2010, 10:06 AM
carscrainer

I would like a spare set of rims and tires but I am not sure if I will be able to get them to the track everytime. Dont really have room in the car for them lol. I live a good hour and half from the dragstrip in my area and often go alone. If my buddies go we trailer the bikes and I could throw the tires in the back but if they dont go I still would like to be able to just drive their and race. I would just change the tires and drive to the track but that will wear my tires out pretty fast wouldnt it? Also I have the track model with the brembo brakes will 17's fit over them or do I have to stick with 18's?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 AM
tylerxfire

I would like a spare set of rims and tires but I am not sure if I will be able to get them to the track everytime. Dont really have room in the car for them lol. I live a good hour and half from the dragstrip in my area and often go alone. If my buddies go we trailer the bikes and I could throw the tires in the back but if they dont go I still would like to be able to just drive their and race. I would just change the tires and drive to the track but that will wear my tires out pretty fast wouldnt it? Also I have the track model with the brembo brakes will 17's fit over them or do I have to stick with 18's?

any street tire u get u are not gonna be happy with at the track..to get ur good times u need some et streets such as to what i have or a similar type of drag tire..even drag radial tires that are a street tire do not perform very well..i pull 1.6 60ft.'s compared to my buddy with nitto drag radials and a 500whp mustang that cant seem to hook up any time we go and pulls 2.1-2.3's, he is no happy and wishes he did what i do...

I have a z man and i live 1 hour 40mns. from the track i go to...i take my spare tire and carpet out of the trunk and put one of my tires where the spare goes and the other on top of it and angled over the strut bar, it fits between the roof and strut bar..the second tire i wrap in a sheet so it doesnt mark up anything in the car, then throw towels or whatever wherever its needed to hold everything in place or where anything is rubbing, fits great..trust me it can be done ive done it and i have zero scuffs or anythign like that on my interior...

on a side note maybe we could meet up at esta this summer its in cicero out by syracuse, i dont normally go there but have before
Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 AM
tylerxfire

it depends on the wheel prolly and offset if it will fit over the brakes, but i use a cheap 5mm spacer i throw on with mine so they clear my brakes and just check to make sure the lug nuts are tight after every run..havent had a problem yet..

i have flix ftd wheels..they are very lightweight
Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
carscrainer

Thanks again for your opinion. What tires do you run? Are they a MT drag tire only? Where did you buy your extra wheels and about how much were they? I will start looking for some now and hopefully have some by the middle of aprilso I am ready when the track opens. I will check and see how far away that track is you mentioned and Im sure we could meet up their sometme this season! That would be cool and It would be nice to check out each others cars. Oh yeah I work at the Hampton Inn and I can get a killer rate on hotel rooms so if it's a drive to get their I could hook us up with some hotel rooms on the cheap!!! Just a thought. Thanks again for all the info. I cant wait until I have some rims and tires so I can make them fit into my car lol. If thats what I got to do it will be done.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 PM
carscrainer

I see now that you already said what tires and rims you use. I am going to run out of money very soon lol
Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM
tylerxfire

Thanks again for your opinion. What tires do you run? Are they a MT drag tire only? Where did you buy your extra wheels and about how much were they? I will start looking for some now and hopefully have some by the middle of aprilso I am ready when the track opens. I will check and see how far away that track is you mentioned and Im sure we could meet up their sometme this season! That would be cool and It would be nice to check out each others cars. Oh yeah I work at the Hampton Inn and I can get a killer rate on hotel rooms so if it's a drive to get their I could hook us up with some hotel rooms on the cheap!!! Just a thought. Thanks again for all the info. I cant wait until I have some rims and tires so I can make them fit into my car lol. If thats what I got to do it will be done.
MT et street 3743 tires on flix ftd wheels..i got them off a guy on g35driver, not sure where he got the rims....they are lightweight and pretty cheap i think if u search...u just have to find any 17" wheel with the same lug pattern if u were to buy those tires...pretty sure old rx-7 wheels and v6 mustang wheels fit which are pretty cheap finds...check the marketplace here too for deals and ideas...my tires hook like crazy...1.6 60ft. is nothing to joke about with a full out daily driver street car not even setup for drag racing...night and day difference to street tires and makes things alot more consistent and fun at the track...

on the hotel yea man where is it?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:27 PM
carscrainer

The hotel can be pretty much anywhere. I work at a hampton but can get a discount at best western country inn and suites and like ten other names of hotels all over the country. I just got back from a vacation in panam city and my rooms where only $30 a night. I have a website I can go on and book them online so pretty much wherever their is a hampton or Hilton brand hotel I can get a good price so I will just have to see if their is anything near the track you mentioned. Their is a country inn and suites like 15 minutes from the NYIRP track that I usually go to. Im sure their will be something near cuse too.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 AM
impacta

Default Not wanting to HI JACK

Hate to hi jack this thread, but its on topic with vortech and tune. I have an 03 g35 coupe with a vortech sc kit. The car was in storage for the winter and the battery went dead . I was just curious on if the SS box looses its tune......EVER? Im going to pick up a yellow top and some new spark plugs today. Also is this the 3.12 pulley I need for more boost?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vorte...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-10-2010, 05:58 AM
carscrainer

Originally Posted by impacta
Hate to hi jack this thread, but its on topic with vortech and tune. I have an 03 g35 coupe with a vortech sc kit. The car was in storage for the winter and the battery went dead . I was just curious on if the SS box looses its tune......EVER? Im going to pick up a yellow top and some new spark plugs today. Also is this the 3.12 pulley I need for more boost?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vorte...Q5fAccessories
My battery was bad when I bought this car. It worked for a couple days then I bought a new one and replaced it. I left my cables unhooked for 30 minutes or so and when I put it all back together the car started and ran just like it did before. So I would assume that the ss box did not and doesn't loose its tune but I am no expert on this and someone else would prob know for sure. Oh and the pulley looks right. I am not with my car right now but I know that the stock pulley and the 3.12 pulley have the same part numbers just the last 3 numbers are 312 instead of 333 so check the numbers out and you should be fine. Then you will need a re-tune for the new smaller more boost pulley.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
tylerxfire

the ss box will not loose its tune due to dead battery...the stock pulley is 3.33, the next smaller is 3.12 which can be used on a stock vortech kit and fuel system, the ss box just needs to be re-tuned for it and the car should make between 8-10psi depending on ur breathing mods...the next pulley smaller than that is the 2.87 which will make 11-13 psi depending on breathing mods and that requires a bigger fuel pump and injectors as well as a re-tune...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 PM
carscrainer

Ok just got home after spending all day at the dyno shop. I dont even know where to begin. First pull sucked only got 5pounds of boost and 260 hp then noticed a clamp was loose so we tightened two clamps and made another pull. Got 317 hp and 8 pounds of boost. My pulley should make more than 8 pounds so we checked the belt and it was loose so they pulled it off the dyno and fixed that then they noticed that the ss box has a hook up for a vacuum line or something so it know when the car is under boost and that was not hooked up to anything. So they ran a tube and hooked that up also. Then time for another pull and I am expecting a decent one and the car wont make any power and only made like 2pounds of boost. They take the car down and tighten all the clamps and give a check over and had 2 guys watch the belt to see if it was slipping which it wasnt and the car still does not make power. They do a smoke test to see if I have any boost leaks and that all seems good so then they hook up a pressure gauge to my fuel line and I have 50psi when it is idleing and running normal and as soon as it trys to make boost they say the pressure drops down to 20psi. Im confused because it just made an alright pull of 317 nothing great but at least some power than it wont make any power they tried for a couple of hours until we narrowed it down to the fuel pressure drop. Anybody have a clue why or what to do. They thought the inline fuel pump wasn;t working and they tested it and it has power and works so I dont know. I guess the plan as of now is to change the fuel filter then get a new fuel pump and get rid of the stock one and the in line pump then maybe get a new FMU they said. IDK much about this and have to just take other peoples advice and live and learn. I have to figure out why my fuel pressure drops under boost and why it worked for the 2nd pull and then wouldnt work again. They said when it made the 317hp pull the map was way off so it has room for improvement but we just cant get it to be consistant. Sorry for my bad spelling Any info or help would be greatly apreciated.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM
tylerxfire

..the inline pump is not turning on or is not set up right to rise fuel pressure with boost pressure...when u start a new map the pump needs to be turned back on in the settings and setup correctly

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
tylerxfire

where did they run that vacuum hose to?...i have one hose off the ss box and it runs to my plenum and t's off and runs down to the blow off.. also something to check for holding boost is the bypass valve...should have about 6-7 threads showing out from the adjustment screw...those lines need to be ran right or it will not be right
Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM
tylerxfire

if u wanna stay with ur fmu, inline pump and ss box setup id trailer the car or whatever to vtr, if u wanna spend the money and go with another pump and bigger injectors and get rid of what u have and buy a utec then id say stay at innovative..they must not know this setup well...just seems like they could figure it out i mean its not rocket science how it works if u really look at it
Old 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
tylerxfire

my guess would be that they setup the vacuum lines right..i mean i would hope so, and that he just isnt familiar with how to setup the ss box and it isnt rising fuel pressure correctly like i said as boost rises..

but if u say its only making like 2psi after they did the vacuum lines then something must be wrong there...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:47 AM
carscrainer

Thanks for all the help. I dont think he even tried to tune the car at all. He did not charge me for any. It just made boost the one time then they hooked up the vacuum lines and it would not make boost after they even tried unhooking it once and it still didnt make boost. I will take some time and have it looked at. Who knows hopefully its something simple

Quick Reply: My New Z with a Vortech